Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Greyhawk poll results

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Temple of Elemental Evil

<A href="http://rpgvault.ign.com">RPG Vault</a> has posted to <A href="http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/381/381193p1.html">poll results</a> for their question about how familiar people are with the setting that <b>Temple of Elemental Evil</b> will be set in:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>How familiar are you with the Greyhawk D&D campaign world?</b>
<br>
Extremely - 6.4%
<br>
Quite - 6.4%
<br>
Moderately - 10.4%
<br>
Slightly 13 10.4%
<br>
Only by name - 22.4%
<br>
Not at all - 44.0%</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Not that suprising since most D&D CRPGs are Forgotten Realms.

Mistress

Liturgist
One of the main reasons I'm interested in ToEE is that it's not yet another FR based game. It's nice to see another setting being put to use, it's just a shame that the masses are so obsessed with the FR. Don't they know variety is the spice of life?!

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Mistress said:
One of the main reasons I'm interested in ToEE is that it's not yet another FR based game. It's nice to see another setting being put to use, it's just a shame that the masses are so obsessed with the FR. Don't they know variety is the spice of life?!

Greyhawk doesn't have enough supah dual wielding ninja Drow rangers for them.

But yeah, there's gobs of D&D settings that could stand to be put to use. I'd love to see another game set in Planescape or Dark Sun. It just seems to me that the most popular D&D setting is also the most mundane.

Jed

Cipher
Lasse said:
Hmm, speaking of polls, have you thought of having a poll on Codex?

If that's an informal poll, I'd vote "Yes." I would also suggest the first formal poll should be titled, "Forum Buttons: Hideous Eyesores, or Tiny Happy Circus Tents?"

Jed

PS- ONLAY N00BS DONNT LIEK DRZZZZTZZT! 111!!!! HE HAS THE POWAH WITH HIS TWO BIGG SILIMITAR SWOARDSS!!!!!!!!!!!111

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Greyhawk, wasn't that He-Mans Castle?

By the Power of Greyhawk!

VasikkA

Liturgist
I am familiar to it only by name. Although Greyhawk setting is similar to most standard fantasy RPG settings, it's still a better choice than FR, which seems to be the standard setting in modern fantasy bulk CRPGs. I enjoyed the original Baldur's Gate. It had the D&D clichés, but at the time that was very refreshing after a long period of Ultimas, which went bad after U7. Baldur's Gate 2 took some elements of PS:T and tried to mix it with the original BG. The darker and weirder atmostphere didn't make it any better, in fact it alienated the series from the original concept and if I want to play an RPG with a dark atmosphere it'd be PS:T or Fallout, but certainly not BG2. The name 'Forgotten Realms' sells and they've(Bioware and BIS) recycled the same shit over and over again.

After way too many Forgotten Realms CRPGs, I hope Tim Cain manages to introduce the Greyhawk setting to the RPGers and also his skills as a designer to a larger audience than the fans of Fallout and Arcanum. May it be the deathblow to Infinity engine, pausable real-time combat and the Forgotten Realms setting in CRPGs, with all respect to the setting. :wink: At least Tim Cain has the potential to it.

Mistress

Liturgist
VasikkA said:
After way too many Forgotten Realms CRPGs, I hope Tim Cain manages to introduce the Greyhawk setting to the RPGers and also his skills as a designer to a larger audience than the fans of Fallout and Arcanum. May it be the deathblow to Infinity engine, pausable real-time combat and the Forgotten Realms setting in CRPGs, with all respect to the setting. :wink: At least Tim Cain has the potential to it.

Hopefully it won't lead to the Greyhawk setting being hammered to death, although that's probably doubtful given the absence of dual wielding Drow uber-rangers.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
He-man's castle is called Greyskull, HanoverF. You were close.

Rosh

Erudite
I do hope that ToEE can at least bring in a fresh breath into the computer D&D franchise. It's gotten stagnant by constantly using the UNForgotten Realms (or rather, Overused 3 Locations). Greyhawk, while it was a bit cliché in some points (since it was the original D&D setting), used and explored the setting. FR doesn't do that, often having a few major locations and the rest is transitional, or "travel fluff".

It's like the characterization of the people are of completely incompetent folk, and the interaction betwixt them is just for war and some other stuff executed in a contrived manner. Hell, the Time of Magic (Netheril, I believe) was by far one of the more creative and interesting things to have come from FR, and Netheril is largely ignored.

It's pretty bad when you can count the number of places where common things occured in FR on one hand, and the locations list extends quite a ways. Which has always been my question - why hasn't many explored a lot of the other parts of the land? Is it too much obsession with the underdark and a certain drow ranger with scimitars flying out his ass? While Bob dd good with some characters, others are crap (yay, the barbarian moron died!), and his setting portrayal is abyssmal. He could take a few lessions in the form of $5.99 and buying a Terry Pratchett book. So could a lot of these refugees from the clue farm, who all call themselves writers. Their only merit is that they offer something with a gimmick each time, with characterization and much else that is more than a little mediocre. Hell, Greyhawk was fairly good in terms of Gygax's writing, and also that of Estes when she wrote a few books in the series.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom