Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview RPG Codex Interview: Monte Cook on Dungeons & Dragons and RPG Design

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Dungeons & Dragons; Monte Cook; PnP Interview

In this installment of the RPG Codex Pen&Paper Interview series, we offer you an interview with Monte Cook himself. The questions are all Alex's. We are grateful to Monte Cook for taking time out of his schedule to answer them.

Have a snippet:

RPG Codex: You did a lot of work on the Planescape setting. Modules like Dead Gods, The Great Modron March and even the Faction War bear your name in the credits. So do a few of the setting oriented books, like The Inner Planes and Planes of Conflict. How was it working on the setting? What were the parts of the Planescape you most enjoyed? Which ones did you wish you could change? What are your thoughts about the way the Faction War destroyed a lot of what you built before?

MC: Planescape was wildly imaginative -- I loved the creative freedom it offered. It encouraged thinking so far out of the box that every day was a new challenge. I loved working on that team -- it was both rewarding and a hell of a lot of fun.

Faction War was never meant to be the end of PS. There was supposed to be a follow-up adventure/sourcebook that rebuilt things. But the line was cancelled before it could come out. A real shame. In later years, however, I was able to produce a sort of Planescape reunion product for Malhavoc Press called Beyond Countless Doorways. I brought together Zeb Cook, Michele Carter, Colin McComb, Ray Vallese, and Wolfgang Baur, some of the core minds that PS came from, and we put together a d20 sourcebook about planar travel that I'm really proud of.

RPG Codex: After Rolemaster, you worked on the second edition of AD&D, on various sourcebooks and modules. Could you tell us a little about how different the design culture between the two games were? Specifically, it seems to me AD&D at that time tried focusing on settings, the overall impression being that it was trying to outdo White Wolf in their own game. Do you agree with that impression, and if so, did this clash with the old philosophy they had, of making games that were more sandbox oriented?

MC: I don't think anyone at TSR was thinking about WW when designing a strategy. TSR was extremely isolated in its thinking. It was top dog and didn't feel much need to pay attention to the rest of the industry. This didn't change until the release of Magic: The Gathering, and that wasn't an rpg issue at all.

TSR and ICE were very, very different. ICE was small and the president was as likely as not to have lunch with the lowest employee. TSR was structured and the creatives steered well clear of the executives. Both places, however, were very fun, very enjoyable environments with good people. ICE ran into financial troubles, which darkened things, but in the end so did TSR, so in those ways they were similar too.

You're right though, TSR was focused on setting and adventures at the time, and ICE (at least as far as RM goes) on rules. It's a very different kind of design, but I enjoy both.

RPG Codex: Since leaving Wizards, you have gone back to your own endeavor, the Monte Cook Games site. From your blog, it seems like you are working on a new system already. Could you tell us a bit about what you have in mind and how it differs from your previous work?

MC: It's a game called Numenera, and I have been, and will continue to write extensively about it. It's a post-apocalyptic science fantasy set in the far distant future. The game focuses mainly on the story and the action, and less on the rules. It's a game that empowers both GM and players over the rules as written in many ways. In many ways, this is a return to my roots, both in its approach to gaming (very similar to the way I ran games back in early D&D) and in its relationship to things like Planescape, where the cool setting and amazing ideas took precedence over things like tactical combat and super-detailed rules. I hope people will take a look at both montecookgames.com and numenera.com for more on the new game as it takes shape.​

Read the full article: RPG Codex Interview: Monte Cook on Dungeons & Dragons and RPG design

catfood

AGAIN
Ok, I read it and I have to say 2 things :

1) either Cook is a man of few words or he didn't care that much for this interview. Is it just me or are Alex's questions longer than Cook's answers?
2) why didn't you ask him about why he left WOTC? I mean, he probably would have refused to answer it but it would have been worth a try anyway.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Well his KS campaign seems to be going very good. It seems like an interesting setting.

Alex

Arcane
Ok, I read it and I have to say 2 things :

1) either Cook is a man of few words or he didn't care that much for this interview. Is it just me or are Alex's questions longer than Cook's answers?

Well, I would like to believe my questions aren't at fault here for failing to engage him, so I am going to say it was probably that he is super busy lately. When I sent in the questions, he was still working on the LotFP indiegogo adventure, which unfortunately got shelved before he moved to this new one. During this time he also made a trip here to Brazil, where he participated of a local convention and took some time to travel the southern area. Then he started this new kickstarter with all that it entails and while keeping up with his new forum posts.

2) why didn't you ask him about why he left WOTC? I mean, he probably would have refused to answer it but it would have been worth a try anyway.

Eh, I thought I would just get a repeat of what he posted on his own website. I mean, the man has obviously said as much of the subject as he will to strangers.

By the way, even if he was a bit busy, Monte Cook was a great interviewee. I want to thank him for his time and patience, as well as thank all the Codex staff for all the help editing and posting, in this specific case specially Sceptic, Crooked Bee, Zed and Grunker and VentilatorOfDoom. I hope you guys enjoy the interview, and if you would like to make suggestions for future ones (either about subject or style) feel free to do so.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Great interview Alex!

It's a pity his answers are so short, really, as it's apparant he has some interesting things to say. It also hints a bit as to the design principles he wasn't that happy with in 5E. I disagree with him on those, so I'm not too sad after all. I like his new setting, though, and I loved a couple of his adventures. Hope he writes a couple of those for 5E when it's out.

grotsnik

Arcane
Yeah, I thought it was a shame that the answers tended to be shorter than the questions, but I don't think they come across as terse or as if he's uninterested in engaging with the questions, particularly. They're just a bit barebones and lacking in juicy insight. Anyway, it was a nice read - great job, Alex!

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Great interview Alex!

It's a pity his answers are so short, really, as it's apparant he has some interesting things to say. It also hints a bit as to the design principles he wasn't that happy with in 5E. I disagree with him on those, so I'm not too sad after all. I like his new setting, though, and I loved a couple of his adventures. Hope he writes a couple of those for 5E when it's out.

Keep in mind that he's a level 20 game designer. :smug:

Turjan

Arcane
Nice, didn't know about Beyond Countless Doorways.
It's funny that he is still pushing that one. I have the book, and for me, it's a bit of a mixed bag. You could easily use it in a standard D&D game (some of the locations were pocket planes), though, so it wasn't really limited to Planescape. It was one of the most popular releases from Malhavoc Press.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nice interview, although I think Mr. Cook treated it more as an opportunity to promote Numenera, which would explain the short answers.

Alex said:
Troika Games released a computer adaption of the first Temple of Elemental Evil, but using the 3rd edition rules (in fact, the only computer game that implemented 3rd edition rules as they are written, turn based).
Wasn't Pool of Radiance (the newer one) a turn-based implementation of D&D 3.0 too?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Wasn't Pool of Radiance (the newer one) a turn-based implementation of D&D 3.0 too?

Yep, Alex is wrong there. It even said "the first D&D 3rd edition PC game!" on the back of the box. However, it was a piss-poor implementation.

Alex

Arcane
Well, I said computer game, not computer virus M:

But yeah, nice catch. sorry for the mistake, guys. I had no idea it was turn based either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom