Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Oblivion to be released in winter 2005

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

According to this <a href=http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050516/lam142.html>press-release</a>, <a href=http://www.elderscrolls.com/home/home.htm>Oblivion</a> is <b>slated to ship for PC and Xbox 360 in winter 2005</b>. Finally, something new to bitch about.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The team at Bethesda has pushed the RPG genre forward exponentially with Oblivion and it makes for a stunning example of what the next generation Xbox is capable of</blockquote>
<br>
Another day - another claim that someone pushed the genre forward. Give me a fucking break!
<br>
<br>

Spazmo

Erudite
Forwards - and off a cliff. That said, we're lucky there haven't been many attempts at Morrowind clones.

crpgnut

Augur
Winter 2005! I must say that narrows the date down quite a bit. Winter starts on Dec. 21st and 2005 ends on Dec 31st so we have a 10-day period in which to expect Oblivion :)

space captain

Liturgist
U. S. of Fuckin' A. ...and dont forget it or we'l
Im not NEARLY as pessimistic about this as many people here, it seems.. after all I still remember playing Daggerfall - which had its problems but also showed a glimpse of something very great

However, i do doubt that the game could be delivered in any kind of stable, finished state by Q4 2005 - this feels more like some kind of hyped up push to take advantage of the Next Gen console phenom

Whipporowill

Erudite
Considering they've been working on the game since they finished Tribunal (if I remember correctly), that shouldn't be all that impossible a release date, should it? That's something like 3+ years for a huuuuge team.

Rulion

Liturgist
They're going to release it /that/ soon? I was honestly expecting 2006 or 2007.

Someone hold me o.o

Also, hurry up and release the minimum specs, Bethesda! I need to start upgrading my PC. I have a feeling my 2.8, 9800 Pro is going to be right on the edge of miminum.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Winter 2005 implies Christmas frenzy, so I don't think it would be delayed to 2006 unless something is really fucked, DL-style

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Nope. Whip is right. VD is wrong. Winter 2005 can mean early 2006. That said, chances are they'd want to catch the Christmas rush so it could mean either.

Whipporowill

Erudite
That said, it's possible that they'll do a KOTOR II and let one of the releases slip to '06 - possibly the PC one, in that case. However unlikely the release date may seem, it's even less likely that they'll be able to release TES IV for multiple platforms at that time.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Too bad that the dialogue system will still be a search engine.
Anyway, I'm still looking forward to the game and if it's out this year it may even run on my 9600Pro.

corvax

Augur
considering the development started mid 2002 - 42 months of development overall - the game should rather stable. knowing bethesda there will be an odd thing here and there but nothing game-breaking. nevertheless, i might even get one of those console thingies to play this game

geminito

Liturgist
EH?

Does everyone at RPG Codex have amnesia? Bethesda said Winter 2005 when Obliviion was first revealed. People asked "Does that mean January 2005??". And here we are now asking "Does that mean January 2006??"

This isn't new information. It's old. Really really old. Like RPG Codex itself.

:twisted:

Greatatlantic

Erudite
The thing with release dates, though, is they don't stay current as time goes on. That, and I don't think I ever heard a Bethsoft rep confirm they were going for Winter of 05, that was just speculation and rumor on the part of reporters.

So, even if the release date is old news, its new news that the release window hasn't changed. I don't think they'll wait to Feburary, though. Christmas is big money.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Elwro said:
Too bad that the dialogue system will still be a search engine.
Anyway, I'm still looking forward to the game and if it's out this year it may even run on my 9600Pro.

Are you kidding me? Surely people here at the Codex can't be so asinine as to deliberately 'forget' the screenshot of Oblivion's dialogue in which it was displayed that the dialogue was to be handled similarly to Fallout, Baldur's Gate and other RPGs rather than utilize the topic index-system of Morrowind.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Sol Invictus said:
Are you kidding me? Surely people here at the Codex can't be so asinine as to deliberately 'forget' the screenshot of Oblivion's dialogue in which it was displayed that the dialogue was to be handled similarly to Fallout, Baldur's Gate and other RPGs rather than utilize the topic index-system of Morrowind.
OK, sorry. I didn't see any dialogue screenshots and in fact MSFD did say "You have a list of topics to ask about and/or responses to what the NPCs say to you, and you can also attempt to modify their disposition towards you at any time". The interesting part is the "and/or responses". First, I have to admit that I forgot about that. But Second, "or" suggests that PC responses won't appear in all conversations. MW had PC-spoken lines in 1% of the dialogues. We are (at least by my knowledge) in no position to suppose that in Oblivion the percentage will be significantly higher. If the game had dialogue trees they would brag about it left and right because that would be a truly important improvement.
The topic list and disposition modifying was already there in MW. And I don't see what was so wrong with hypertext to justify removing it (apart from translation problems), while retaining the topic list.

edit: changed "MFSD" to "MSFD" :D

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
YES, SOMETHING NEW TO BITCH AND MOAN ABOUT!

THE SAND IN MY SNATCH WAS GETTING A LITTLE THIN! THANK JESUS FOR MORE!

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
NeutralMilkHotel said:
YES, SOMETHING NEW TO BITCH AND MOAN ABOUT!
Are you the token "I hate this site but I hang out here because they need me god damnit" guy or something? Because I honestly don't see why you feel the need to add this to just about every thread otherwise...

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
Are you the token "I hate this site but I hang out here because they need me god damnit" guy or something? Because I honestly don't see why you feel the need to add this to just about every thread otherwise...

I love this site. And I love to make fun of over-dramatized whining. And honestly, if you're going to throw the "Because I honestly don't see why you feel the need to add this to just about every thread otherwise..." then talk to someone like Volourn first please. thx. LOL. ROOFLES. :roll: :shock: Especially when this what, the second thread in which I've made fun of this... :roll:

It will be released for Xbox360 and PC simultaneously right?

Looks like it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom