Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Joystiq: Best Class System in RPGs Belongs to Wizardry VII

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: DW Bradley; SirTech; Wizardry VII: Crusaders Of The Dark Savant

Joystiq's Rowan Kaiser has penned an editorial that hails Wizardry VII's class system as the best thing to happen the genre and attempts to promote it to your average layman. Here's a couple of tidbits:

The most impressive class system I've seen in an RPG is in 1992's Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant (as well as its less well-known predecessor, Bane Of The Cosmic Forge). What initially appears to be a straightforward, rigid D&D-style system is given massive depth by two things: the importance of racial base stats in determining class, and a dynamic system that allows for both massive improvement and possible disaster. It's possibly the most in-depth system I've seen in any RPG, and one that I wish was more well-known.

[...] This is the greatest strength of the Wizardry VII engine. It allows you to develop your characters in any number of different fashions. The most normal method may be to start with six fairly simple characters – two fighters, a thief, and three magic-users, and convert them all permanently to more powerful classes like Samurai and Lords when they can change. Or you can build a party of characters designed to constantly switch to and from certain prestige classes like the Valkyrie or Ranger which keep most or all statistics high as well as fairly even. You could never change character classes during the entire game. Some people have even found it possible to play through the game with a single character!

I've never found a game with as deep or effective of a class system as Wizardry VII. The closest comparison is the Final Fantasy V/Tactics system, which allows you to maintain the skills of your old class after switching to a new one, although it lacks the complexity or potential for failure of Wizardry VII. Even the more accessible sequel, Wizardry VIII (2001), did away with critical components of this system. Wizardry VI/VII stand alone with the deepest, most powerful, and best class systems in RPG history. They're difficult, but well worth the trouble.​

You can read the thing in full if you just click here.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Isn't Rowan Kaiser the guy you all hate and talk shit about constantly? Guess you owe somebody an apology.

He's using pictures from Wizardry Gold : (

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Isn't Rowan Kaiser the guy you all hate and talk shit about constantly? Guess you owe somebody an apology.

He's using pictures from Wizardry Gold : (

Rowan is one of the great stopped clocks of the world.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I've been thinking about why the Wizardry 6/7 class system is so good recently and I think it has to do with the fact that each class is made up of lego bricks, or abilities. Basic classes only have one lego brick - fighters have the fighter lego brick, mages have the mage lego brick - but more advanced classes have more bricks - rangers have the fighter, thief and alchemist brick, bards have the thief and mage bricks. None of the advanced classes have anything unique to themselves, they're just more bricks stacked onto one another, giving them more versatility. The really great thing about it, though, is that when you switch classes, you don't lose any of the lego bricks you already have. If you switch from bishop to ranger, you have both the bishop's priest and mage bricks and the ranger's fighter, thief and alchemist bricks. In a lot of ways, it's like starting out with a castle lego set and then putting in parts from the space station set, and then the town set, and then the caveman set until you've got the best parts from the best sets all put together. It's this structural flexibility that makes Wizardry 6/7 so good.

In response to Jaesun, I think the only real difference is the amount of time you get to spend with it. It's a lot easier to never switch classes in 6 because the game is shorter and more linear. It's in 7 where you have more of an opportunity to develop your guys, but I think they're mechanically the same.

Duckard

Augur
It's in 7 where you have more of an opportunity to develop your guys

It's less like an opportunity and more like a necessity. Reduces the amount of grinding and backtracking you need to do considerably. Then again, I'm sure if you had 3 years to spend on the game you could beat it without class switching.

Anyway, feel like Wiz 6 and 7 class system tends to lead to who are extremely skilled in various disciplines, so everyone is great at hiding and alchemy and thaumaturgy, etc. This doesn't really happen in Wiz 6, but wiz 7 is longer, and you have more time to develop your characters. So although Wiz 7's class system is more memorable, it can also result in more homogenized characters.

Cenobyte

Prophet
To be honest, I like the system in Wiz 8 more than the system in Wiz 6/7.

The d100 system is very straightforward, easy to understand and use, and allows for enough flexibility to make it interesting and add to the replayability of the game. In contrast, in Wiz 6/7, you're too much dependent on luck.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wasn't Wiz VII (and before) the system where you had to constantly relod before levelling up, because randomness could completely fuck up your plan for a character?
If so, then yeah, a really well thought out system... :M

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Wasn't Wiz VII (and before) the system where you had to constantly relod before levelling up, because randomness could completely fuck up your plan for a character?

Yeah. That was rather RAGE inducing.

mondblut

Arcane
None of the advanced classes have anything unique to themselves, they're just more bricks stacked onto one another, giving them more versatility.

Wrong. Bards are unique in that they can use music instruments. Non-bards cannot use them, even if they previously had a tenure as bards and studied music skill. Ninjas and monks improve their AC as they level up, and they lose that bonus when they switch class. Other classes have their quirks as well, a valkyrie is not the same as a lord despite both being "fighter-priests".

mondblut

Arcane

Yeah. That was rather RAGE inducing.

Pfft, those who have no stomach for savescumming have no place playing RPGs. Enjoy your skyrimjobs and ass effects :decline:

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Autism_3.jpg

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
You can still count matches on the floor... But what about the rest of us?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom