Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Colin McComb Comments on Wasteland 2 @ Eurogamer

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Colin McComb; InXile Entertainment; Wasteland 2

Eurogamer has put up a short interview article with Planescape: Torment's Colin McComb, now on the writing team on Wasteland 2:

"I don't think it's any secret that I'm a huge role-playing fan, and Brian has led the way in one sense or another for years," he told us. "When Wasteland 2 was announced, I was frankly envious of the people who got to work on it, and when they announced the addition of [Chris] Avellone to the writing team, I knew it would be good.

"It took me at least five minutes before I wrote an email to Chris to let him know that if inXile was looking for another writer I would be happy to clear my schedule. With the writing team Brian had already assembled, I didn't think there was actually a shot at it happening, but I had to go on the record.

"At any rate: Brian wrote and asked if I'd be interested last week. He sent over some of the materials and the background on the area they'd like me to cover. He didn't really have to do much more convincing than that. He called a little later, though, and we talked about the state of the RPG portion of the industry, where the rest of the industry is going, and what he intends to do.

"If I hadn't been sold before," he added, "that would have done it, because it accorded perfectly with our comments in the chat the other night."

That chat McComb referred to will remain a secret until some time next week, when I'll bare all.

"What Wasteland 2 means to me?" McComb went on. "It means a re-examination of the foundation of the genre, a reminder that role-playing games are actually about making choices and seeing those choices culminate in a dramatically satisfying and logical ending. The original Wasteland was visionary; there's a good reason why people remember it so well so many years later. Seeing player choice honoured and validated, rewarding replay, and full character personalisation is a reminder of how exciting and immersive RPGs can be.

"Getting to work with the original creators and so many of my Interplay pals... I don't think I can do justice to my feelings without slipping into purely joyful profanity. What I will say is that after my call with Brian, I ran downstairs and jumped around in a circle with my kids. (I refrained from swearing there, too, I need to add)

"Now that I've got even more documentation and information to look through, I'm suddenly realising what I've signed up for. Man, this is going to be a hell of a challenge, and I mean that entirely in a good way. The best way, in fact."​

Let's just hope the entire team is up to the challenge.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Man, it's pretty nice to see these guys get excited about making a real cRPG (at least what I consider a real one) again and it doesn't sound like PR-double talk you get out of "big boy" publishers/ developers. Most interviews I've read from all those attached to W2 genuinely seem to be excited about making this game the way cRPGs are supposed to be made. Without the constraints modern game making/ publishing has imposed on them for many years. The shackles of decline are falling off ;)

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Love to hear or read that chat myself, I would.

Also: Two whole posts and nobody bitching about anything yet? I'm impressed.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Too many writers, this is going to be a fucking mess. No word on gameplay yet.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
I was just trolling TwinkieMacaco, but yes, I agree with you dear sir.

Oesophagus

Arcane
Let's hope they don't rush it. I want them to polish the shit out of W2, so that all the new "immersive" bioware/bethesda turds get a good slap in the face from a proper RPG

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom