Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #6: Project Eternity To Use Unity Engine

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

In the latest Kickstarter update, Obsidian Entertainment have revealed they're using - no, not a modification of Onyx - everyone's favorite engine, Unity. Here's the explanation:

At Obsidian, we have always tried to choose the engine and toolset most suited to the game we are making. When making a sequel to an existing game, we use the engine from the original game so that we don’t waste time recreating the inner workings and gameplay behavior in a new engine before we can even start developing new content. When creating a new game from scratch, we evaluate the options available to us and choose the one we think fits best. In the case of Project Eternity, we feel the best fit is Unity.

Unity enables small teams to be very productive. Unity has an amazing development environment that makes it very easy for programmers, artists and designers to work together to build great games. In a very short time we have already made great progress prototyping some of the core functionality for Project Eternity.

We do intend to use some of our in-house tools in conjunction with Unity where it makes sense, such as in the case of creating conversations and editing some of the RPG-specific game data. Unity makes it very easy to extend not only the game engine but the development tools as well, and we feel integrating some of the tools that have already proven effective on previous Obsidian games will get us off to a great start on the development of Project Eternity.

Unity also supports a wide range of target platforms. We knew that a likely request from the community was going to be support for Mac and Linux versions of the game, and we wanted to make sure we were in the best position to do that. While we could have ported Onyx, our internal engine technology, to those platforms, the time and effort required to do so would reduce the budget we have to make the game and result in less of the awesome gameplay and content our fans desire. Mac and Linux will still require time and effort from us to test, maintain and support but Unity gets us most of the way there. In fact, our experience with Unity so far has made us confident enough that we have decided to remove Linux support from the stretch goals and just commit to providing a Linux version right here and now! Of course, we can’t take something away from our stretch goals without putting something else in its place, so what is that going to be?

The $2.2 million stretch goal will still include a new Region, a new Faction, a new Companion and all the hours of additional gameplay, quests, NPCs and items that go along with those things. But we’ve also got something new coming to this stretch goal, and it’s big enough that it’s deserving of its own update to talk about it! So tune in this coming Monday, September 24th where we will reveal our new stretch goals, unveil a fun new tracker for them, and announce our schedule of guest stars for the week!​

So what do you think now, Vault Dweller?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Surprisingly little butthurt. Let me give it a push:

Blame this on Mac and Linux fags. When the fuck did they start to matter and have requests? Just be happy if games run in your shit Wine emulator.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It has probably little to do with Mac and Linux users. Unity is cheap and InXile already using it, maybe its was the main reason.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I pretty much figured they would also use Unity (with the announcement that they were NOT using Onyx). I assume both Obsidian and InXile would be helping each other out, engine wise.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Macfags and linsux nerds are so fucking entitled even though they barely buy any games. Back when Loki was doing ports of windows games for linux, they barely sold any, instead linsux nerds kept asking them to release the exe-files so they can get windows-version for cheaps or pirate it.

kaizoku

Arcane
Why is this engine bad? Not trolling, just curious.

inb4 search is off.

The problem is that they will have to code a new engine from scratch, which will take time and money!
Instead they could have used Tim Cain's Steam engine (ToEE, Arcanum).

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Why is this engine bad? Not trolling, just curious.

inb4 search is off.

The problem is that they will have to code a new engine from scratch, which will take time and money!
Instead they could have used Tim Cain's Steam engine (ToEE, Arcanum).
What are you talking about? Unity is the engine. If you're talking about setting it up so it works with obsidian's in-house dialogue tools and stuff like that, I think that's gonna be a lot less painless than it would be to set up Source.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
They already set it up to work with their tools, for Wasteland 2.

The whole indignation is based on an assumption that some are making that an RPG can't be made in less than 3 years unless it's based on a pre-existing engine with pre-existing assets. Both inXile and Obsidian cited ease and speed of use specifically for selecting Unity. I expect them both to go a few months past their deadline because that's how videogame industry works, but I don't think the assumption of 17/18-month cycle is impossible should be taken as gospel truth.

The engine is fine, in other words.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Someone complained that the UE games look cartoony. Does it depend on the engine or on the artists?

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Someone complained that the UE games look cartoony. Does it depend on the engine or on the artists?

Both. Artist and whatever renderer they end up using. I seem to remember though, that I've heard they are coding their own renderer for this to get the infinity feel right?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lots of faggots in the Kickstarter comments whining about Wasteland 2's "cartoony" art.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Thanks guys.

How can Obsidian suck at PR that much? They know concerns about UNITY and they did nothing resolve them. And the pledging almost died the moment Obsidian said UNITY...

FeelTheRads

Arcane
HURR DURR, it always "dies", but somehow it doesn't. :roll:

last8diff.png

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
That looks cartoony as hell.

For a videogame? No. It looks cartoony as a 3D animated short, because, well, 3D animation = a cartoon.

This is exactly my problem with the whole "cartoony" shit. People just seem to use it to mean whatever they want it to mean. A videogame that looked like that short would not be cartoony, that's stupid. Is this cartoony too?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
This is exactly my problem with the whole "cartoony" shit. People just seem to use it to mean whatever they want it to mean. A videogame that looked like that short would not be cartoony, that's stupid.

Actually I think that people are so used to cartoony shit that they can't tell it apart anymore. That looks pretty much like an early Pixar movie. Look at the character. No textures to speak of either, just simple materials.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I pretty much figured they would also use Unity (with the announcement that they were NOT using Onyx). I assume both Obsidian and InXile would be helping each other out, engine wise.
Exactly. Wasteland 2 uses it, they're collaborating, makes sense.

made

Arcane
Perhaps instead of "cartoony" it would be more appropriate to say "it looks like a fucking Wii game".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom