Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Jordan Weisman Talks Shadowrun Returns at Shacknews

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Jordan Weisman; Shadowrun; Shadowrun Returns

Shacknews has posted an interview with Jordan Weisman. As expected, he doesn't reveal anything too substantial about the game play, but some bits are pretty interesting nevertheless:

"Cyberpunk, at its core, is all about the dehumanisation of humanity," Shadowrun creator Jordan Weisman tells to me. "Both on the micro scale, where we start putting tons of gear and electronics in our bodies because what nature gave us isn't good enough anymore, and on the macro scale, with the disassembly of governments, and their replacement by mega-corporations that owe nothing to their citizens."

... Along with all your cyberpunk favourites--hackers with keyboards strapped to their backs, megacorporations above the law, crime, filth, vice, mirrorshades, and razors springing forth from fingertips--the pen & paper RPG first released in 1989 has a magical twist. In 2011, so the story goes, magic returned to the world. Elven and dwarven babies are born to surprised parents (with orks, trolls, gnomes, vampires, and other fantasy fare to come), dragons re-emerge, and people find themselves developing magical abilities.

This, Weisman says, was to provide an "interesting counterpoint" to the aforementioned cyberpunk dehumanisation of humanity, "something that is all about humanity and nature." The more Shadowrun spellcasters technologically augment their bodies, the less in touch they are with their magic. "It became this shining edge to the dystopian cloud of cyberpunk, that maybe through the perseverance of nature, as personified by magic, there was a way back from this hell that we had created."

Shadowrun Returns is set in the universe's 2050s, during the era of the P&P RPG's Second Edition, where the tech is still pleasantly low-tech and chunky. "As an inadvertent prognosticator of the future, I'm pretty proud of the number of things we got right, but missed a couple of big ones, like the concept of being wireless", Weisman said.

... [Shadowrun Returns will] follow an "anthology" format, with several authors writing related chapters of an over-arching story. While Weisman makes clear it won't be a sandbox game, he says there will be room for a little branching.

"Admittedly this is a space we're still charting out, but I do believe that a good RPG at its core has to be a branching structure. You have to be able to give the player the ability to explore, both physically as well as emotionally, different directions that they might take."

... What is confirmed is an editor. While it is purely an editor, not a full mod kit, Weisman believes it'll give users "quite significant" powers to tell their own Shadowrun stories. You won't be able to import your own assets, but can repurpose the stock art to your own ends.

The game will be in 2D, but Harebrained Schemes is still working on an art style to evoke its "retro history" without scaring away new players. "We want to make sure that we capture that essence without being dated," Weisman said. "That's a fun challenge, but also one that we know will take several iterations to get right."

Hackers, or 'deckers' to use the lingo, won't dive into the full virtual reality of the Matrix during missions, but will they add their unique technical perspective to the situation, an idea very important to Shadowrun. "I wanted to get across that we do all view the world through the prisms of our own experiences and our own skills," Weisman explained. Taken to the extreme, "To a carpenter, the world is just a series of things to figure out how to solve with a hammer."​

You can find the full interview here. Enjoy!

Repressed Homosexual
The premise of Shadowrun is so dumb, it always boggles my mind to see the nonsensical mean they've found to introduce magic to a futuristic world. And yet while it is a walking oxymoron and an obvious mix of D&D and Gibson novels, in spite of the goofiness and dumb stuff put in to look cool, it works on some level, partly maybe because of what he has said in his article about technology versus the destructive power of nature.

I wonder how they'll manage the compromise, how much like a Facebook game it will look. I was talking to an Internet acquaintance about my concerns over a possibly cartoonish art style, and he emailed them about it. He sent me their reply a few weeks ago:

Our games are developed one at a time and the art style we use is the "right" one for the gameplay, the budget, and the time we have. Check out Strikefleet Omega on http://harebrained-schemes.com to see a completely different art style for one of our games.

So this is a picture of said title

http://s3.amazonaws.com/www.harebrained-schemes.com/strikefleet/ss02.jpg

I don't know, there is no character design, but it feels too chromy, sleek-looking to my liking. So my outlook is that it will disappoint many people here, but it will be far less offensive than most games with Facebook/Iphone cartoon graphics.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The premise of Shadowrun is so dumb, it always boggles my mind to see the nonsensical mean they've found to introduce magic to a futuristic world.

It's not nonsensical if you do not even try to explain anything. I remember the reasoning for the return of magic being literally "it just came back, ok?".
Disclaimer: I have never played nor read Earthdawn.

Morkar Left

Damn, the game won't be sandbox. I hope he just means it will not be as sandboxy as skyrim. Either way I don't expect too much of the exploration factor, I just hope it's not just a mission screen and then you are in the mission. Wouldn't really like that.

Cyberspace is out, too. Ok, I can live with that and my hopes weren't high about this. I was surprised it was in the genesis version. But only having a simple skill check would be a bit too simple for my taste considering the importance of it in shadowrun.

The premise of Shadowrun is so dumb, it always boggles my mind to see the nonsensical mean they've found to introduce magic to a futuristic world.

Complaining about magic in shadowrun is like complaining about magic in fantasy.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
It's true that Shadowrun's premise sounds dumb, but it's implementation was cleverly done. I still remember one book about orcs, and how their low intelligence, short lifespan and the prejudice they faced made this minority's life a living hell.
Besides, cyberpunk has always been a strange science-fiction subgenre : in its pessimism we can find a temptation to devolve into archaism that is close enough to fantasy's underlying logic of returning to the past. That's why, after all, cyberpunk gave birth to steampunk.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Damn, the game won't be sandbox. I hope he just means it will not be as sandboxy as skyrim. Either way I don't expect too much of the exploration factor, I just hope it's not just a mission screen and then you are in the mission. Wouldn't really like that.

Yeah that's a big concern. Although from watching videos of Shadowrun the structure of the game seemed ok, there was just no city map or something.

nihil

Augur

I'm pretty sure it won't be like that. He mentioned in one of the podcasts linked from the KS page that you'll explore the game world in real time similarly to SNES Shadowrun, and that combat brings you into turn-based mode. Of course there might still be a mission screen and the world is disconnected with every location tied to a mission, but he hasn't hinted at anything like that. Also, because he said they're planning on something like the conversation/knowledge system from the SNES game, I'm thinking you'll be able to revisit old locations with new knowledge, etc.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Yet he talks about "missions" taking place in 2 different "cities", a special, exclusive "mission" for backers, all the time and is never specific what it means. Let's hope it's not as retarded as it could theoretically be.

nihil

Augur
Yeah, I agree it's ambiguous.

The graphics of that Strikefleet game worries me more, though. It really does look like casual crap.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Yet he talks about "missions" taking place in 2 different "cities",

The first city is probably Seattle, since that's the "default" setting in all the iterations of the shadowrun rulebook (and thus the one that's most fleshed out). I'm guessing the second city basically means they'll be doing an alternate tileset with a slightly different feel. Maybe hong kong, london, one of the elven nations (Tir Taingire, Tir na nOg) or (dare we hope) Copenhagen?*

*The 3rd edition sourcebook Shadows of Europe had a really cool piece on Copenhagen. After Jutlan and Fyn got flooded by toxic waste, the population of the capital exploded with refugees, and there's a huge floating city of boats clogging the harbor. The Christania Free Trade Zone was also a pretty neat concept.

a special, exclusive "mission" for backers, all the time and is never specific what it means. Let's hope it's not as retarded as it could theoretically be.

Since we're getting a map editor, I'mguessing the "missions" will be something a la Neverwinter Nights modules. If missions were level scaled (lulz) or just restricted according to the abount of resources/karma a runner has accrued it could work quite well.

Damn, just thinking of an overworld seattle map with slot-in standalone runs just game me a bit of a nerd-on.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The most likely candidates (looking at which cities have the most published material in P&P) are: Denver, Tir Taingire, Hong Kong, London or.... Chicago* :smug:

*Hoping it'll be post-nuke if this is it

Man, I hope they won't disappoint with shit cartoony graphics and stupid iPhone simplifications for the game, because that would be pretty sad. Original SNES and Genesis Shadowruns had a very cool graphics style, not a retarded shitty one like you demonstrated in that Strikefleet Omega, and I certainly hope they know what they are doing. It could be an awesome game if they make it primarily for the PC in the style of retro SNES and SEGA games only improved gameplay possibilities and graphics, combat is already improved, as it is turn based. :smug:

I don't know man, this new interview doesn't sound too promising, he seems to care mostly to attract new audience, also not sandbox, wasn't a Genesis version sandboxy?? :(

What worries me the most is his avoidance of disclosing all info how the game will play, or look like, he just gives subtle hints, and that is financially smart because he will get more donations, but it could be a bit disappointment for someone like me who gives his hard earned money for a hope of a resurrection of a great game, and then gets "new gen" iPhone shit game... :rpgcodex:

nihil

Augur
The Genesis game is sandboxy, but as far as I understand also filled with mostly randomized cookie cutter content.

The SNES game is linear and fairly directed in nature, but it still allows (and gives reason) for exploration and doing some things out of sequence. It's almost like an old school adventure game hybrid. Figuring out specific solutions to situations you're in, using the correct item on something to progress, etc. Kinda noir. I personally like that approach.

The Genesis game is sandboxy, but as far as I understand also filled with mostly randomized cookie cutter content.

The SNES game is linear and fairly directed in nature, but it still allows (and gives reason) for exploration and doing some things out of sequence. It's almost like an old school adventure game hybrid. Figuring out specific solutions to situations you're in, using the correct item on something to progress, etc. Kinda noir. I personally like that approach.

Well hope you are right, because this interview doesn't fill me with hope, if he aims to please today's average gamers. Also, why no cyberspace? Teh too complicated for next-gen crowd?? Man, it's few days left, and I still have some doubts, should I pledge, when I'm not sure at all how the game will look like anymore, and they are not trying too hard to answer relevant questions, nothing about answering Codex interview etc. I don't think any project has provided so little info and collected so much money. Shady business. :smug: At least with Wasteland 2 I know I gave my money for a try at resurrection of an old school game genre I liked even if it turns to be shit. With this, I don't know, since he doesn't promise anything. And there might be some good kickstarters in the future like Dead State, or Xenonauts, or Obsidian, or something, and I might not have enough money to give to them, and they certainly provide more info then this... And on the other hand this could be a great game, it certainly has potential to be, if they don't go "next gen" with this, and stay true to retro gamers and shadowrun fans.

Morkar Left

To be honest if it wasn't for Weisman I wouldn't have pledged at all. I just don't think that he wants to fuck up his own "franchise".

To be honest if it wasn't for Weisman I wouldn't have pledged at all. I just don't think that he wants to fuck up his own "franchise".

Fuck up? Maybe he thinks he will fuck it up if he doesn't make it "accessible to modern audience" and the game doesn't sell as well as it could... Bethesda doesn't want to fuck up their franchise, neither does Bioware, and look at the turds they produce and sell in millions of copies - thus their franchise isn't fucked up - it's very successful. And I certainly don't want to fund a game like that.

Also, it's very suspicious that they didn't respond at all to our prestigious Codexian interview... :obviously: At least something FFS. I really want to believe, as Wasteland 2 is not enough and I want more "old school type" games, but I'm very fearful of this one due to lack of info, and honest facts about the game. Also - iPad. :decline:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
If you are thinking this Shadowrun is going to be a DEEP hard core stats/skills cRPG game (like Wasteland 2) you are completely deluding yourself. I would love to be proven wrong however. But it seems (my best guess) they are going more towards how the SNES/Genesis games were. Which is still fine for me.

And they are still in crunch time for their current game and have gotten hordes of requests for interviews, ours should come soon. I'm hoping they wont be vague answers but that's probably what we will get at this point.

nihil

Augur
how the SNES/Genesis games were

That looks so wrong. Casually bundling those two games as if they were in the same league. ;)

But yeah, I see Shadowrun Returns as something entirely different than Wasteland 2. I think it will be great fun, if they can deliver on their plans.

If you are thinking this Shadowrun is going to be a DEEP hard core stats/skills cRPG game (like Wasteland 2) you are completely deluding yourself. I would love to be proven wrong however. But it seems (my best guess) they are going more towards how the SNES/Genesis games were. Which is still fine for me.

And they are still in crunch time for their current game and have gotten hordes of requests for interviews, ours should come soon. I'm hoping they wont be vague answers but that's probably what we will get at this point.

There are 3 days left, so it better fucking come before the kickstarter ends. :smug:

Well since I have only watched Codex LP of the Sega Genesis, and a bit of LP of a SNES version, care to elaborate what kind of game you think it will be? Is it a "rpg lite" like Diablo, only with turnbased combat and in shadowrun setting? Do you have conversations and quests to do, is it action adventure? What? What is the main difference between SEGA and SNES versions?

And what does it mean it will be entirely different from Wasteland 2? Please explain more thoroughly, in what ways... I really need this info, because I'm short on cash, and don't want to donate to something that I wouldn't like...

Please Jaesun and nihil be a real Codex bros, and help me clear my dilemma, by explaining at least these things... I know you don't know what the game will look like but at least explain your visions and anticipations... :love:

So, to end my rant, what will be the differences between this and Wasteland 2? Except the most obvious ones, of course...

Morkar Left

Fuck up? Maybe he thinks he will fuck it up if he doesn't make it "accessible to modern audience" and the game doesn't sell as well as it could... Bethesda doesn't want to fuck up their franchise, neither does Bioware, and look at the turds they produce and sell in millions of copies - thus their franchise isn't fucked up - it's very successful. And I certainly don't want to fund a game like that.

You can't really compare both. Bethesda is a company who owns a "franchise" they once created. But I don't think there are many developers of the original TES left. At least not the ones who have anything important to say nowadays.
Weisman on the other hand created Shadowrun and is still in charge over it for the project at least. Plus it has its roots from a p&p game which invokes a certain "style" the game should pay attention to. I think Weisman wants to nail that p&p style of the game and not taking "the experience to the next level!".
I will not say that there isn't a possibility that he will make a dumped down shitty Shadowrun game on purpose but I doubt it. He would damage his franchise this way. Oldschoolers would be pissed off and new people alone wouldn't care enough to revoke the shadowrun universe when it's just a simple game.

You can't really compare both. Bethesda is a company who owns a "franchise" they once created. But I don't think there are many developers of the original TES left. At least not the ones who have anything important to say nowadays.
Weisman on the other hand created Shadowrun and is still in charge over it for the project at least. Plus it has its roots from a p&p game which invokes a certain "style" the game should pay attention to. I think Weisman wants to nail that p&p style of the game and not taking "the experience to the next level!".
I will not say that there isn't a possibility that he will make a dumped down shitty Shadowrun game on purpose but I doubt it. He would damage his franchise this way. Oldschoolers would be pissed off and new people alone wouldn't care enough to revoke the shadowrun universe when it's just a simple game.

Thx, bro, for a bit of reassurance, I know, every kickstarter is a risk, but I want to minimize that risk. Can you try to answer some of the thing from my post above yours, like for someone who has only watched LP of Sega genesis Shadowrun and a bit of SNES here on the codex, how will it differ from Wasteland 2 as an turnbased rpg, except graphics and setting. Because seems like Shadowrun fans like Jaesun and nihil, and you seem to grasp what to expect from a game, and like it, because they know it will be different from W2, and I want to know about that...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom