Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Nuclear Union Preview at Gamespot UK

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: 1C Company; Best Way; Nuclear Union

Gamespot UK offers a preview of Nuclear Union, a Ukrainian postapocalyptic RPG/shooter/thingy. Have a snippet:

Rather than pit the player against warring factions and tribes, Nuclear Union is rooted in a world where the Soviet government and the underlying infrastructure have survived an attack from the United States and have reemerged from their underground bunkers. Their primary goals are to rebuild and survive in the harsh landscape of their new capital, Pobedograd.

[...] The main character, a nameless Soviet officer, may be accompanied by up to two party members. You'll have the power to decide whom to dismiss or accept into your ranks, according to the FAQ on the Nuclear Union website. There's also mention of moral choices and branching paths, though it's noted that the protagonist shall forever remain on the side of "good." When we asked 1C about the identity of the antagonist, they were quick to play the "we can't reveal further details" card. Interestingly, based on prior comments relating to the unknown status of the US government or its citizens, it's safe to assume the forces of "evil" will have origins within the surviving members of the U.S.S.R.

The most interesting element during the demo was the appearance of physical anomalies, Nuclear Union's version of environmental puzzles. The impact of a nuclear attack doesn't just destroy life and mangle buildings; such a profound expulsion of energy also disturbs the forces of nature, creating pockets in space with their own gravitational fields. They don't pose a direct threat to the player, and are completely optional, but resolving anomalies rewards you with items and special abilities. By manipulating objects orbiting the core of an anomaly, you can neutralize its gravitational field and gain access to the prize within. Just make sure you watch your back while doing so, lest you risk attack from the hordes of mutants roaming the land.​

The preview also includes some alpha environment footage of the game.

Thanks RPGWatch

kaizoku

Arcane
why can't the americans be the bad guys? just like in the real world? :rpgcodex:

and what's up with the anomalies bullshit? :rpgcodex:
the idea of puzzles is nice, but antigravity seems out of place

well, it could still be fun, but what I'd really like to see would be a proper Afterfall (before the management fucked it up) *sigh*

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
I snorted up both Metro and the Stalker games.....If they have mechanics a'la Deus Ex/Bloodlines Im utterly sold.

The gravity puzzles...worries me a bit though.

Sorta puts down my hope that it will be free roaming as Stalker was.

Edit:

RTFA, the open maps seem nice so, being hopeful for now.

Really wish we could get more gameplay footage out these previews.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Btw, this game has a mission-based gameplay/progression, not an open world Fallout-style, thus I'm skeptical.

GaemzDood

Educated
RPG/shooter? It just looks like a shooter to me; but if it has some developers of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. on the team, its Game of the Year material since Metro 2033 & the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. trilogy are what modern shooters should strive to be.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
why can't the americans be the bad guys? just like in the real world?
Why would there be Americans in post-apocalypse Russia? Any surviving kwans would be busy trying to survive in their own version of nuclear hell, see games like Wasteland and Fallout for reference.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom