Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Restricted Area English Demo

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Master Creating; Restricted Area

master creating and Whiptail Interactive have put out a demo of the upcoming cyberpunk action RPG Restricted Area. You can grab it at <a href=http://worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=24649&mode=thread&order=0>Worthplaying</a>, <a href=http://www.fileplanet.com/files/150000/152189.shtml>FilePlanet</a>, <a href=http://download.boomtown.net/en_uk/articles/art.view.php?id=7876>BoomTown</a>, <a href=http://files.filefront.com/Restricted_Area_Demo/;3844705;;/fileinfo.html>FileFront</a> and a bunch of other places.<blockquote>Restricted Area is an action-based roleplaying game with realtime combat, which combines a fascinating gameplay similar to Diablo 2 with innovative technology, tactic-shooter elements and a dark future scenario. Whiptail has released a demo allowing you to play 1 level as one of the four characters, Johnson. You start in the city where you can buy weapons, find out information, get implants and more...</blockquote>I find it extremely underwhelming, with the translation being excessively poor. Your mileage may vary.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
The translation and voice acting are a bit off in places, but who wasn't expecting that? I ran in to a glitch with the graphics when the menu popped up after hitting ESC as well. It feels a little clumsy in places as well. When you're holding down the left mouse button on a bad guy to attack and the instant they flop over, you're running to that spot where they were. I guess I need to play with the shift key when I'm shooting.

Still, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I had a lot of fun with the ranged combat. I liked how the shotgun blast had a spread to it, even if the reload thing can make for some hairy situations. If you let the monsters get close, that shotgun does a buttload of damage. I also like that I didn't have to worry about ammo management.

Lady Armageddona

Liturgist
Is it better than the german demo of last year? That felt like I was playing Moorhuhn with muties insteads of chicken, and had much graphic gliches - I am shooting, the badies fall on the ground in a huge black square.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
It's just a copy of Diablo 2 in my eyes, so it's crap.

*Bang Bang* "You're dead, ...Zombie!"

Graphics are nice, though.

Txiasaeia

Novice
Spazmo said:
I find it extremely underwhelming, with the translation being excessively poor. Your mileage may vary.

Downloading now, but can you give some examples of poor translation?

Surlent

Liturgist
Funny, when I played the demo I got the urge to play Sacred.
Is it just me or was the game ridiculously easy thanks to long range weapons with infinite ammo ? It had good background music though.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
You know, I actually enjoyed it alot, it was refreshing for me cause it's somewhat Sci-Fi, rather than the standard fantasy drivel you see so often.

Grifman

Liturgist
Major_Blackhart said:
You know, I actually enjoyed it alot, it was refreshing for me cause it's somewhat Sci-Fi, rather than the standard fantasy drivel you see so often.

Yeah, same here. I played the German demo when it came out and really enjoyed it. The flamethrower is alot of fun - nice mutie barbeque :)

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I actually enjoyed it. Then again, I've been itching for a non-fantasy action CRPG type game, and this kind of reminds me of Syndicate meets Diablo.

The first area of the mission is pretty easy, but it gets nastier once you go in to the mission warehouse. Yeah, unlimited ammo might make the game easier, but honestly, has anyone ever had fun keeping track of ammo in any game?

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
Actually I did a bit in Fallout. But I think that's just because it's post-apoc and I liked the idea of scrounging for whatever I needed to live.

germx

Novice
I experienced the grafic as quite glitchy... The barrels just dissapeared into the walls when pushing them, and so did enemies when walking through doors... Was quite fun though... exept the fact that the save didn't work.. (or maybe it did.. but the load didn't) and it crashed when trying to maximize window after minimizing...
The graphic enginge was crap too... ugly and slow...

But i would probably play it again... if full and free... :?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Sarkile said:
Actually I did a bit in Fallout. But I think that's just because it's post-apoc and I liked the idea of scrounging for whatever I needed to live.

Well, I was talking about more action oriented style games. It never bothered me in Fallout because combat is rather quick and you have lots of opportunities to check your ammo status because it's turn based.

In action CRPGs, you're typically ALWAYS fighting and you're fighting horde upon horde. It's pretty easy to get carried away and run out of arrows or whatever in games like Diablo. At least with Diablo, you can quickly town portal back to town and buy some more. In other games, it's even more annoying because you have to stop and walk a good distance. Plus it takes up precious inventory space.

germx said:
Was quite fun though... exept the fact that the save didn't work.. (or maybe it did.. but the load didn't)

Saving and loading are disabled in the demo, which blows. They're already limiting you to one class and very little of the game, so why limit it without saving?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom