Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Inquisitor English Website Launched

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Inquisitor

Czech "Diablo-like with a story on top" RPG Inquisitor has just received its very own official English website, http://inquisitor-rpg.com. Apparently that's because "the release of the English version of Inquisitor is getting closer." Who would've thought!

The English website is now online!

As the release of the English version of Inquisitor is getting closer, it is the right time to launch the English website. Don’t be afraid to check everything it offers to you, such as an extensive introduction to the game world, basics you should know, as well as the details about the main characters or an in-depth overview of all seven fields of magic (both permitted and forbidden). There are even several new screenshots from the English version waiting for you in the Gallery!​

So I headed to the Gallery and here's what I saw:

CwUpt.jpg

You too can check out the official website to see if it's your thing.

Spotted at Gamebanshee

Stabwound

Arcane
Wow, I thought this game had become vaporware. It looked pretty interesting, sort of like an atmospheric Diablo/Divine Divinity cross.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Damn, getting this one out has sure been one giant uphill battle. At the moment a lot of the effort is fan-based. And I doubt the translating dude has been getting a steady paycheck out of this either for the past year(s).

Also... Steam?

So... both intro and outro videos are now in English (subtitles only, there is no voice-over in them, nor in the game itself). And now that ingame text...

Also, if you have Steam account and would like to see Inquisitor there, please join our community group (see below). It could help us to get Inquisitor onto Steam if there is a group full of fans (and potential customers for Valve) there. Thanks.

Heh:

Wow, I thought this game had become vaporware. It looked pretty interesting, sort of like an atmospheric Diablo/Divine Divinity cross.

Yeah, I like the graphic style, would buy it, as soon as it is translated. They should use kickstarter to get the game properly translated. At least they have something to show, and only need to translate it. :smug: And I definitely like what I see.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I am pretty sure it's been released in Czechoslovakia for at least 2 years now. Was just wondering about the opinions on the local market. Anyone has any intel? Shit or not? More like Diablo or BG/IWD crpg? If latter I may be interested.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Waaaaait a second. I just checked the image gallery, and I have to say that some of the environments look SUSPICIOUSLY a lot like the game Sacred. Suspiciously even to the point of giving me a huge deja vu.

Phelot

Arcane
Heh. This is that game that has spawned numerous threads asking about it. People who have actually played it claim it's shit IIRC.

I am pretty sure it's been released in Czechoslovakia for at least 2 years now. Was just wondering about the opinions on the local market. Anyone has any intel? Shit or not? More like Diablo or BG/IWD crpg? If latter I may be interested.

I picked up a copy and even contemplated writing a review for the Codex, but in the end I barely managed to complete the first chapter (out of the total of three, if I'm not mistaken).

It is more or less a Diablo clone. There are differences, but combat mostly consists of repeatedly spamming the best spell/attack available, interspersed with copious potion consumption. I did not find the gameplay very well balanced or addictive and the main dungeon in particular became really tedious relatively fast (the need to backtrack constantly due to absence of a "town portal" spell did not help). Overall difficulty felt distinctly higher than that of similar recent games I've seen (which are not many -- Diablo clones are easily my least favourite RPG subgenre).

Interface and inventory leave a lot to be desired and can get downright annoying at times. There's a large number of quests but practically all of them are linear and of the fetch/kill variety. The torture gimmick is a gimmick.

There are many dialogues, but a very large portion of them is taken up by various NPC's responses to the essentially same set of questions (related to the investigation you conduct) which predictably does get repetitive (although this also means you get to hear various views on and interpretations of the same facts, which is arguably one of the game's more interesting elements).

Writing is uneven, full of faux "ye olde" Czech, and generally nothing much to write home about. Given the huge quantity (i.e. high cost of even a passable translation) and questionable quality of the original text, I expect the English version (if it ever happens) to be something along the lines of the first Two Worlds game.

All in all, the game has a large quantity of everything from text to spells to NPCs, monsters, etc. (it's advertised as having well over 100 hours of gameplay and I think that may even be a conservative estimation), but is otherwise quite forgettable. Even if the translation proved good (which I doubt), I'd only recommend it to people who are either really fond of this type of gameplay or find the idea of playing as an inquisitor particularly captivating.

Judging by the screenshots, the translation is actually better than I would have expected (and appears to have dropped much of the faux medieval language of the original), but there are still mistakes and idioms translated more or less word-for-word. I'd estimate the overall quality to be close to (but worse than) the original English version of The Witcher.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
They have a skill named "Flagellanism". Surely, that must count for something on the Codex.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Waaaaait a second. I just checked the image gallery, and I have to say that some of the environments look SUSPICIOUSLY a lot like the game Sacred. Suspiciously even to the point of giving me a huge deja vu.

I'm almost 100% sure there's no plagiary here : sacred didn't have that gothic vibe. The perspective and size of characters look the same though...

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hope that they will have a demo. If the translation isn't bloody awful it should be a nice way to spend some gaming time before AoD, Shadowrun, W2 shows up.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I see they're flaunting their 80 and 76 notes. Would that mean some :incline: from Czech gaming journalism ?

ShlongMaster

Educated
I played it some time ago, though I wasn't particularly impressed, played for about an hour then lost interest, maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it at the time. I don't think the comparison to Diablo is accurate, apart from the hack and slash combat it's quite different, and even then the combat is a fairly different.

If anyone wants more info I guess I could install the game and make some screenshots, some comments and share some insights on the game and its mechanics.

I played it some time ago, though I wasn't particularly impressed, played for about an hour then lost interest, maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it at the time. I don't think the comparison to Diablo is accurate, apart from the hack and slash combat it's quite different, and even then the combat is a fairly different.

If anyone wants more info I guess I could install the game and make some screenshots, some comments and share some insights on the game and its mechanics.
Do that, I'd be interested in your thoughts once you have seen a slightly more representative portion of the game.

In theory, the combat/character development system does look a fair bit more complicated than that of an average Diablo clone. In practice, the options consist mostly of numerous variations on damage dealing/passive damage reduction/healing. You end up spamming whichever attack deals the most damage at any given moment and drinking healing potions (that at least is the impression I got from the first chapter). Divine Divinity comes pretty close to the actual concept, but was (in my opinion) a superior game in every respect.

ShlongMaster

Educated
Alright, installed the game and took some screens of the menu, and character creation screen. This is more of a test to check where I want to upload them from and what resolutions to use etc.

Main Menu:

Inquisitor2012-04-0814-29-32-51.jpg

Character selection screen:

There are three character classes, going from left to right:

Paladin - Melee class that hits people, probably has some magical abilities as well.

Priest - Caster class, The class will probably have a bunch of offensive spells/abilities and some support, healing and buffs.

Thief - Rogue/ranged class, will use bows, daggers and probably sneak around and steal/backstab stuff.

Inquisitor2012-04-0814-29-48-07.jpg

Character Creation:

Inquisitor2012-04-0814-31-34-20.jpg

Starting from the top left you can see the characters class, below that is a little box for naming the character.

Right below that are the stats which are as follows: Strength - Agility - Intelligence - Endurance - Speed.

You then have 25 points which can be distributed as you like. Also the default numbers will change slightly depending on the class you picked, as you can see my paladin has 10 strength 5 agility and 5 endurance which I assume are his primrary/class important stats.

Next up is magic books ( that's a direct traslation so it might sound strange, basically it's the different magic types you will have access to) and there are 6 types of magic, 3 blue and 3 red. I assume the blue spells are "good" spells and the red are "evil".
As you can see below that, I have 2 blue points to distribute seeing as how I am using a paladin.

The magic types are as follows, going from top to bottom. Blue: Godly magic - Magic of true faith - Miracle magic.... Red: Inquisition Magic - Heretic magic - Pagan magic.....

Now going from the top right, Health, stamina and mana - these values will be determined by your stat points.

Below that are the skills, I didn't pick any so I'm guessing that they are class dependant.

The skills are as follows: Face to face combat - Ranged combat - Armored combat - Observation - Identification - Shield usage - Toughness - Blessed protection - Estimation of the enemy - Gods strike - Defense - Smithing.

Each of the skills has four levels of mastery and requisites in order to improve the skill. when hovering over the skill more information is displayed about what the skill does etc. But I can't be arsed to translate all of that:troll:

Last is the portrait, there are only 4 of them for paladin, so don't expect too much customisation.

I'll be doing an update on this soon, a bit more in depth and going through the actual game, describing the combat, story, gameplay, how the game feels, looks and plays. Taking lots of screenshots of the UI, locations, combat and all that good stuff. So if anyone is interested make sure to check in after a day or two, best case scenario is this time tomorrow.

Texas Red

Whiner
Thank you, Shlong. This is quite interesting, as this game has been on my radar forever. Please post more!

Based on the description of the website, the emphasis seems to be on investigation, torture and confessions. Yet it is often described as a Diablo close. How significant is this part of the game and how much dialog does it involve?

Also would like to hear more about the magic and the various school.s

LordDenton

Augur
Looks interesting, but I'm going to pass if it's anything like Diablo, as Diablo is one of the worst games ever made.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Man, those graphics/aesthetics are looking nice, I like such detailed UIs going into detail, instead of the "here is a transparent black box where you can see your health and ammo" UIs we are getting today. If it's "just" like Diablo but with prettier graphics and some dialogs then it's heaven, I enjoyed DII for what it was.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom