Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview RPG Codex Interview: DoubleBear on Dead State

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tags: Annie VanderMeer Mitsoda; Brian Mitsoda; Dead State; DoubleBear Productions; Indie; Kickstarter; Oscar Velzi

The Codex has interviewed the developers of Dead State, the zombie-RPG by independent developer DoubleBear Productions, which has just recently launched its Kickstarter campaign.

The interview includes questions about the game's setting, gameplay, and RPG mechanics, as well as definite proof that Brian Mitsoda is Vault Dweller!

6. Now, Dead State is going to be an RPG, which is a funny genre in that it is hard to get two people to agree on a definition of it. Why did you choose to make a role-playing game? What makes it exciting for you to work on one, and what characteristics of the game define it as an RPG for you?

Annie: I love lots of game genres, but RPGs are my favorite, and since we knew we'd be working with the Age of Decadence engine, it seemed the wisest choice as a initial project. So it was part practicality and part personal inclination.

You're dead-on that RPGs are insanely tricky to define, but it's the character development (both in the mechanics of building skills and in the actual personality of people) that I find the most enticing about the genre, both as a player and as a developer. Writing an average townsperson in a generic fantasy game is okay, but writing someone who's under constant fear for their lives and who might have lost a family member to a zombie attack? A lot more interesting of a challenge right there!

Brian: Not the old “what is an RPG?” question already! Fair enough, we are calling it one. So, let’s see - stats and skill tweaking is a given, wooden stick to horn of alpha gorillas weapon progression sure, lots of items to sort and fuss over, yeah we have those. But I kind of feel ripped off if an RPG doesn’t have some actual choices in the story and the dialogue that has actual reactivity and payoff on character and story outcomes. That’s one of the things we have dedicated a lot of time to and where our years of development experience really pays off. And if we’ve done it right, each player will have a different story to tell.​

Enjoy!

Read the full article: RPG Codex Interview: DoubleBear on Dead State

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Looks good. Very long though, I'll have to read it tonight.
Thanks for the interview, Double Bear!

hiver

Very good interview.

Just one "nitpick". New weapons will add new tactical options. Not strategic options.
Strategy is what you would decide to do to influence the whole world map or... the overall conditions.
If that was possible in the game.
Whatever you do in combat itself is a tactical decision.

:x

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Very good interview.

Just one "nitpick". New weapons will add new tactical options. Not strategic options.
Strategy is what you would decide to do to influence the whole world map or... the overall conditions.
If that was possible in the game.
Whatever you do in combat itself is a tactical decision.

Maybe you discover a nuclear arsenal or something? That would certainly give strategic options.

hiver

Not available.
also, that was a part of the question... question written by codex staff!!

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
Not available.
also, that was a part of the question... question written by codex staff!!

I'd think about being the Generalissimo and Governor (or "guv'na", since it's Texas) of Zombieland in Dead State 2.:cool:
Let's see it this one is a hit or miss first. I'm inclined to think it'll be better than AoD, for one.

UnknownBro

Savant
I don't know about this one...
If you are going to make a proper RPG why shooting yourself in the foot making a zombie RPG. I don't get it.

EG

Nullified
If you are going to make a proper RPG why shooting yourself in the foot making a zombie RPG. I don't get it.

Should have really stuck with the original idea: elves.

Morkar Left

A good detailed interview! I think I have a good vision of the overall concept and gameplay elements now. If they can pull it like envisioned this will be a very interesting and unique rpg. I'm curious though how they keep the zombies scarry in melee. I would consider grapple mechanics a must for this.

I don't get it why people are bitching now about the zombie setting. How many zombie apocalypse rpgs were there before? 2? 3? And with focus on longtime-survival and group dynamics?

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
A good detailed interview! I think I have a good vision of the overall concept and gameplay elements now. If they can pull it like envisioned this will be a very interesting and unique rpg. I'm curious though how they keep the zombies scarry in melee. I would consider grapple mechanics a must for this.

Zombie grapple is in the combat mechanics.

EG

Nullified
Zombies just represent the usual old enemy NPCs. The RPG aspect is separate from this, is it not?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I fucking can't wait to play this. Fuck the setting, the mechanics are what look really, really cool to me.

I'm a bit afraid of feature creep, because it honestly looks like a massive game to make for such a small crew. But the vision is amazing.

hiver

Sounds pretty good, yeah. A bit too depressing of a subject and theme for me... but i will put in some hard earned Dongs to support design philosophy and future, lighter and more positive themed games from the studio... and IT of course, albeit indirectly.

BTW Oscar... did you guys notice any surge in interest to AOD itself fueled by this? Nice to see that "section" mentioned in this interview i have to say, old chaps...
And dont you think that Dead State could be used to indirectly get some nice PR for Age of Decadence and Iron Towers in general to greater audience?

I'd think about being the Generalissimo and Governor (or "guv'na", since it's Texas) of Zombieland in Dead State 2.:cool:
Let's see it this one is a hit or miss first. I'm inclined to think it'll be better than AoD, for one.
Well... then they could use the term Strategy!!!! Except ... then they would call it tactics..

:P

Agreed. Zombies really make for piss poor enemies. No intelligence, they only come in one variant (no attributes), no equipment etc.
But that's not really what the game is about i gather.
I'll still pass on this one though.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
the original idea: elves.

oh wow, really?

seriously a survival game versus inhuman fae humanoids would be awesome

you would get more than the rethreaded 'why zombies happen wtf' background mystery, plus fae can do some really weird shit or go by weird rules other than needing to be shot in the head and not needing to breathe or eat

so the survival horror aspect stays intact while being refreshed with the new unknowable antagonists, that you can have the luxury of being able to speak extremely cryptically every so often and perhaps with certain hunting phrases that you can grow to recognise

picture the concept artwork of bullets bouncing off a laughing female with flowers in her hair, a strange gown with sigils you cannot focus on and blood in her teeth

Wyrmlord

Arcane
There are also human enemies like looters, gangs, militias and so on.
Generally speaking, what will be the distinctive features of each group of enemies?

Will looters come in large numbers of poorly armed but suicidal and reckless people, and will gangs and militias be in smaller numbers, but better armed and more intelligent in how they handle things?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
make protagonist drink the zombie blood to become the black warden imo.

Good RPGs are simple to define: Wasteland: half adventure game (paragraphs, skill use, riddles and use of objects), half strategic placement of units for combat, Advance Wars-style. The real notion that seems totally moronic is: combat. Why do RPGs have to include combat, that's totally stupid. It's just shit: people who play CRPGs are pussies and will never fight against bullies. But they do love their RPG combat! Fucking jedi fat boy holding his stick in his garage.

The art of the XIXth century was the novel as defined by Flaubert and the russian writers. The one of the XXth was cinema and movies. The one of the XXIst is video games. In 20 years, it leaped from Méliès to Michael Bay. RPG design is the future of the video game but nobody who's a bit clever can't get to ffinish these moronic designs nowadays. For me FO:NV was the last engrossing RPG since the demise of Troïka: the rest was stupid. Even the japanese incline (Shin Megami Tensei on DS) doesn't cut the mustard as much as Might & Magic (and god knows that Might & Magic is perfectly stupid but it's at least fun).

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Why do RPGs have to include combat, that's totally stupid. It's just shit: people who play CRPGs are pussies and will never fight against bullies. But they do love their RPG combat! Fucking jedi fat boy holding his stick in his garage.

in cleve's case it's more like people wanting to avoid combat with an unstoppable apex neanderthal specimen that holds the interstellar planetrape ships at bay with his mere presence that skews the entire average genetic strength of the planet on their scanners

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom