Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torchlight 2 Info Package

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Runic Games; Torchlight 2

Runic Games' Torchlight 2 is only 2 days away from release. Here's the launch trailer:

Behold the bedazzling particle effects.

Talking about particle effects, Torchlight 2 vs. Diablo III, which one is better and why? A comparison Kotaku had to make:
In Torchlight II, you'll have far more control over your character build. I've been playing as an engineer, and have been choosing from among three different skill trees, each of which are tied to a different kind of combat—two-handed, sword and shield, or gadget-based. It feels much more like a standard RPG (or more like Diablo II) than the slot-based, interchangeable upgrades of Diablo III.

On a related note, it's also worth mentioning that Torchlight II's skill trees are much more permanent—you can undo your last three skill upgrades in town (for a price), but you can't just swap your skills around all willy-nilly like you can in Diablo III. It's more restrictive, but also truer to its roots. It could be that you can fully re-spec on New Game + or something; I'm not that far yet. It'd be nice! But when it comes down to it: Not counting the mouse, Diablo III has four hotkeys for powers; Torchlight II has ten.
Reading through that - surprisingly informative - article it seems Torchlight 2 is superior in every conceivable way.

Lastly, IGN caught up with Runic's Max Schaefer:
Schaefer does offer a critique of the way Diablo III dealt with character development and skills customization. “Some of the criticism of Diablo III was about how there isn't really a lot of differentiation between builds of a character, because they all unlock the same skills at the same time. There's less of an opportunity to make a character that's truly individual for you. I think that could have the possibility of reducing longevity, because once you've played through it with a character, there's no particular reason to go through and try a different build.

"I think that we also have, maybe, a longer game at this point. More randomization. A little bit more replayability. I think that Diablo III focused a little more on super-polished mechanics and balance and look and art direction. They're on a Blizzard level. They're seriously good. But it's at the expense, a little bit, of the replayability.”

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Did they give the Outlander a cool mechanic like the other classes have or is it still just a boring buff to all stats?

Angthoron

Arcane
Why is there a Perfect World logo? What did I miss? Can I have a pet riding a pet riding a pet in a beautiful harmony?

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
Its Perfect World engine, the pet was dictated by them but still more fun then derpablo 3.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I played but did not like Boringlands. Have no interest in 2. You can check my STEAM account for more info.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Game should have been out six+ months ago but... ERMAGURD TERCHLEET TOOOOOO!!!!! Finally. :yeah:

Re: Perfect World. After Torchlight 1 Runic got a big investment from Perfect World... not sure you could say they are the 'publisher' since Runic self-publishers in the U.S. and parts of Europe (Derp Silver might publish in other parts) although I do think they publish it in Asia.

Moreover, Torchlight 2 was never really planned. They were going to go straight to an MMO after Torchlight 1 but obviously that was pushed back when they decided on a sequel. It's still in the works because they still took Perfect World's money. Re: the engine I don't think it is their engine. I think the original TL1 used Ogre and the sequel does, too. Not 100% sure, though.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah I'm VERY happy they put the MMO aside and will soon have Torchlight II <3.

I really have no interest in a Torchlight MMO personally. But good luck with that.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I hope the music in the first half of the trailer is in the game. Really liked that.

Also... can't wait.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was surprised when I got a beta invite for Torchlight 2. I couldn't even remember to have ever registered on the main page,
as forum registration didn't qualify. Ah well, I thought, so is this still being made? Can as well download and try it for a bit. Next
thing I remember is the landlord calling, that I'm behind with the rent for two weeks. I went in a bit of a cold withdrawal after
the beta ended. Didn't feel it till after three days. Tremors began again, some days ago, could coincide with the announcement
of the release date. I didn't even plan to like the first game. There something seriously unhealthy going on. I have already
preloaded it too. I'm thinking about torching my PC. On the other hand... I could just play it until suddenly Wasteland 2
and Shadowrun Returns is released.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yeah I'm VERY happy they put the MMO aside and will soon have Torchlight II <3.

I really have no interest in a Torchlight MMO personally. But good luck with that.

Could go either way for me -- depends entirely how its done. Not wild about the involvement of Perfect World and I often wonder why they felt the need to get into business with them. I guess they felt they didn't have the manpower/resources to implement an MMO on their own but they would have been better off teaming with GabeN (Valve showed a big interest in TL after its launch even having a small feature/article showing all of the employees characters and such).

At the very least the non-MMO version and all of its subsequent expansions/sequels is solely controlled by Runic.

Terpsichore

Arcane
I was a bit interested but then heard that each player sees and gets his own loot (like in Diablo 3) and stopped caring.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I was a bit interested but then heard that each player sees and gets his own loot (like in Diablo 3) and stopped caring.

Fail to see why that's bad, or rather, so bad you wouldn't want to play.

Terpsichore

Arcane
Because its retarded and makes the whole experience shallow.

At least there should be an option to turn it off.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
That's not an explanation. Exactly why does it do that?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Because its retarded and makes the whole experience shallow.

At least there should be an option to turn it off.

Yeah, spam-clicking like a motherfucker is not retarded or shallow in any way.

Honestly, I'd like a need-or-greet system better, but whatever.

Terpsichore

Arcane
I want to see what exactly drops, having to tell other people what dropped is a hassle, it just feels pointless and awkward. I don't want MORE loot either.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I want to see what exactly drops, having to tell other people what dropped is a hassle, it just feels pointless and awkward. I don't want MORE loot either.

Well it's not like the loot is pre-seeded. It's randomly generated on drop so what drops is what drops. Can't really think of a better way to combat douche-baggery in public games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom