Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information CD Projekt's New Title Is A Cyberpunk 2020 RPG

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: CD Projekt; Cyberpunk 2077

CD Projekt's new ARPG - you know, the one that got teased yesterday - is to be based on R. Talsorian Games' pen-and-paper roleplaying game Cyberpunk 2020, according to Gamasutra:

This new title, which is billed as a "triple-A RPG," is the first new IP that CD Projekt has tackled since the company found success with its Witcher franchise in 2007. The developer has formed a new group made up of veterans from the Witcher team to work on it.

At CD Projekt's Summer Conference today, R. Talsorian Games chairman and Cyberpunk creator Mike Pondsmith claimed that his franchise has more than 5 million players around the world across its various pen-and-paper RPGs and collectible card games.

Like the similar Shadowrun series, Cyberpunk debuted in the late 1980s and featured many staples from the cyberpunk genre established by authors like William Gibson and Bruce Sterling, such as hackers, cybernetic implants, and megacorporations.

CD Projekt is collaborating with Pondsmith on the title, and says it intends to create a whole franchise of games based on Cyberpunk, just as it did with The Witcher book series created by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski. The company hasn't yet discussed planned platforms or release timing.

Though Cyberpunk's near-futuristic setting is very different from The Witcher's, CD Projekt says its new game will feature many hallmarks from that series, such as morally ambiguous choices, non-linear progression, and a complex story designed for mature audiences...​

...as well as crappy gameplay. Feel free to quote me on that.

For more info about the original P&P game, you can consult that infinite source of wisdom, Wikipedia.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
CD Projekt is collaborating with Pondsmith on the title...
Why isn't this standard practice in the games industries? Normally it's some large publisher sticking it's cock up a innocent franchise ass, then raping it beyond recognition.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
xmo6rm.jpg

Please be awesome, please listen to Pondsmith, please no QTE, please use CP2020 character sheets and sourcebooks as your bible.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
As Josh Sawyer tweeted, "FNFF or get out". I really doubt something like that can be implemented in an AAA title, though, especially by someone as incompetent at basic gameplay as CD Projekt.

Morkar Left

Yay for Cyberpunk 2020 setting. But i don't expect much from the game and even less from it as a rpg. Still, shooting mechanics should be easier to handle as melee combat for them. Maybe when i'm in the mood for a shooter I could go for this one. At least I know it will have no drm and therefore is worth to look at it when it's released.

bonescraper

And we'll get Cyberpunk Effect in the end anyways.

Seriously, i want to believe, but i doubt they'll deliver. After all, 2witcher is a hardcore RPG in their own words.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I have never played the particular pnp but I am always interested in Cyberpunk setting so I am in
:neveraskedforthis:

Menckenstein

As Josh Sawyer tweeted, "FNFF or get out". I really doubt something like that can be implemented in an AAA title, though, especially by someone as incompetent at basic gameplay as CD Projekt.

Says someone who sings the praises of Obsidian Consulting Services :lol:

Menckenstein

Friday Night Fire Fight, CP2020 combat system. Basically ARMA realism vs movie magic in other RPGs with gun play.

Considering CDP have added those more difficult modes into TW2 I wouldn't be surprised to see this in their CP2020 game.

From wiki:

The combat system, called "Friday Night Firefight", emphasizes lethality. Several pages in the rules are devoted to discussing real combat vs. the illusions often seen on TV. Attempts are made to keep the combat as realistic as possible in a game setting. No matter who the character is, a single bullet can result in a lethal wound. This encourages a more tactically-oriented and sneaky game play, which is in accordance to the rough-and-gritty ethos of the Cyberpunk genre. Also, the amount of damage a character can sustain does not increase as the character develops. The only way a character can become more damage resistant is to either become better at not being hit, physically augment their body with muscle (trained or implanted) or cybernetics, or wear armor.

DominikD

Novice
Please be awesome, please listen to Pondsmith, please no QTE, please use CP2020 character sheets and sourcebooks as your bible.

I hope not. There are plenty of balance issues in CP2020 even today, alter zillion revisions.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
SO basically, CDProject get to do a PnP game, but will turn it into some shitty action game with little or no cRPG elements? ugh.

I honestly wish some Kickstarter team had this licences and would make a proper cRPG with this setting. Hell if this was obsidians KS project I would throw all my money at it.

Anyways, I'll just sit here and wait to hear all the shitty AWESOME action elements this game will have....

Menckenstein

I hope not. There are plenty of balance issues in CP2020 even today, alter zillion revisions.
I guess they should just wing it then rather than having a main reference source, that always works so well for video game adaptations :lol:

Menckenstein

SO basically, CDProject get to do a PnP game, but will turn it into some shitty action game with little or no cRPG elements? ugh.

I honestly wish some Kickstarter team had this licences and would make a proper cRPG with this setting. Hell if this was obsidians KS project I would throw all my money at it.

Anyways, I'll just sit here and wait to hear all the shitty AWESOME action elements this game will have....
Not that you've ever played CP2020 but it's actually pretty "action" heavy as far as combat goes. Fucking poison dart guns in your eyeballs and shit... but please, bitch about another game without any knowledge beyond title and developer like you always do, gotta keep to that shtick. :roll:

I dig the setting, but they are AAA developers, predicting it will be popamole. Still I'll try to follow the game development, maybe it will pleasantly surprise me...

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
he only way a character can become more damage resistant is to either become better at not being hit

to reflect this gritty all or nothing realism CDP will be implementing a visual feedback system that conveys hitpoints as the amount of attacks you will be able to dodge before your character slips up and takes a single fatal wound when 0 hp is reached

this way you will be able to gain hitpoints and yet remain within the dynamic hardboiled spirit of cyberpunk 2020's setting

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom