Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview GameCloud talks to BioWare doctors

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: BioWare

GameCloud--who are really milking this E3 deal hard--<a href=http://www.gamecloud.com/article.php?article_id=27>spoke</a> with the BioWare Doctors about the company's plans and stuff.<blockquote>Gamecloud - What can you tell us about the current status of Dragon Age at this point?
<br>
<br>
Dr. Greg Zeschuk - Dragon Age is coming along really well! It’s an extremely ambitious project, but as a result it will really invigorate the world of the PC RPG. The world we have developed for the game is rich in history, and although it will feel familiar to fans of the genre, we’ve created a unique high-fantasy world with gameplay suited perfectly to a high fantasy PC RPG, the spiritual successor to past BioWare games like Baldur’s Gate and Neverwinter Nights.</blockquote>Basically, there's zero new information here, so let's all just enjoy some <a href=http://www.gamecloud.com/article.php?article_id=85>booth babes</a>.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</A>

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
If you didn't consider it wortwhhile enws than why the heck did you post it? Beh. Make sense, at least.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
Dragon Age is coming along really well! It’s an extremely ambitious project, but as a result it will really invigorate the world of the PC RPG.
Does some fuckwit have to say this EVERY time he develops an RPG? And coming from someone at Bioware its even more fucking hilarious. WE'RE GOING INVIGORATE THE RPG GENRE BY CREATING YET ANOTHER HIGH FANTASY UNIVERSE AND WATERING DOWN THE RPG ELEMENTS SO MUCH THE GAME IS MORE LIKE AN ADVENTURE GAME.

Fuckers should just call it King's Quest 2006...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Why you whining? It's amrketing hype. Every single company in the history of companies do that.

It sure beats:

"This game is good; but not great. It's worthy of a bargain purchase; but don't buy new."

Geez.. What a dumbass you are!

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
Volourn said:
Why you whining? It's amrketing hype.
Seems that's all they produce at Bioware.
Every single company in the history of companies do that.
Yeah but usually they have some sort of product to go with it.
It sure beats:

"This game is good; but not great. It's worthy of a bargain purchase; but don't buy new."
How about something like ... "we've spent time looking at everyone's favorite RPGs to try and find out what elements of the genre really work. For this project what we're going to do is really refine the genre and make sure every element that makes an RPG is in there and works well."
Geez.. What a dumbass you are!
Shut the fuck up, fanboy.

Drakron

Arcane
Come on ... we all know by now that Volourn was kidnapped and experimented on by the doctors.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"just like jade empire"

JE > KOTOR

"Seems that's all they produce at Bioware."

That would be Troika.

"This is the next FO." "This is the next FO." "This si the next FO."

R00fles!

"Yeah but usually they have some sort of product to go with it."

Seems to me BIO has released more quality products than the former hype machine known as Troika.

"How about something like ... "we've spent time looking at everyone's favorite RPGs to try and find out what elements of the genre really work. For this project what we're going to do is really refine the genre and make sure every element that makes an RPG is in there and works well.""

Translation: We do everything that other RPGs do; but we do it better!

Result: Hype.

Advice: Try again, fool.

"Shut the fuck up, fanboy."

1. I didn't say a word.

2. I don't take orders from the internet geeks.

3. I'd rather be a fanboy to a successful dev company that makes qualkity games, and don't crash out after just three games.

4. If a fanboy is some who enjoy's a company's games while being about to make criticisms of them with reasonable reasons then sure I'm a fanboy.

Enjoy. :lol:

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Volourn said:
Why you whining? It's amrketing hype. Every single company in the history of companies do that.

Attempting to hype a game is something every company does. If they are honest, they'll talk about and focus on the feature they do have, as oppose to the things they don't have. However, it is possible for the highly trained and cynical eye to see past the hype. For example,

Ground-Breaking means if it falls on the ground it will break.
Innovative means no matter how many Vatives you explore, you'll never find this game.
Exciting means this game quotes the avatar formerly known as Rex.
New Direction means a develop did a 360* turn before turning on his computer.
Story Driven means the game will have the story, since the industry only knows one.

I think you get the idea.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
Volourn said:
JE > KOTOR

That would be Troika.
BZZZT THE CORRECT ANSWER IS BLIZZARD! Thanks for playing, try again next week.
Seems to me BIO has released more quality products than the former hype machine known as Troika.
What hype machine did Troika ever have? They did a couple of dev diaries? Interviews? Did they ever claim to be revolutionizing the world of gaming or creating an IP OF STAGGERING GENIUS!
Translation: We do everything that other RPGs do; but we do it better!

Result: Hype.

Advice: Try again, fool.
Try keeping up in the thread, I was just offering up a different variation of hype that isn't as bombastic and generic as "WE'RE GOING TO INVIGORATE THE GENRE SINGLEHANDEDLY!!! WOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
1. I didn't say a word.
HARRRRRRRRRRRRR
2. I don't take orders from the internet geeks.
Only from the Drive Thru microphone then? Would it help if I asked you for an order of fries with that SHUT THE FUCK UP?
3. I'd rather be a fanboy to a successful dev company that makes qualkity games, and don't crash out after just three games.
Quality adventure games, sure. If longevity in the business is your standard why don't you just go get yourself an EA t-shirt?
4. If a fanboy is some who enjoy's a company's games while being about to make criticisms of them with reasonable reasons then sure I'm a fanboy.
... just chew on that sentence a second...

I did. You did too I see. HA GOOD FUN! :lol:

protobob

Liturgist
I think Bioware needs to worry about reinvigorating their style, which is so old and tired my brain bubbles thinking about it, before they get around to reinvigorating anything else.

Ellester

Liturgist
Well I can believe that bioware can invigorate the rpg scene with DA, as they have been putting together some solid games recently that sell shitloads of copies. But the Bio formula is tired and true; we already know what type of story and gameplay we will get on any Bio game. So, I don’t see them offering anything groundbreaking. I also find this a problem even with Obsidian or the old Black Isle games, or any established developer. I think a new developer is the one who will revolutionize the rpg genre, not an established developer who has creates games off past successes without radically diverting from that successful formula. Bio might make a ton of sales and make a solid game, but I think some new blood is what’s needed to revolutionize the rpg genre.

But considering the rpgs that are being released, I’ll just take a good one, it doesn’t have to be revolutionary or invigorate the rpg genre. Just give me something decent to play, as everything has mostly sucked as of late.

Drakron

Arcane
I think companies try too hard to please instead of focus in a game that plays.

The "revolution" will come when a developer simply does not give a damn about what the "players" (read: anoying crybabies that want real time combat, able to kill anything in the game and similar crap) want and makes a game as they feel it sould be.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Volourn said:
If you didn't consider it wortwhhile enws than why the heck did you post it? Beh. Make sense, at least.
What? I thought that the sole purpose of this newspost was to give us the booth babes link, I didn't even read it. :wink:

protobob

Liturgist
Somebody needs base a game on the classic confrontation:

cavemen vs. astronauts

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Who cares if this game 'innovates' or not? Oh noes, Dragon Age introduces nothing new to the world of RPGs, it's gotta suck! Guess what, Baldur's Gate, Diablo and Fallout are really old and they're still really fun, and that's the element I'm looking for in Dragon Age - fun.

As for the hype, it's marketing hype. EVERYONE is doing it. Singling Bioware out for hyping their product is asinine.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"who fuckin cares about KOTOR?? thats a peice of shit too

JE + KOTOR = TOTAL SHIT"

Fine then.

JE > KOTOR + KOTOR2 + BG + F0+ PST + D + DD + G + ES.

Did I miss anything yet?

"Ground-Breaking means if it falls on the ground it will break.
Innovative means no matter how many Vatives you explore, you'll never find this game.
Exciting means this game quotes the avatar formerly known as Rex.
New Direction means a develop did a 360* turn before turning on his computer.
Story Driven means the game will have the story, since the industry only knows one."

:lol:

"What hype machine did Troika ever have? They did a couple of dev diaries? Interviews? Did they ever claim to be revolutionizing the world of gaming or creating an IP OF STAGGERING GENIUS!"

Youa re stupid. Many interviews, many diarieis, many magaazine articles, and the liost goes on. Guess what? the same as BIo except a couple of commericals for their x-box games only. And, Troika claims this stuff all the time. "tHE NEXT fo." The next FO." "The next FO." "This game is OUR FO." " This game si the shitzznet." "This game will destory all FPS + RPGs combined." BLAH BLAH BLAH.

"Only from the Drive Thru microphone then?"

Go to the drive thru all youw ant; you won't find me there. I do find it hilarious that you have to try to attack a job I don't have in your foolish attemtp to outflame me. You lose.

"If longevity in the business is your standard why don't you just go get yourself an EA t-shirt?"

EA is aweosme! If it's in the game, it's E A S P O R T S ! ! !

"Quality adventure games, sure."

If the 'Codex claims that BIo develops RPGs; who am I to argue? R00fles!

"just chew on that sentence a second..."

Ha. Ya got me there. of course other than some mistakes the sentence is pretty clear. Afterall, all one has to do is read my 'reviews' of BIo games to see a bunch of criticism from me about them. Nice try; though.

"I did. You did too I see. HA GOOD FUN!"

of course. Great fun, indeed! :D

"which is so old and tired"

Hype aside, 'originality' and 'revolutionary' si overrated. i dont'c are if Bio cotninues to make the same type of game for the enxt 20 years. As longas I enjoy them, and have as much as i have thus far; I'm all for it. Hell, if someone make a bunch of FO 'clones' that had the same quality; I'd be all for that too.

NEW does NOT equal GOOD.

Only idiots think that.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
NEW does NOT equal GOOD.

Only idiots think that.
Watch, as everyone who agreed with you that "new does not equal good" a while ago decides to disagree with you in a couple of minutes/hours because we're talking about BioWare.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"THAT'S IT! YOU CROSSED THE LINE, MOTHERFUCKER!"

Your mother told me the same thing last night...

"Watch, as everyone who agreed with you that "new does not equal good" a while ago decides to disagree with you in a couple of minutes/hours because we're talking about BioWare."

LOL :D

Ellester

Liturgist
Well, if you guys noted at the end of my rant I said:

“I’ll just take a good one, it doesn’t have to be revolutionary or invigorate the rpg genre. Just give me something decent to play”

So basically you guys are stating what I already stated, I’ll take it if it’s good. And no I’m not anti-Bioware, I’ve enjoyed Bio games even though I thought the NWN OC was crap. But what they’ve put out since then has allowed me to forgive Bio for the OC blunder. And I loved the BG games.

Anyway, why shouldn’t I expect more out of a crpg? Why shouldn’t any one? Just because it’s fun, do I want to play the same games every single year, where I’m the chosen one? No, I want to be surprised, I want to feel like I’m playing a crpg that isn’t like everything else that has come before it. Is it possible? Sure, and why wouldn’t I want to find the game that does that? Jacking off is fun, but why settle for that? I want to find that 5’ tall Asian woman with DD breasts. I see no reason to shoot for the stars.

And for a person who plays more older games than new, I really could care less if new is better or not better. I think your arguing with the wrong person with that argument. Also the a lot of people think Dragon Age will rock because it’s new and Bio is using their own system instead of d&d. Me, I’ll wait and see how character generation is. How fun the combat is. Is the NPC’s and story good? Just because DA is new and a move away from d&d doesn’t mean the game will be good. I expect Bio to do a good job, but I will wait to see before I make my judgments. It could suck or kick ass, we don’t know yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom