Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dungeon Lords skillz

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Dungeon Lords; Heuristic Park Inc.

I'm not sure whether or not it's news, but I feel the urge to post something, and this stuff is as good as any other crap I may inflict upon you. Anyway, here is the <a href=http://www.dungeonlordsgame.com/skillsmain1.php>full list</a> of Dungeon Lords' skills and their semi-detailed descriptions. The amusing (or retarded, depends on how you look at things) thing here is the skill set called <a href=http://www.dungeonlordsgame.com/skillsmain7.php>Diabolical Skills</a>.
<br>
<br>
Unlike combat skills, Diabolical Skillz (tm) are primarily used for inflicting harm on enemies and other characters. Makes sense? Not really. Apparently, when you swing a sword you aren't really trying to <a href=http://www.dungeonlordsgame.com/skillsmain7.php?k=2>Inflict Wounds</a>, because this is a Diabolical Skill. Same applies to Critical Strike, Ninjutsu, and Backstab. I guess the concept of backstabbing is so diabolical that no regular un-diabolical person could come up with it.
<br>
<br>
I know, I know, these are just skills, and those are just names, but do they really have to be so retarded?
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Dot</A>

Oyarsa

Novice
www.m-w.com anyone?

Then there's this from the Magic Skills:

Resist Purification
Refers to a character's resistance to effects that paralyze or disable.

And to demonstrate the intelligence of the target audience:

Resist Poison
Refers to a character's resistance to poison.

Wonder what Wonko the Sane would say.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Saint_Proverbius said:
Any western style fantasy setting game with a skill called "ninjitsu" could be called retarded.
I does seem non-sensical.
It should have been called something boring (but accurate) like "Martial Arts".

But then again DWB always chucks in these oriental thingies, that sound a little stoopid against his western-style RPG backgrounds. So, nevermind.

Vault Dweller said:
Apparently, when you swing a sword you aren't really trying to Inflict Wounds, because this is a Diabolical Skill.
Yeah, dumb name. As far as I can tell "Inflict Wounds" should have been called "Heavy Wounds" or something, as it refers to a special effect whereby you do an unusually large amount of damage, followed by a regular loss of HP effect that lasts for a certain time.
Ironically, if they had called it something just as general like "Wounding", then more people would have known what they meant - plenty of games translate a special "Wounding" effect as doing this. E.g. Sword of Wounding.

The problem with calling them "Diabolical" skills is that people will associate them with magic, and only two of the seven skills are.
The two magic skills there should simply be shoved into "Magic Skills".
The other five should be in something called "Attack Skills" IMHO.
(They already have "Weaponry Skills", which are basically "Weapon Proficiencies")

Deathboy

Liturgist
space captain said:
especially since ninjitsu isnt a fighting style per se - but rather the entire system of stealth, disguise, fighting and philosophy followed by the various ninja schools....
I gotta a mate who's third dan in Ninjitsu, I'm pretty sure he just fights but I might quiz him about the disguise aspect, accussing him of cross dressing may be fun :D

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I guess calling "Inflict Wounds" "Bleeding Wounds" would have been too straightforward. Doesn't WoW have such a skill as well? Was it Rend, maybe?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom