Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Update #35: October 2012 Q&A

Wizfall

Cipher
Those videos with Jordan Weisman and Mitch Gitelman are very cool.
I have much hope for shadorun Return.
I can't wait to play a spiritual improved successor to the snes shadowrun game which is going to be a bit less linear and much more tactical with TB combat.
The character creation/development will be much better too.
And icing on the cake : an editor :)

Raygun_elf

Educated
It's refreshing that the designer is very pragmatic on what can can't be achieved with a small-ish budget, also Weisman looks like he hasn't even slept so I guess that means they are all working hard.

Yeah bros, I listened through both whole interviews and both guys sound great, realistic, and cool. I like what I'm hearing from them. And have high hopes for this. Seems to me it will be pretty crpg-y. :incline:

Raygun_elf

Educated
Yeah bros, I listened through both whole interviews and both guys sound great, realistic, and cool. I like what I'm hearing from them. And have high hopes for this. Seems to me it will be pretty crpg-y. :incline:
My thoughts too, how they were explaining the game, it sounds like it will be basically be the Shadowun pen & paper RPG in a computerized form. How the text descriptions will basically be how a DM in a P&P session would explain things. Also the pre-order thing will be cool, I didn't even know what Kickstarter was when WL2 and this were running, but I still want to help them out.

My thoughts too, how they were explaining the game, it sounds like it will be basically be the Shadowun pen & paper RPG in a computerized form. How the text descriptions will basically be how a DM in a P&P session would explain things. Also the pre-order thing will be cool, I didn't even know what Kickstarter was when WL2 and this were running, but I still want to help them out.

Maybe some things will be missing, because of budget limitations, but still - :bounce:.

Yeah, you can already preorder W2, there are even different tiers, and they will put up their preorder page soon too.

Morkar Left

Yep, liked the interviews and that they aren't promising mana from heavan. Still butthurt about the ork legs...

Dexter

Arcane
Yep, like those guys, they would also likely be great as a comedy duo.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Again nice interview by Weisman and his buddy,as I said beforeI have high hopes for this game,these guys make regular good updates and seem to be working hard trying to do the best game they realisticaly can make with the money thay have.
They dont't have the star power or the publicity of Wasteland 2 or of Project Eternity but I believe it will be a much better game than we anticipated when their kickstarter started:incline:

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/store

You can still donate/preorder.

Yes they do, it's just the character models that need some serious work.

I'm okay with characters, as they said in the vid Jordan wanted metahuman races to look more monstrous, except for the motherfucking short legs. WHY??? :( They also said since they prefer that monstrous look, they will give different options in the modding tools so when others make their own campaigns they won't have to use these models. Don't know about the short legs though...

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Still not digging the 'stylized' art approach after their explanations about it, but the soundtrack and gameplay still sound great :incline:

Livonya

Augur
Patron
Damn, this video is pretty awesome. I hope it gets finished.

I am reminded of all the amazing things I heard about TOEE only to discover that all these ideas and ambitions were only partially completed.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron

I am reminded of all the amazing things I heard about TOEE only to discover that all these ideas and ambitions were only partially completed.

I too remember my expectations for TOEE and with regards to things like dialogue I was soo disappointed.
However, there's so much of the good combat that it almost makes up for the letdown.
And it didn't stop me from playing the hell out of the game either. Or buying Troika's next and final piece.
Try as I might to temper my expectations, I cannot help but feel tremendous enthusiasm for this project.

Livonya

Augur
Patron

I too remember my expectations for TOEE and with regards to things like dialogue I was soo disappointed.
However, there's so much of the good combat that it almost makes up for the letdown.
And it didn't stop me from playing the hell out of the game either. Or buying Troika's next and final piece.
Try as I might to temper my expectations, I cannot help but feel tremendous enthusiasm for this project.

I agree with you for the most part. I actually didn't think the dialogue was that bad. I could live with it. That was never my beef with the game.

My main problem was that so many features/spells were simply not working. A lot of the higher level spells don't work. A lot of the most basic game play features were broken. Stuff that couldn't be fixed via modding and those things annoy me.

The game was simply pushed out of production before it was done.

The number one thing I worry about with game production these days is the game getting released before it is finished. Number one thing.

The time line for Shadowrun Returns and Wasteland 2 is too short. I worry that they will either run out of money or be forced to rush some half finish shit out the door due to the very ambitiously short time line.

I am still angry about ToEE. Not angry at the design of the game, but angry at the economic model that allowed what could have been my dream game to be released in such a half finished state. All that wasted potential makes by blood boil.

ToEE was rushed because the one failure that Troika made was thinking and negotiating with a publisher for such a short production time.

Does Kickstarter solve that problem or just magnify it? Right now Shadowrun Returns, Wasteland 2, and Chaos Chronicles all sound wonderful. I just pray all three of these projects are finished, even if finishing them ends up taking 6 months or even a year longer than they had planned for. And what will these production teams do if they under budgeted their time? I hope that in ten years I am not complaining about the wasted potential of these games.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I don't think it's as bad as that.
Shadowrun team doesn't have an ambitious project.
They want to make a shadowrun game that's about the length of a standard campaign (whatever that is) and release some great tools for people to create their own missions.
That's not that resource intensive as it sounds I don't think.
They also haven't stated a release time because they made so much more than they thought they would they decided to expand the game a bit.
Project Eternity on the other hand, I'm not so sure of.
I think they'll do OK tho.
The one thing that really, really pissed me off completely in TOEE was the barbarian class.
You have to modify DLL's in order to even add stuff to classes, so CO8 has only been able to do a little since their dll cracker left.
That pisses me off that barbarian doesn't have greater rage or tireless rage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom