Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview GameSpy looks at Hammer & Sickle

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Hammer & Sickle; Nival Interactive

<a href=http://www.gamespy.com>GameSpy</a> has posted a <a href=http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/hammer-sickle/637033p1.html>preview</a> of <a href=http://www.nival.com/hs/>Hammer & Sickle</a>:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>There's a big element of time involved in the game. Everything you do in the game takes time and the clock never stops ticking. The truck carrying the explosives would be held up at a bridge for about three hours. If I didn't get there in time or failed in the mission, the explosives would reach France and the SS man and my party member would become my enemies -- which would mean another mission to take them out. Of course, I could have just taken on every bandit in his camp and killed them all, which might have presented its own problems when the gangster who ran the area demanded I make up for the revenue shortfall.
<br>
<br>
All these strategic decisions have a profound impact on the way the game is played -- even on a tactical level. There's still plenty of combat, but while in a war I might think nothing of taking down a house to wipe out a squad of troopers, now everything I was doing had consequences. I simply couldn't destroy everything I came across because it might have drastic consequences down the road. Kill the wrong NPC and suddenly a source of weapons or information is no longer available. Destroy a house belonging to the English Ambassador and all of a sudden the polizei presence on the street gets amped up considerably -- not a good thing for a spy who eventually wants to come in out of the cold.</blockquote>Sounds cool. I hope they won't butcher the translation completely.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>kumquatq3</b>

Whipporowill

Erudite
It certainly sounds like the right direction to take the SS experience - although, weren't H&S started as a mod, and the mod team got hired as a Nival Studio South or something? Did I dream that?

Oh, and I want Evil Islands 2!

dunduks

Liturgist
I just bought the game, gonna try it out over the weekend, let's see how good it really is.

Whipporowill said:
although, weren't H&S started as a mod, and the mod team got hired as a Nival Studio South or something? Did I dream that?
Nope, you didn't dream that, that's how it happened.

deadlus

Novice
What? It's been released already?

Btw.

<a href=http://www.gamespy.com>GameSpy</a> has posted a <a href=http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/hammer-sickle/637033p1.html>preview</a> of <a href=http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7725>Hammer & Sickle</a>:
H&S link is borked. Kind of.

Ivy Mike

Scholar
It certainly sounds like the right direction to take the SS experience - although, weren't H&S started as a mod, and the mod team got hired as a Nival Studio South or something? Did I dream that?

Yes it did. Apparently Nival thought so much of the original modders work that they decided to turn the whole thing into a stand-alone game.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Ivy Mike said:

Yes it did. Apparently Nival thought so much of the original modders work that they decided to turn the whole thing into a stand-alone game.

Or they got a brand new game dirt cheap? ;)

Either way, if it's good we'll all benefit - and Nival might get some help with their lackluster rpg components in future games.

Shevek

Arcane
This thing is looking pretty slick. Im surprised it started out as a mod and was still able to raise eyebrows of the mainstream press at gamespy.

dunduks

Liturgist
Well, here's my first impressions with the game (just got through the first couple of missions).
Since it uses SS engine you know how it looks and plays.
Combat is good and more difficult compared to SS, so you'll be dying a lot (at least I did :)). Dialogs are there, sort of, most of it is scripted, however on key points you can choose your response. The voiceovers and writing are good. So far I've noticed that you indeed have consiquences to your actions, but since I'm not that far in the game, I think it's too early to judge it completely.

Balor

Arcane
Well, depends on your play style and difficulty setting.
If you'll disable enemies hiding and tune down their damage, it's quite easy, I guess... I"ve played on a 'hard' setting, and liked it, though, so dunno.

dunduks

Liturgist
Balor said:
Well, depends on your play style and difficulty setting.
If you'll disable enemies hiding and tune down their damage, it's quite easy, I guess... I"ve played on a 'hard' setting, and liked it, though, so dunno.
Well, I'm playing on normal and enjoying the combat very much, I like my games to be challenging.

Balor

Arcane
Well, I like my games to be 'very' challenging, so I played on hard and, indeed, died a lot :).
But you can escape most (if not all) fights, btw.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom