Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Oblivion scores the Best of E3 award

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

<a href=http://www.rpgfan.com>RPG Fan</a> has given 3 highly prestigious and much coveted <a href=http://www.rpgfan.com/features/e3-2005/awards/index.html>E3 awards</a>. The Bestest of E3 went to <a href=http://www.theelderscrolls.com/home/home.htm>Oblivion</a>, the Best PC Game went to <a href=http://www.hellgatelondon.com/>Hellgate</a>
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is the next step forward in Bethesda Softworks' Elder Scrolls series. A next-generation graphics engine attached to the classic open-ended gameplay provides Oblivion with what will most likely be "instant-classic" status upon release. Bethesda went so far as to visit the University of Maryland Geology Lab, learn how forests came into existence, and built a tool to create the forests for the game. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion will see release in Winter 2005 for the PC and Xbox 360.</blockquote>
<br>
Visiting geology labs is as retarded as <a href=http://www.bioware.com>hiring linguists to develop new languages</a>.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Different developers. Different jobs.

Some people would say, "To think that they could've used what valuable time making the game pretty and adding Jean Luc Picard's voice to implement multiplayer mode. ZOMG"

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Somehow, I don't think investigating geology to develop a tool that will allow users to create advanced geology is that bad. At least at first glance it seems to have better applications than developing a complete and unique language for a videogame.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Yeah. It does allow for some very fantastic and lifelike terrains. I for one have never before seen a realistic looking rivercreek in a game. Handmade maps tend to be too squareish, too roundish, or just plain artificial. When you're aiming for an immersive environment, the environment's the first thing you want to fix.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I think this is an example of why other developers working on CRPGs should have bothered to take their CRPGs to E3 as well. As far as I know or can remember, Hellgate London and Oblivion were the only two there.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
I think this is an example of why other developers working on CRPGs should have bothered to take their CRPGs to E3 as well. As far as I know or can remember, Hellgate London and Oblivion were the only two there.
Gothic 3 and the Witcher were also there.

voodoo1man

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Bethesda went so far as to visit the University of Maryland Geology Lab, learn how forests came into existence, and built a tool to create the forests for the game.

Talk to geologists about how forests grow? How much sense does that make? Shouldn't they be poking around the forestry department?

Greatatlantic

Erudite
voodoo1man said:
Talk to geologists about how forests grow? How much sense does that make? Shouldn't they be poking around the forestry department?

Nah, colleges really don't have forest departments, and geology is probably the best place to go if you want to know how forests developed over the eons, since that stuff is fossilized in rock records.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
No, the guy doing the terrain generation talked to geologists about that. Has nothing to do with forest generation.

Sarvis

Erudite
Sol Invictus said:
Yeah. It does allow for some very fantastic and lifelike terrains. I for one have never before seen a realistic looking rivercreek in a game. Handmade maps tend to be too squareish, too roundish, or just plain artificial. When you're aiming for an immersive environment, the environment's the first thing you want to fix.

slartibartfast1.jpg

"In this replacement Earth we're building they've given me Africa
to do and of course I'm doing it with all fjords again because I
happen to like them, and I'm old fashioned enough to think that
they give a lovely baroque feel to a continent. And they tell me
it's not equatorial enough. Equatorial!" - Slartibartfast

Guess it's a good thing we don't live on Earth mk II, or Ex would never feel immersed!

Yeah, so I'm bored at work...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom