Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #6: Project Eternity To Use Unity Engine

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
That looks pretty much like an early Pixar movie.

Because it's an animated short. Don't look at the character, look at the effects, look at the buildings and vehicles. There's nothing cartoony about the engine's capabilities. Here, some more environments. This whole "Unity is cartoony" shit needs to end.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
There's nothing cartoony about the engine's capabilities.

Hey, I never said that about the engine. I said that about the movie you linked to when trying to prove that it doesn't look cartoony.

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
This is exactly my problem with the whole "cartoony" shit. People just seem to use it to mean whatever they want it to mean. A videogame that looked like that short would not be cartoony, that's stupid.

Side track, because of important point: Exactly. People should specify. The problem works in both directions, too. Diablo 3, for example, people said looked "cartoony", and then others agreed and said "yeah they should make it less saturated". But that wasn't the problem at all. Making it darker didn't solve anything. It still has caricature characters with super exaggerated armors and what not, which is what I would've meant with "cartoony".

kaizoku

Arcane
Why is this engine bad? Not trolling, just curious.

inb4 search is off.

The problem is that they will have to code a new engine from scratch, which will take time and money!
Instead they could have used Tim Cain's Steam engine (ToEE, Arcanum).
What are you talking about? Unity is the engine. If you're talking about setting it up so it works with obsidian's in-house dialogue tools and stuff like that, I think that's gonna be a lot less painless than it would be to set up Source.

Wrong wording on my side.
Yes, they'll have to spend time using its API to get it to do what they want.
Unity provides the tools, but you still have to build it.
Instead they could have went with the Steam Engine (the one from Troika) since it's ready for game production. Maybe that wasn't possible or they want to avoid any future legal issues.

The fact that inXile has already spent time with Unity, and assuming there will be collaboration, lessens this overhead.

Licaon_Kter

Augur
Macfags and linsux nerds are so fucking entitled even though they barely buy any games. Back when Loki was doing ports of windows games for linux, they barely sold any, instead linsux nerds kept asking them to release the exe-files so they can get windows-version for cheaps or pirate it.
Actually the Loki's CEO greed fucked up the Q3 Linux release, yeah the one that would have made Linux a main gaming platform, he stretched the Linux release date 2 weeks or so after the Windows one for some shitty boxes or somethin' thinking that 'oh well everyone would just wait for it'... guess what? they did not, so they ended up putting the exes up for the grabs so they had 5 Linux boxes sold yet 100000 Linux users playing (pirates or not)... holla... yeah, no wonder Linux games sell so bad since they don't bother to release them on the same timeframe as the Windows ones, yeah, Torchlight1 is great, bought it now for cheaps (well above the average Linux buyer that is) but wouldn't it been better for all of us to let me buy it on launch? WastelandZwei and Eternity get the full price from me... 'cause I can have them just like the rest. Look, I'm not special, I did not demand to be special, yet everyone thinks I'm special? fail

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Macfags and linsux nerds are so fucking entitled even though they barely buy any games. Back when Loki was doing ports of windows games for linux, they barely sold any, instead linsux nerds kept asking them to release the exe-files so they can get windows-version for cheaps or pirate it.
For indie games at least that's not true. Humble Bundle stats show MAC and Linux owners buying 1/3 - 1/2 of various bundles. The iOS version of King of Dragon Pass reportedly sold twice as many copies in 4 months as the original disk version did in 7 years (despite much lower price, better availability etc. it's still a damn shame the original sold so poorly, it's quite simply one of the best games ever made). The original has been available from GOG for a few weeks, it would be interesting to see if it outsells the iOS version. Somehow i doubt that.

Redlands

Arcane
For indie games at least that's not true. Humble Bundle stats show MAC and Linux owners buying 1/3 - 1/2 of various bundles. The iOS version of King of Dragon Pass reportedly sold twice as many copies in 4 months as the original disk version did in 7 years (despite much lower price, better availability etc. it's still a damn shame the original sold so poorly, it's quite simply one of the best games ever made). The original has been available from GOG for a few weeks, it would be interesting to see if it outsells the iOS version. Somehow i doubt that.

While I get what you're saying, your last example is bad because the iOS is a far more popular platform than GOG is so comparisons like that probably won't work too well on that basis alone.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Actually the Loki's CEO greed fucked up the Q3 Linux release, yeah the one that would have made Linux a main gaming platform, he stretched the Linux release date 2 weeks or so after the Windows one for some shitty boxes or somethin' thinking that 'oh well everyone would just wait for it'... guess what? they did not, so they ended up putting the exes up for the grabs so they had 5 Linux boxes sold yet 100000 Linux users playing (pirates or not)... holla... yeah, no wonder Linux games sell so bad since they don't bother to release them on the same timeframe as the Windows ones, yeah, Torchlight1 is great, bought it now for cheaps (well above the average Linux buyer that is) but wouldn't it been better for all of us to let me buy it on launch? WastelandZwei and Eternity get the full price from me... 'cause I can have them just like the rest. Look, I'm not special, I did not demand to be special, yet everyone thinks I'm special? fail

I stand corrected then, although almost everytime I've talked with linux- or mac-users they've come across pretty damn smug or then I've mostly met smug linux-/mac-users.

Gruia

Educated
@WL2 honestly i was surprized with the art. I expected to puke from the colors and shapes. Ofcourse its not where I want it..

As for the engine choice, I say simplify everything, and giveyourselves time to polish and make intricate systems from simplified things. So I like the choice from this point of view

Repressed Homosexual
It's a stupid engine, it's a mean to an end, and the graphics won't matter with 2D backdrops, only the content will. As always, the Codex finds another way to nitpick and cry.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I stand corrected then, although almost everytime I've talked with linux- or mac-users they've come across pretty damn smug or then I've mostly met smug linux-/mac-users.
Anyone who feels the the need to talk about what OS they use will come across as smug.

MCA
It's just that Unity has a ridiculously low signal to noise ratio because it is very flexible and easy to get results, attracting every no talent or inexperienced developer, and the sheeple being the sheeple, associate it with low quality web based shit (which has become another ridiculous trope) despite the facts that it gives you remarkable control over it and if you can cut a deal to get he source, it's a developer's dream come true.

And then we have resident morons like draco or whatever his name is who are talentless lazy hacks who have had a go at it expecting a "mkae me a gmae!" button and didn't get anything done and then go on bitching about incomprehensibly ridiculous shit like how it is imposssible to get a complex and responsive good interface in Unity and a few other hopeless unlearned who take their word as gospel.

Admittedly, pure 2D is where Unity is weakest but then again, once you go with 3D assets over 2D backdrops, that fact loses significance because the game will basically be a 3D game.

This is terrific news because they will be very likely to release mod tools and even if not, it will be a far easier affair for interested parties to hack the game, so to speak, to mod it unofficially.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ect-eternity-at-eurogamer.76157/#post-2271554
Since Cain says they already have an engine, Avellone said Onyx's middleware makes it too expensive as an option, and for the past few months Sawyer's been tweeting about how amazing Unity is when it comes to quickly iterating new concepts, I'm predicting Unity as the engine. Poor Knotanalt.
Aside from my epithets blunder I've been on a fucking roll for all things Eternity related. :smug:

Stinger

Arcane
I don't see the issue. My only reservation about WL2 using Unity was that the 3D landscapes had some fairly plain textures, the 3D character models were fine to me.

Eternity has 2D backgrounds, that pretty much ignores any real issue you might have with the game. Character models will look fine, it's an isometric perspective, you'll never see many details anyway.

Baron

Arcane
The appeal of Unity is largely due to the time and cost savings of the art assets store. Which means that if we build appropriate Codexian models and upload them to the asset store there is a 100% chance the cheapass kickstarting bastards will include it.

:mhd:

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
It's just that Unity has a ridiculously low signal to noise ratio because it is very flexible and easy to get results, attracting every no talent or inexperienced developer, and the sheeple being the sheeple, associate it with low quality web based shit (which has become another ridiculous trope) despite the facts that it gives you remarkable control over it and if you can cut a deal to get he source, it's a developer's dream come true.

And then we have resident morons like draco or whatever his name is who are talentless lazy hacks who have had a go at it expecting a "mkae me a gmae!" button and didn't get anything done and then go on bitching about incomprehensibly ridiculous shit like how it is imposssible to get a complex and responsive good interface in Unity and a few other hopeless unlearned who take their word as gospel.

Admittedly, pure 2D is where Unity is weakest but then again, once you go with 3D assets over 2D backdrops, that fact loses significance because the game will basically be a 3D game.

This is terrific news because they will be very likely to release mod tools and even if not, it will be a far easier affair for interested parties to hack the game, so to speak, to mod it unofficially.

This is surprisingly accurate.

From everything I've read and experienced, Unity give a whole lot for a very small cost. It's low cost makes it accessible to a lot of people so there will be a lot of noise.

Blaming Unity for poorly crafted Indie games makes about as much sense as blaming the Hammer for all the poorly constructed houses.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Let's assume for a moment the hammer in question simply isn't very good or is very limited.

Old soundchips were incredibly limited, yet somehow people were amazingly creative when they wrote music for them, so much so that videogame music still is my favorite after all those years. Lands of Lore is in 320x240 pixels and I still consider it one of the best-looking games I've ever played. Restrictions can often lead to more focused art. When one is restricted the most creativity and talent can truly shine.

Data4

Arcane
Every time I hear "That looks cartoony", my brain goes into "Alright, ignore this fucker" mode. The reason is because it usually comes from people who feel like all games should look like Game X, where Game X features a particular style that they like the most. Any style that differs is regarded as somehow inferior. A game could come out with the intent to look cartoony and this type of idiot would say "Don't like it. Too cartoony", and feel pretty good about themselves for being clever.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Every time I hear "That looks cartoony", my brain goes into "Alright, ignore this fucker" mode. The reason is because it usually comes from people who feel like all games should look like Game X, where Game X features a particular style that they like the most. Any style that differs is regarded as somehow inferior. A game could come out with the intent to look cartoony and this type of idiot would say "Don't like it. Too cartoony", and feel pretty good about themselves for being clever.
Cartoony has become the laziest complaint about graphics, and seemingly means whatever the accuser wants it to mean.

ironyuri

data4's post is a bit too catoony for my taste

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom