Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Oblivion preview at VGL

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

<a href=http://www.videogameslife.com>VGL</a> has posted a <a href=http://www.videogameslife.com/previews/preview.asp?id=356>preview</a> of <a href=http://www.theelderscrolls.com/home/home.htm>Oblivion</a>. There is nothing special about the preview other than expected errors and inconsistencies, but the readers' comments are very entertaining:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The Elder scrolls series is one of the most established RPG names out there, with the first game being released in 1994 on the PC. The series is still going strong, and the games have always been at the forefront of pushing technology and attempting to <s>raise</s> lower the bar in terms of what an RPG game should be about and what the player can do in it.</blockquote>
<br>
Fixed!
<br>
<blockquote>This article sucked! I was never bored with the vastness of Morrowind.
<br>
<br>
My only hope is that bethesda keeps making games like morrowind, to satisfy the true gamers, rather than the graphic junkies.
<br>
<br>
this is going to be the greatest game of all time.
<br>
<br>
Bad Article lots of blah, nothing new or exciting, it doesn't do the game any justice. If your interested in learning more about the new game instead of this guys opinion on morrowind hit up Gamespot or Gamespy, read how the lady starts her dog on fire and maybe you'll get as pumped for the game as I am.</blockquote>
<br>
That's hilarious! See what happens when you target the lowest common denominator? "Oblivion is awesome! You can like set your dog on fire and do stuff!"
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Dot</A>

corvax

Augur
I'm not sure if this is all about targeting to the LCD. It shows that stupid people continue to play video games. The same probably played Fallout and said: "Yo you can like drink and do drugs and get a hooker"

Vault Dweller

Developer
Well, for some reasons MW attracted way too many stupid people than Fallout or more intelligent games ever did. Besides, let's take a look at the features Beth focuses on in previews: that dog on fire thing, is it really an attractive feature for true RPG players? Who gives a fuck about that? So, NPCs have some routine, it's nice, but it's a minor feature, the icing that doesn't work without a cake. Or that new magic system feature http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7784.

If all they show is some dumb shit, is it any wonder that it attracts dumb people?

roguefrog

Liturgist
A lot of the stupid people came from Elder Scrolls break into the console market. Lots of kiddies in there.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
What if I want to roleplay a pyromaniac, huh? FALLOUT DOESN'T LET YOU PLAY A PYROMANIAC, THEREFORE IT'S NOT AN RPG, LOLZ

corvax

Augur
That dumb shit unfortunately is what's attention catching to the general public. It's been that way for the longest. Look at the back of your Fallout 2 box "Fall in love, get married and then pimp your spouse etc." That worked when I was 16 or so but now I would show the same reservations you're showing about Oblivion.

Sarvis

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
What option? To sit and watch NPCs doing stuff?

Lighting the dog on fire... sure, maybe it's an option you wouldn't like, but it's still an option. It signifies that they are attempting to give the player more freedom to do what they want, and you're sitting here bitching about that.

Vault Dweller

Developer
As you may know, Fallout 2 doesn't get the same love as Fallout 1 does around here. Agree with your comment though.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Sarvis said:
Vault Dweller said:
What option? To sit and watch NPCs doing stuff?

Lighting the dog on fire... sure, maybe it's an option you wouldn't like, but it's still an option. It signifies that they are attempting to give the player more freedom to do what they want, and you're sitting here bitching about that.
I'm not bitching about it, I'm pointing that what Beth shows people aint the smartest or very interesting stuff. I'm pretty sure that the new ai system is capable for way more than that, just like I hope that the magic system is more interesting that "fight&cast"(TM)

Gwendo

Augur
Oh, please. Don't post these kind of news. It just makes me want to spank those stupid kids. (Note: spank in a educative and strci manner, not in the pervert way, mind you.)

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sarvis said:
Bullshit. All she does is cast an offensive spell on it, that isn't a very special option. I guess there were no dogs in Morrowind, so the big innovation here is: Putting dogs into the game. AWESOME!

PS: And what VD said goes without saying.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
The odds of this thread reaching reaching page 12 have just dramatically increased.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
You could put dogs on fire in FOs with your flamethrower (if I remember the death animations correctly). You could also shoot them into pieces. If I'm denied the option of shooting dogs into pieces in Oblivion, then I'll hate the game because it deprives me of the option to shoot animals into pieces.

I'll hate it although that would be the most pointless feature the game could have. Just like setting the dog on fire.

I'd also like to point out that Sarvis is a pretentious moron, but I won't do it because he'd go on yet another rant then.

Pegultagol

Erudite
i would rather have them questioning for more in depth accounts and information about the most important features first...that article doesn't have anything that has not been divulged in other articles before. i am pretty excited about the game, and that rather freakish dog on fire tidbit seems just a very minute part of what radiant ai can be capable of...i want to know what it can possibly do, or won't do.

bryce777

Erudite
PrzeSzkoda said:
You could put dogs on fire in FOs with your flamethrower (if I remember the death animations correctly). You could also shoot them into pieces. If I'm denied the option of shooting dogs into pieces in Oblivion, then I'll hate the game because it deprives me of the option to shoot animals into pieces.

I'll hate it although that would be the most pointless feature the game could have. Just like setting the dog on fire.

I'd also like to point out that Sarvis is a pretentious moron, but I won't do it because he'd go on yet another rant then.

You're built too low to the ground, son. The fast ones go right over your head.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
If I can't throw rats at the cliffracers, this won't be an rpg. THERE CAN BE NO ROLEPLAYING IN A CRPG!!!11

Zufuriin

Scholar
Is it possible that all of the advertisements/hype/announcements thus so far have been directed to the mainstream, yet what has not been revealed could potentially be the framework of a decent RPG?

I just blew my mind...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom