Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Chris Avellone To Write Wasteland 2 Novella for $30 Kickstarter Tier

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Brian Fargo; Chris Avellone; Kickstarter; Wasteland 2

Brian Fargo has just tweeted that the $30 Kickstarter tier will include - among other things such as a digital concept art book, another digital copy of the game on a different platform of your choosing, a "making of Wasteland 2" documentary and the Mark Morgan soundtrack - a special Chris Avellone-written Wasteland 2 novella:

Good news... @ChrisAvellone just agreed to write a Wasteland novella for the $30 tier. We'll add that to the list.​

If you still haven't upped your pledge, you can do it right now. Can't think of a better incentive, really.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I upped to 65$. Found some money... in someone else pants... he won't need them anymore.

Deleted member 7219

Mine's at $55 so I'll be getting the MCA book anyway.

Stelcio

Savant
Meh. Even if I had more money to spend, which I don't, I wouldn't rise my pledge for some novella. The first tier is the best deal out there TBH.

Chuck Norris

Augur
Avellone's sexual partner doesn't suck his dick as much as Codex does. You guys are overrating him way too much.
On topic, couldn't care less about a novella for a game even if it was written by Arthur C. Clarke. You want to say something about the game, say it IN the game or don't say it cause it wasn't probably worth saying. Novella, comic, short animation, etc are all bullshit.

Morkar Left

That's your opinion. Mine is different. Such novellas can greatly add to the gameworld and enhance it beyond the things you get to see in a game. The Dark Wheel novella for the original Elite for example was setting the whole mood for the game at the time and even creating some gaming myth till today. The All Roads grapic novella to NV enhanced the game, too by connecting locations and persons from the novella with the game. You could even get some hidden hints in the novella about some locations and some people got more characterisation and personality as would have been possible in the game alone.
They simple add more depht to the gaming world by flashing it out.

Deleted member 7219

Chuck Norris is a Christian fundamentalist evolution-denying far-right dickhead, I don't care what he or some sad fuck emulating him at a keyboard has to say about a genius video game writer like Chris Avellone.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Avellone's sexual partner doesn't suck his dick as much as Codex does. You guys are overrating him way too much.
On topic, couldn't care less about a novella for a game even if it was written by Arthur C. Clarke. You want to say something about the game, say it IN the game or don't say it cause it wasn't probably worth saying. Novella, comic, short animation, etc are all bullshit.

Have you actually read some of the older game manuals or "extras" from games like Ultima, Darklands, Stonekeep, etc.? Those things greatly increased my sense of the gaming world as well as my enjoyment of them.

WalmartJesus

Learned
This is overkill when all you need to have for a successful Post-Apocalyptic RPG that gets GOTY awards from IGN = Teddy Bear Launchers and a Zany Nigger Disc Jockey who despite being sound asleep in front of you...is still able to do a radio show.

Well guys, it isn't just that you get the novella, you really get a bunch of shit for only 30 dollars. For example you can give another copy of the game to your girlfriend and incline her. :smug:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
wow. a book. *puts on his digital N7 hoodie*

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Wow, what's the hate? You get the novella, an additional game, and video interviews with the lead devs. I will up my pledge.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
This is overkill when all you need to have for a successful Post-Apocalyptic RPG that gets GOTY awards from IGN = Teddy Bear Launchers and a Zany Nigger Disc Jockey who despite being sound asleep in front of you...is still able to do a radio show.
THIS IS THREE-DAWG! BOW-WOW

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Crooked Bee, you forgot to point out the bad part:

Access to a collection of exclusive Ranger portraits that will double the pool of character portraits you have to choose from at the start of the game when you are rolling up your Rangers. This unique image collection will not only give you more Ranger portraits, but more Ranger icons used to display your party location on the world map.
:x
Why they just can't understand that one of the great revolutions of kickstarter is to get rid of horrible launch DLC/exclusive content? Shadowrun also is doing the same thing now, with a backer-only mission that will tie-in the SNES/Genesis games...one would have though that the developers would be the first one to say "NO" to mutilating their game in various editions and decreasing the overall experience of some gamers...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Crooked Bee, you forgot to point out the bad part:

Access to a collection of exclusive Ranger portraits that will double the pool of character portraits you have to choose from at the start of the game when you are rolling up your Rangers. This unique image collection will not only give you more Ranger portraits, but more Ranger icons used to display your party location on the world map.
:x
Why they just can't understand that one of the great revolutions of kickstarter is to get rid of horrible launch DLC/exclusive content? Shadowrun also is doing the same thing now, with a backer-only mission that will tie-in the SNES/Genesis games...one would have though that the developers would be the first one to say "NO" to mutilating their game in various editions and decreasing the overall experience of some gamers...

Isn't that like getting some additional .bmp files in the portraits directory of an Infinity Engine game?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
MCA has actually written for some Star Wars comic books.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Isn't that like getting some additional .bmp files in the portraits directory of an Infinity Engine game?
If it was just character portraits probably, but "Ranger icons used to display your party location on the world map"? Whatever that means, it sounds a little more advanced.
Besides, it's the concept of they doing that that bothers me, we just gave them shitloads of money to get rid of publishers and their annoying exclusives/DLC shit-marketing, yet the developers themselves happily do the same thing...:decline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom