Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Titan Quest announced

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Iron Lore; Titan Quest

<A href="http://thq.com/game.asp?1148|49246">Titan Quest</a>, <A href="http://www.ironlore.com/">Iron Lore</a>'s first CRPG title, is now officially anounced.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Brian Sullivan's New Action RPG Slated to Bring Mythical Ancient Worlds to Life in 2006
<br>
<br>
CALABASAS HILLS, Calif., May 9 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- THQ Inc. (Nasdaq: THQI - News) today announced Titan Quest for Windows PC. An all-new action role-playing game (RPG) set in the ancient mythical worlds of Greece and Egypt, Titan Quest is developed by Iron Lore Entertainment, a new studio led by Age of Empires co-creator Brian Sullivan. Titan Quest is scheduled to release in 2006 and will be unveiled at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3).
<br>
<br>
"The extremely talented team at Iron Lore is focused on delivering the same level of innovation and creativity gamers have come to expect from Brian Sullivan," said Philip Holt, senior vice president of product development, THQ. "We look forward to sharing their vision for the ultimate in addictive, fast-action RPG gaming at E3 next week."
<br>
<br>
"Our primary goal for Titan Quest is to create an experience that blends the best of action, role-playing and adventure genres," said Brian Sullivan, co-founder, president and lead designer, Iron Lore Entertainment. "The lush ancient worlds of Greece and Egypt provide an extraordinary backdrop with beautiful locations, fascinating mythical creatures and age-old mysteries. We are extremely proud that Titan Quest will mark Iron Lore's first release."
<br>
<br>
In Titan Quest, players will take an epic journey through such fabled locations as the Parthenon, the maze of Knossos, the Great Pyramids and the Hanging Gardens of Babylon. With an arsenal of more than a thousand pieces of unique and legendary equipment, players will have to overcome terrifying monsters and mythical beasts in their quest to save humankind from the Titans. Players can develop their character through a flexible class system and highly customizable skills. Multi-player mode allows players to share their journey through the rich, story-driven campaign.</blockquote>
<br>
Okay, I can see Egypt in there because ancient Egypt is fairly neat, but tossing in Greek stuff? Then again, I guess they'd have to come up with a name without <i>Titan</i> in the title for that.

EvoG

Erudite
Sphinx Quest REALLY sounds like an SSI or Epyx game title....I like that RP...get a domain right quick!!!

almondblight

Arcane
Babylon? Are they just going everywhere in mesopotamia then? Or are they lumping it in with Egyptian and Greek culture?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I don't know why they don't just stick to something like Egypt and flesh it out really well. It seems kind of silly to make a game like this that goes all over the ancient empires. That's basically what I was trying to say in the commentary. Why not do one thing well instead of having the SUPER ANCIENT CULTURE EPISODIC ADVENTURE thing?

Think about Prince of Qin. The whole game is set in ancient China. Once you get drawn in to the setting, you're good to go because it's so well done. You get a feel for everything. They couldn't have done it nearly as well if Chapter 1 were in China, Chapter 2 in Tibet, Chapter 3 in Japan, and so on.

bryce777

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
I don't know why they don't just stick to something like Egypt and flesh it out really well. It seems kind of silly to make a game like this that goes all over the ancient empires. That's basically what I was trying to say in the commentary. Why not do one thing well instead of having the SUPER ANCIENT CULTURE EPISODIC ADVENTURE thing?

Think about Prince of Qin. The whole game is set in ancient China. Once you get drawn in to the setting, you're good to go because it's so well done. You get a feel for everything. They couldn't have done it nearly as well if Chapter 1 were in China, Chapter 2 in Tibet, Chapter 3 in Japan, and so on.

I'll especially get a kick out of it if they have like unconstructed pyramids, and then say stuff like "Boy that'll sure be big if they build it but they couldn't possibly do that much work!"

I see this as another lionheart in the making....

Shevek

Arcane
Well, I would say that a big problem with how alot of people visualize the ancient world (and pretty much the past in general) is that they visualize it as a set of discrete empires. There is nothing wrong with panning out a bit and showing a wider Medit. region. In some ways, understanding various times and peoples benefits from wider comparative approaches that embrace regions rather than stick to political boundries.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom