Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information XCOM: Enemy Unknown Has a Demo

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Firaxis Games; XCOM Enemy Unknown

Firaxis' XCOM Enemy Unknown, the upcoming (hold your breath) "real-time strategy turn-based tactics role-playing video game" and a reimagining of the classic XCOM, has a short demo available for you to download from the game's Steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/200510/

Now you can judge for yourself just how much of a monstrosity this "modernization" is, at least to the extent that the two demo missions will let you. You need a Steam account to download the demo, though.

The game releases on October 9, 2012 in North America and 12 October in Europe and Australia.

EDIT: If you can’t get the demo to download, restart Steam, go in through the "Demos" tab and access it from there. (Advice courtesy of a RPS reader.)

EG

Nullified
. . . is it glorious in its beastly nature?

Gord

Arcane
I appreciate that they offer a demo, but 5.5 GB for 2 missions? The fuck?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I appreciate that they offer a demo, but 5.5 GB for 2 missions? The fuck?
Even if it's only 2 missions, there are tons of assets going into it.
With my 1st world 1Gbit connection I downloaded and installed it within 5 mins anyway.

There's too much handholding. The tutorial mission is a snorefest. The second mission is too easy.
The minimalistic UI is stupid.
Other than that, it has potential.

Gord

Arcane
Too bad that I'm on a 1st world 6MBit connection still...

Will know more in 3-4 hours.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
From the Steam trailer you linked it looks like another custscene third person shooter. Will skip.

Desert Fish

Educated
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
All they had to do was to update the graphics and sound, and provide functionality to save the loadout for each soldier.

Instead, as expected, we get the usual modern trash.

Still, it's kind of impressive just how badly they managed to mess up a great formula. Not for a single moment did I feel the suspense of the original, despite the massively more crisp and detailed visuals.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You'd all better hope this game fails massively on the consoles.

It will be a disaster for the strategy genre if a strategy game ever sells successfully on consoles.

adure

Liturgist
thats no xcom!
it a freaking roland emmerich action movie!!

Allanon

Augur
Quite some things I didn't entirely liked, but above all the interface and the controls. Maybe it's something on my end, but I found them absolutely horrible. I pretty much had to fight the camera for simplest of things. It's impossible to judge the tactical and strategic parts of the game based on the demo missions, but it's already quite obvious this is a console game first and foremost.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Honestly, the demo consists of two VERY scripted tutorial maps. If that's any indication of the actual game, its even shittier than I could imagine.

And even if the gameplay of the actual game is insaly better, you can't escape that the ui is horrible and controls like ass. In a fucking strategy game. How the fuck can you mess up the controls in a turn based strategy game?

Achilles

Arcane
"The PC UI is completely different!", "The PC version is important to us!". Firaxis you fucking lying scumbags.

kris

Arcane
Tutorial mission = total shit = Could as well been a cut-scene.
All your actions is forced upon you in the first mission. As was the first two moves in the more free-play mission.
It was slightly better than the horror I expected, but still stupid and without the "tactical" part. It also looks stupid when your goons jump out of cover to take a shot and then jump back.
It is like some kind of arcade game based on the premise of moving between covers and shooting.

"The PC UI is completely different!", "The PC version is important to us!". Firaxis you fucking lying scumbags.

Yeah and then this part. My first impression posed the question "Is this made for consoles?". Apparently the answer was "yes". :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom