Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Dungeon Lords hammered by Action Trip

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Dungeon Lords

<a href="http://www.actiontrip.com/">Action Trip</A>, one of those sites that loves action, has written <a href="http://www.actiontrip.com/reviews/dungeonlords.phtml">a review</A> of <a href="http://www.dungeonlordsgame.com">Dungeon Lords</a>. They hated it like most other people. In fact, the final score is a <b>Don't Bother/10</b>. Ouch. Here's a clip:
<br>
<blockquote>I did manage to reach the town in the end by catching a few "lucky" breaks. Oh, yes… The enemy AI is so stupid that you can easily trick them into killing their buddies by simply making sure the melee fighters chasing you are in the way of the spell casters who are trying to fry your ass. Or you could lure them to a door and then activate the door lock; like sliding doors in shopping malls, the wooden doors will keep trying to close and at the same time, keep slamming into the unfortunate enemies trying to get through. The whole scene looks utterly stupid, but it's fun in a way. Often, the enemy would get stuck on doorframes too, at which point I would switch to my bow and arrow and stick arrows in them until they were dead. Priceless AI.</blockquote>
<br>
Actually, I'm pretty sure that door squishing thing was intentional and is a feature. <b>D.W. Bradley</b> must have played <A href="http://dmweb.free.fr/">Dungeon Master</a>!
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>space captain</b>!

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Begging his publisher to give him a second, or maybe third, or fourth chance to 'make things right'. Dreamcatcher, being a bunch of softies, will probably give him another chance, and he'll release a second Dungeon Lords game that apologizes for the first. Instead of listening to him talk about how Dungeon Lords was the amalgamation of 20 years of RPG research and development, he'll be more likely to admit that Dungeon Lords was a 'flawed, if not brilliantly conceived game that never reached fruition due to a variety of issues' in a no doubt upcoming GameSutra 'post mortem' feature and how Dungeon Lords 2 plans to take everything good from the first game and make the game that they truly wanted to make.

Or some such.

Second Chance

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
Major_Blackhart said:
What was before DL?

Wizards & Warriors. It was pretty awful. It was basically a wizardry clone done poorly.

Wizards and Warriors was very good RPG. Not as good as previous works from DW Bradley like Wzardry 6 and 7, but still very good.

Oh and it can't be finished in 2 hours like Fallout...

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Oh and it can't be finished in 2 hours like Fallout..
Yeah, it just drags on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on...

And come on people, what's with all the Wizardry 6 and 7 worship? They sucked, they weren't good RPGs, and they were barely adequate dungeon crawls. Wizardry 8 is infinitely better than anything Bradley ever conceieved of.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Naked_Lunch said:
Wizardry 8 is infinitely better than anything Bradley ever conceieved of.
Yeah, I agree. I was pretty miffed when SirTech finally made the ultimate party-first-person game and then promptly folded.

I still think Wizardry 7 was a good game though. However, Wizardry Gold sullies/insults my memories of it somewhat - all that tarting it up with very crappy voice overs and sound fx just ruined it. Dumbasses.

As for Wizards and Warriors, well i've already made my opinion known in posts over the years. It is certainly not upper echelon stuff, but no way is it as bad as people like to make out.
In terms of flops, no way is it in the league of Dung Lords.
After a bit of perserverance (and it required some - initial impressions were not at all favourable) I found myself quite enjoying it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom