Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview MCA Interview of the Day

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Chris Avellone; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>IndustryGamers <a href="http://www.industrygamers.com/news/chris-avellone-obsidians-chief-rpg-designer/" target="_blank">sat down</a> with Chris Avellone. Snippet:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>IG:&nbsp;What's the most important advances in RPG design in the last few years?</strong></p>
<p><strong>CA:&nbsp;</strong>That's tough. I'll say the "advances" have been more for player convenience, sometimes good, sometimes bad, in my opinion. Journals, quest compasses that point directly to the goal and show you the route, auto-maps, etc. are helpful; at the same time, I think it undermines the thrill of victory and discovery and a lot of what makes an RPG an RPG (exploration, notably). In terms of non-interface elements, I feel the idea of morally gray choices and more focus on actions and consequences has been great for RPGs across the board. Lastly, fully voice-acted characters has been something to adapt to since&nbsp;<em>Knights of the Old Republic 1</em>, and the amount of localization, recording and audio work that requires is substantial, but I feel it's a net positive for the player.</p>
</blockquote>
<p><em>Newsitem brought to you by Redlands.</em></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

"IG: Will we see Obsidian produce and distribute its own games someday?

CA: Our eventual hope is that we can stockpile enough resources to release our own titles digitally. Smaller games can be very satisfying projects to work on, and it would be great to do that. But it's going to take time for us to get there; we want to make sure we do it right."

I.e. it will be a loooonnngggg wait before we see a game that isn't subject to a publisher's mandates.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Lastly, fully voice-acted characters has been something to adapt to since Knights of the Old Republic 1, and the amount of localization, recording and audio work that requires is substantial, but I feel it's a net positive for the player.
I enjoy the fact that role-playing game mechanics are bleeding into other genres, and the "genres" aren't as clear-cut anymore
I've been gravitating back to Dead Island more than is healthy, mostly because the progression is easy, I like the exploration, the environment choice they made and upgrades, and I find the gameplay more addictive
You don't want to have two projects with one publisher at the same time, because then it's too easy for the publisher to think “Hey, they've got two projects, I can kill one and they'll still be OK.”
Obsidian has a great track record with RPGs, so we're an obvious choice when you want to have an RPG created.
Of course, one of the greatest things about digital distribution is what it does to reduce the used game market. I hope digital distribution stabs the used game market in the heart.
Can't contain all this :lol:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Regarding that last quote: Let's be fair, you can't expect the man to disregard his own livelihood.

The most disappointing thing here is that he seems to think that voice acting is an unqualified positive, except for the resources required to implement it.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
@ Infinitron
No he says it's a net positive for the player. Why is it not a positive? If you are to have voice acting then what's the problem with it? He talks how they had to ADAPT to the VO reality. Nowhere does he say that walls of text are worse than voice acting. Jebus.

Roguey, what's the problem with those other quotes?

So RPG's are bleeding into other genres, so? He's stating a fact and if he likes ARPG's then what's the problem?

He likes Dead Island? Oh noes! How can he like something I don't????

He's right about the mentality of publishers and multiple projects. Have seen it often enough in the past, so what's your point?

Obsidian HAS a great track record with RPG's. Hasn't been a bad Obsidian game yet. Problem?

Oh no a game developer wants to make money from his game! How dare he????

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Roguey said:
I enjoy the fact that role-playing game mechanics are bleeding into other genres, and the "genres" aren't as clear-cut anymore
Of course, one of the greatest things about digital distribution is what it does to reduce the used game market. I hope digital distribution stabs the used game market in the heart.
106aiir.gif

zeitgeist

Magister
Perhaps interviews like these should be posted in a slightly modified "Anonymous Developer said this" format, so that the discourse wouldn't be as tainted by blind hero worship, but instead concentrating more on responding to and analyzing the actual ideas presented by the developer in question.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
commie said:
@ Infinitron
No he says it's a net positive for the player. Why is it not a positive? If you are to have voice acting then what's the problem with it? He talks how they had to ADAPT to the VO reality. Nowhere does he say that walls of text are worse than voice acting. Jebus.

It is positive if the narrative in the game is not very important. However, Obsidian makes narrative based games and in that case, there are many lines to be VO'd, resulting in high costs.
In this case, theoretically, voice acting would be a positive thing to a player, given unlimited budget. In practice, limited voice acting budget places constraints on writing. So, in one case we have blown-up costs on VA resulting in cuts in other departments (system design and programming and quality assurance, judging from Obsidian's track record) and in another case quantity and quality of writing suffer. The question that needs answering is: how much would fully VO'd Planescape: Torment cost?

So RPG's are bleeding into other genres, so? He's stating a fact and if he likes ARPG's then what's the problem?

He likes Dead Island? Oh noes! How can he like something I don't????

His tastes influence the games he makes. If he likes ARPGs and AARPGs, there is a good chance that he will make similar games, and in fact, that is what he does. Obsidian's last attempt at a non-action RPG was NWN 2 series, and that was years ago.

Obsidian HAS a great track record with RPG's. Hasn't been a bad Obsidian game yet. Problem?

Some would say that there hasn't been a good Obsidian game yet. I think that they've had their share of hits and misses (with Alpha Protocol being absolute shit), but even their good games have major flaws (with MOTB being the least flawed by far, not counting Nev Vegas DLC which I haven't completed yet) and many people aren't able to forgive those flaws.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
janjetina said:
His tastes influence the games he makes. If he likes ARPGs and AARPGs, there is a good chance that he will make similar games, and in fact, that is what he does.
I wish it would be the case. The thing is, the personal preference of one game designer has nothing to do, with the business decisions. If a publisher says to Obsidian to make a hardcore RPG, Obsidian will do it. If they say make a dumbed down action RPG, Obsidian will make that.

What you say is true to small indie developers.

Shadenuat

Arcane
The question that needs answering is: how much would fully VO'd Planescape: Torment cost?

But Planescape did benefit from VO nevertheless, it had just the right amount of it to spice every major character and scene.. it was't completely abcent there.
I know I can be hanged for this, but without it's VO Planescape would't be that memorable and special to me (just like BG2).
And yeah I get it that when people talk about VO they like always talking absolutes, but still.

torpid

Liturgist
A fairly mundane interview in my book. Does the usual "things have changed and change is good" thing that all developers tend to do these days. I view genres blending together as a crappy development that'll eventually lead to all AAA games being utterly interchangeable and equally dull, but him considering that to be a good thing is probably because he's thinking that'll give Obsidian more options in the future with more titles being sold as RPGs.

Obsidian has a great track record with RPGs, so we're an obvious choice when you want to have an RPG created.

:lol:

The only thing that made me curious was

One of the problems with a studio formed by people from a big company can be that they inherit a methodology from the big company that just doesn't work at a small scale. They end up spending too much money up front doing things like buying furniture and equipment and then don't have enough towards the end to finish the project.

tell us more about the jacuzzi in the penthouse on the top floor MCA

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Shadenuat said:
The question that needs answering is: how much would fully VO'd Planescape: Torment cost?

But Planescape did benefit from VO nevertheless, it had just the right amount of it to spice every major character and scene.. it was't completely abcent there.
I know I can be hanged for this, but without it's VO Planescape would't be that memorable and special to me (just like BG2).
And yeah I get it that when people talk about VO they like always talking absolutes, but still.

Bolded for emphasis. In short, VO is icing on the cake, but there is a danger of getting a smaller cake to accommodate the icing (cutting the content out to afford full voice-overs). Regardless,, the protagonist should stay silent.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
commie said:

NWN2. How they took a soulless but functional engine and turned it into an even more soulless bugfest is beyond my my ability to comprehend.

Peter

Arcane
IG: Will we see Obsidian produce and distribute its own games someday?

CA: Our eventual hope is that we can stockpile enough resources to release our own titles digitally. Smaller games can be very satisfying projects to work on, and it would be great to do that. But it's going to take time for us to get there; we want to make sure we do it right.

We can only hope that this does, in fact, happen someday. :salute:

J_C said:
janjetina said:
His tastes influence the games he makes. If he likes ARPGs and AARPGs, there is a good chance that he will make similar games, and in fact, that is what he does.
I wish it would be the case. The thing is, the personal preference of one game designer has nothing to do, with the business decisions. If a publisher says to Obsidian to make a hardcore RPG, Obsidian will do it. If they say make a dumbed down action RPG, Obsidian will make that.

What you say is true to small indie developers.

This ++

You take whatever contracts the publisher gives you. End of story. You're making the games, not playing them - what matters is getting secure contracts and multiple projects with different publishers to try to hedge against the Troika downfall of no publisher willing to contract with them (again, Troika fell because they couldn't secure a publisher for their next project - the games themselves didn't take them under, but they didn't need to if the publishers are too stupid to understand the longer shelf-life of VtM:B and factor that into Troika's record).

Also, the comment about Obsidian having 'a great record', in context, had absolutely nothing to do with the quality of their crpgs. He was talking about whether Obsidian was finding it easy or hard to get publishers to contract with them, and how with Bioware now publisher-owned (hence out of the market for anyone but EA), Obsidian is doing well out of getting contracts that might have formerly gone to Bioware first. By the 'great record' he is talking about getting the publishers their sales - quite the reverse of saying that they have made monocle games. Remember, Obsidian works on a model where they get paid a flat fee to make a game for a publisher, to the publishers specs and mandates, and then the publisher gets the money from the sales. Even when they create a new IP, as in Alpha Protocol, Obsidian doesn't actually get to own the IP - the publisher takes full ownership of the IP and can give the sequels to whoever they want, because the publisher is in a strong enough position that they simply won't contract unless they get to own the IP.

Which, from a business perspective, means it is pretty silly to try to make an original IP. You're going to have to make it fit the publisher's requirements anyway, so it isn't as though you get any real artistic freedom from it. And you don't even get to own it - all your hard work in building the setting and lore becomes the publisher's property. Surely it makes more sense to try to get the publisher to give YOU an existing IP to work with - you're getting the same money for much less work, and you don't have the humiliation of the publisher walking off with the IP you spent the last few years inventing.

For a developer's taste in games to affect the type of games they make, they need the capacity to self-publish. Troika proved that even if your games are profitable, you can't survive making monocle crpgs if you have to rely on publishers to back you. Obsidian doesn't have that, and from his comments it seems that they're nowhere near achieving it - they're aiming to try to be able to digitally distribute some smaller (read: more interesting but less costly) titles some time in the future, at best (mind you, if you are planning to self-publish, you sure as fuck want to keep that secret, or at least play it down, until the last fucking minute or else you aren't going to get any publisher funding for your current projects, as they're going to see you as a competitor that needs killing before you get established).

In the very rare case that a (professional) developer's personal taste in games affects her/his choice of games to make, I'd actually go further and say the developer is LESS likely to make the kind of games that he likes to play himself. That's very common in film, animation and writing. It's why Tim Cain liked Oblivion. You need to remember, when someone from the tech end of entertainment sees these products, half the time they aren't really watching the movie or playing the game, they're thinking about how those sets were built, how the CGI was handled, what coding tricks were used to get around that engine restriction, and so on. It's much easier for a someone who works in entertainment to switch that off and relax (and be entertained) when the product is very different to what he/she works on. If you're spending your days mapping out C+C flow-charts on story-boarding software, or working on quest design, you're going to find it difficult to just turn off and play a game that has those items in it. That doesn't mean you don't play them - you do, and you're more likely to be impressed by the games that take a really different approach to your own (why would Tim be impressed by another Arcanum - he's already made that and knows how it works - Oblivion, on the other hand, is different to anything he's worked on, and as a coder it's probable that he'd run into things and think 'how the fuck did they manage to code that into this engine?"). But when you want to actually relax and play a game, rather than analyse a competitor's product, it's going to be something far removed from the stuff that makes up your 9-5.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Damn, reading Azrael really made me feel how fucked up the gaming industry is nowadays. "By gamers for gamers" really sounds like a joke in comparison :(

I guess I could put my hopes into services like Steam, and pray that digital distribution would allow creative teams to make games that they really would love to make without publishers dictatorship and cutting their profits.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Shadenuat said:
Damn, reading Azrael really made me feel how fucked up the gaming industry is nowadays. "By gamers for gamers" really sounds like a joke in comparison :(

I guess I could put my hopes into services like Steam, and pray that digital distribution would allow creative teams to make games that they really would love to make without publishers dictatorship and cutting their profits.

Brilliant post from Azrael, as usual. However, I'm not that optimistic about the whole self-funded Steam thing either... Not to go full Skyway here, but are there even any really good indie games being released? It seems like mostly the same crappy design as the big budget "AAA"- titles but with cutesy, cartoony graphics instead of the "glorious", DirectX 11-enabled, over-bloomed, over motion-blurred, gray-and-brown next-gen landscapes.

attackfighter

Magister
janjetina said:
Shadenuat said:

Bolded for emphasis. In short, VO is icing on the cake, but there is a danger of getting a smaller cake to accommodate the icing (cutting the content out to afford full voice-overs). Regardless,, the protagonist should stay silent.

Also voice acting distracts you from reading the dialogue yourself (and reading is generally superior). It's fine when a few important lines are voiced, but when boring dialogue is voiced it just gets frusterating. I'd rather read it myself and get it out of the way quicker, but reading when you have stupid background voices is annoying.

Redlands

Arcane
Shadenuat said:

That's not going to happen. I mean, digital distribution is pretty much essential for any type of non-mainstream game, but there's a huge problem with the way things are going, and quite a lot of them stem from the Steam model.

First of all, Steam (and most of the digital distribution platforms like it) are business ventures. They're not opening their doors for everyone, and even when they do it's not necessarily an immediate thing. Of course, they still sell a lot of garbage, and I'm not necessarily talking about stuff like Oblivion or Dragon Age 2 here but stuff like the Farming Simulator series: see LordKat's videos on the game here and here to see why this game is a pretty big mess. Then we have GOG selling Might and Magic IX: again, probably a deal, and probably selling it for completion and it'll probably earn them money. Either that or it's part of a deal for better games to also be sold on their services. And while you have Desura (which is specifically designed for indies), it's got nowhere near the consumer base that Steam or probably even GOG have. Add in the "I'll only buy it if it's on Steam" idiot crowd, if you're not on Steam then you're going to have a problem competing with Johnny Twee-Platformer that are super-popular among the dork set in the way of people knowing about your game, people thinking your game is valuable ("Oh, it's not on Steam? It must suck then.") or willing to go through the "tortuous" effort of having to oversee their own patches and such.

Second, these services and their repeated sales, while at first glance good for consumers, are just going to encourage the expectation of sales in the consumer base. If you're a developer, you're going to have to budget your game at "sale price", which for niche or more experimental games doesn't necessarily cater for higher volume of sales to make up for it. For indies this means less money to play around with; so how do you develop games? Well, you make platformers and very easy-to-play versions of games that a lot of people will like. It's not too surprising that these are the type of games that we see getting made most of the time: the "Apple Store" effect, if you will - lowered price expectations, which will eventually mean that you're forced to cater your game for a wider audience just to break even.

Third, even if they're not on Steam or some other big service, they're in competition with them and the games that are on them. I'm seeing on lots of game sites and developer blogs "I'd buy your game but it's too expensive" when the game is $25, and is a 30-hour RPG. And not only with other indies, but on-sale AAA titles, and older AAA titles that have become cheaper over time (see GOG, and the usual price decreases and GOTY packs that get released now).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
True. This isn't said very often, but the high price tag of video games is, in a way, the last barrier between us and complete derp.
You thought a 60 dollar game had to be dumbed down to reach an audience of 5 million and break even? Just think what a 20 dollar game has to do to break even.

That said, I don't think anybody has ever attempted to intentionally make a very cheap, yet very high production quality AAA-type game, with the intention of selling it to tens of millions of people. It's always high budget->high price or low budget->low price.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom