Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Kickstarter Roundup: Akaneiro, Dreadline, Radio the Universe, and Tunnels & Trolls

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Akaneiro: Demon Hunters; Dreadline; Kickstarter; Radio the Universe; Tunnels & Trolls

There are three new action RPG Kickstarter projects currently underway, so I'm going to cover them in one newspost. First comes the real-time party-based ARPG Dreadline from ex-Freedom Force 2 devs, which has you play as monsters and screw stuff up in various ways. We even did a brief interview about it back when it was first announced - and now it has ended up on Kickstarter, with the goal of $167,000:

In 10 seconds, the RMS Titanic will hit an iceberg, killing over 2/3rds of the passengers... AND THAT'S THE GOOD NEWS!

Dreadline is a high intensity, single player, action role playing/real time strategy mashup. You control an unlikely and eclectic group of monsters killing the doomed during historically-inspired catastrophes.​

Next, from American McGee and Spicy Horse, both involved in the recent Alice games, comes Akaneiro: Demon Hunters, a weirdly sounding "free to play action RPG" inspired by the Red Riding Hood tale. Have a look at the Kickstarter here. Despite being free to play, the devs, as always, assure us it won't be pay-to-win, and that it will be single player (I think) but with co-op multiplayer (of course).

Veteran game designer American McGee (Quake, Alice, Grimm) and Spicy Horse (Alice: Madness Returns) are set on delivering players a uniquely enthralling free to play action role-playing experience.

Akaneiro: Demon Hunters will transport you to a world realized in a striking visual style inspired by Japanese ink, watercolor and woodblock illustration. We’ve dug deep into the history and folklore of Japan when designing our scenarios and characters. Mixing this foundation with an original mythology inspired by Red Riding Hood yields a fantastic and inspiring setting for players to explore.

[...] Our intended free to play model allows players to purchase our game currency (Karma). Karma is also earned constantly through regular play, so the option to pay is there for those that have less time to invest in daily play. There is no energy system. No hidden subscription, no paying for power.

We will never apply prohibitive costs to core gameplay content or character progression. Nothing will be off limits to non-paying players.​

And finally, there's a nice little Zelda-like called Radio the Universe, which has already doubled its humble funding goal of $12,000 and still has 19 days to go. Check it out if you like that kind of gameplay; the author insists it's going to be really really challenging.

I blended classic Zelda and dark science fiction and drank the ensuing mixture. It was Radio the Universe.

Players will feel aesthetic and gameplay influences from titles like Yume Nikki, Symphony of the Night, Hotline Miami, and Dark Souls, with a tinge of 2D JRPGs thrown into the mix.

RtU is a challenging and atmospheric sci-fi game with SNES-style visuals and a sinister, offbeat narrative.​

Also, even though we do not normally count P&P RPGs, I would really like to plug Deluxe Tunnels & Trolls here, the ultimate edition of Ken St. Andre's pen and paper game, which also has Liz Danforth and other original T&T people on board. Seriously, check it out if you're into P&P. $14 gets you a pdf and $28 a softcover, and it's already more than halfway to being funded.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Was excited when I heard McGee and Spicy Horse are doing a new game, but then... it looks like it's yet another Diablo clone.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yes, but it was enjoyable because it tries to include some new fresh elements into the genre.

I also enjoyed Torchlight 2 a lot and I'm looking forward to Path of Exile, but yet another Diablo clone? You can only have so many Diablo clones until they start to become boring.

ColCol

Arcane
I thought I remember reading an interview about Dreadline where the developers said it was barely even going to be an rpg.

ColCol

Arcane
Also, I'm seeing (what feels like) a new habit of games I find interesting showing up on a bunch of game news sites with the implication that they will be getting published....but then I see them (obnoxiously) show up on kick starter.

mondblut

Arcane
Also, even though we do not normally count P&P RPGs...

Fuck. I clicked this thread thinking someone had audacity to try remaking the glorious Crusaders of Khazan. Instead I am reading of another 3 arpg abominations and a pen and paper book. :roll:

How about we announce a one year moratorium on kickstarter news?

ColCol

Arcane
Also, even though we do not normally count P&P RPGs...

Fuck. I clicked this thread thinking someone had audacity to try remaking the glorious Crusaders of Khazan. Instead I am reading of another 3 arpg abominations and a pen and paper book. :roll:

How about we announce a one year moratorium on kickstarter news?

then we have what? One news update a month :troll:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
American McGee (is that really a name?) was dissapointing, al that for yet another Diablo clone, targeted at the "Mid-Hardcore audience", also available on Android... pfff...

Radio the Universe, on the other hand, looks very interesting. Dreadline is a big ?, and sadly I don't thing it's gonna make it...

In 10 seconds, an airplane will hit the world trade center, killing over 2/3rds of the people currently inside... AND THAT'S THE GOOD NEWS!​

Dreadline is a high intensity, single player, action role playing/real time strategy mashup. You control an unlikely and eclectic group of monsters killing the doomed during historically-inspired catastrophes.​

Just imagine how that would go down.

Dorateen

Arcane
Good to see the Tunnels and Trolls news. And yes, including it in this post was a bit of a tease, but what the hell. Maybe if they enjoy some success, it will lead to inspiration for a Crusaders of Khazan like cRPG.

At any rate, it's a fine excuse for someone to get back to certain Let's Play...

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
At any rate, it's a fine excuse for someone to get back to certain Let's Play...

I really want to. Crusaders of Khazan is awesome, and I hope to get back to the LP as soon as I have the time.

Radio the Universe, on the other hand, looks very interesting.

I agree, and I'm in for $10. The only thing that makes me angry is the backer-exclusive content at the $25 tier. I'm not paying $25 for a game like this (unless I know for sure it's going to be extremely awesome), and find the very idea of such content annoying and off-putting. In the end, only pirates will win.

Moribund

A droglike
Considering some of the dumb newsposts we get about guys who made a blog I think KS should be handled separately. If not the ARPG craps at least the Tunnels and Trolls one.

Shannow

Waster of Time
OOh, my action game was so shitty, not even suits that finance shitty action games exclusively would finance it. I know. Lets do a KS campaign. There aren't enough shitty action games going around...

Seeing the way Project Eternia is shaping up I've lost all interest in non-TB KS projects...
Ah well. More time to play Eador.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom