Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Chaos Chronicles Development Blog: Hexes vs. Squares

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Chaos Chronicles; Coreplay

The team behind Chaos Chronicles, the upcoming turn- and party-based fantasy RPG that we did an interview about recently, have put up a new post in their development blog, entitled "Combat System: Hexes vs. Squares." Here's a snip:

One strong argument for hexes was that they add more depth to combat. Six sides are just better than four.

Reason one: Movement costs are more obvious. The distance from any position on the hex grid to the center of the next position on the grid is same for each of the six adjacent hexagons. There is no diagonal movement to an adjacent square that only touches the field you are currently on in a single point instead of sharing a side with it. With squares you either have to make diagonal movement cheaper (and thus preferable and exploitable) as moving two squares to reach the same diagonal one or more expensive than moving a single square. With hexes you move one field and it can always be the same cost. If you have played D&D 4th Edition (which will let you move diagonally at the cost of one square) you will know the urge to exploit that apparent “extra ground” you can cover by moving diagonally. We felt that in a video game where you want to simply point at your target field and have the character move there it was easier to calculate the path to go.

Reason two: With hexes you can have a clear facing into the moving direction. With squares you either have to start implying that it is actually an octagon you stand on and you have eight directions you can have your character face in or make facing be irrelevant (as D&D 4th Edition did where it is only relevant that two enemies cover opposing squares adjacent to the one you are standing in). We wanted facing to be relevant for actions like backstabbing since trying to get into the back of another character (or trying to make sure the back of your own character is covered) adds more depth to the decisions made in combat.​

There's also Reason three; check it out on their website.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
They have a point. Hexes are inherently better and more 'fair' when it comes to turn-based tactical gameplay. Square fields only have the advantage when there are clear distinctions between moving horizontally/vertically and diagonally (like there are in chess).

D&D 3.0 and onwards should have been hex-based in the first place. All additional rules for moving diagonally only make the combat needlessly more complicated.

MMXI

Arcane
This is an interesting topic. I've kind of wanted to try out hexes, but the problem is that I can't align them with my square tile based maps in a one-to-one fashion. Of course, I could ignore the square tiles completely for the purposes of movement, but this defeats an important part of my design in which tiles inherit properties that can result in various effects being applied to the characters. The other option, which requires quite a bit of recoding, is to switch the square tiles to hexagonal tiles, but as my game features mainly urban locations, it doesn't fit too nicely with rectangular buildings and rooms.

Anyway, from a purely tactical point of view I don't actually think it matters too much, especially on computers. Square grids may be easier to draw on paper, and hexagonal grids deal with non-cardinal movement easier (rules dealing with diagonal movement on a square gird can be rather complex), but on a computer neither of these really matter much because the complexities are taken away from the player. So really, with appropriately handled diagonal movement, you've got 8 directions with squares and only 6 with hexagons. And attacking from the diagonal could be made advantageous for certain longer weapons (such as spears), which could add some sort of chess-like (gamey) complexity.

There is far less in it than the fans of either side make out there is. I've just got a preference for hexagonal grids in highly abstracted strategy games, and a preference for square grids in small scale tactical games (like RPGs).

MCA
My experience with games lead me to think that square works best for heavily long distance combat, especially based on firearms and hexes best for close, especially for melee or abstracted, as in HOMM series.

Except for Arcanum. It just sucked in combat. Nothing can save a broken system.

Niektory

one of some
Patron
My experience with games lead me to think that square works best for heavily long distance combat, especially based on firearms and hexes best for close, especially for melee or abstracted, as in HOMM series.
Isn't the grid type mostly irrelevant for long distance combat? Since you have bullets flying in straight lines ignoring the grid.

Marsal

Arcane

For instance, does anyone feel the same way that either has a bias towards ranged / melee combat? I tend to think that a hexagonal grid is much better suited to melee combat if only for the natural inclination it provides towards footwork and opponents circling one another. Put two figures on anywhere on a hexagonal grid and their opposition towards each other is naturally complimented by the movement options the hexagonal grid provides. With a square grid, it becomes more like an environmental puzzle-game (which is kind of how I felt like playing AoD combat demo -not that it's anything bad or a disadvantage but just different).
cbY5R.gif

MCA
Isn't the grid type mostly irrelevant for long distance combat? Since you have bullets flying in straight lines ignoring the grid.

Maybe. It might be just the nostalgia. It feels easier to plan ahead with firearms based on a square grid system because everything is so tidy and exact. Eg. in JA2, you as a player take into a lot of things like shooting distance in squares, moving in and out of cover. It's more intuitive in a square grid but maybe the reason I'm thinking that way is the abundance of TB military games using square grid.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
Urban environments (and most buildings in general) do map more nicely into a square grid. That's probably the reason.

Dungeons and Castles as well, but we placed so much debris and obstacles into the world that almost every straight architecture has been neutralized.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Hex grid is fine but hex tiles makes my eyes bleed, they're only fit for heavily abstracted things like wargames in my opinion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom