Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Matt Chat 181: Joel Billings (SSI) Interview

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Joel Billings; Matt Barton; Strategic Simulations, Inc.

Matt Barton has published the first part of his interview with Joel Billings, the founder and president of Strategic Simulations, Inc. In this video, Joel talks about wargames and the starting days of SSI:

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
a positive, or a negative thing that interviews with company presidents may now be conducted while they're sitting in their homes' living room?
'gimme a sec Matt, let me put something on, still wearing my pink boxers, this is business, appearances matter'

To polarise it a tad by giving an extreme, give me one Blizzard interview with 'fuck that loser' Wilson sitting in his sweat-stained comfy desk chair

4too

Arcane
What Did You Do In The Seventies?

Well, while I was stumbling through crunching school lab data on a typing terminal to the classic IBM reel to reel, and computer majors were printing Playboy center folds in ASCII 'shades' of black and white, Joel Billings was creating computer games.

Jaesun said:
When are they going to do a damn Kickstarter and make my Gold Box Games 2.0?

I would suppose from the interview, featuring the anecdotes about lost (Avalon Hill) and won (Gary Grigsby) opportunities,

that Joel Billings would listen to any timely proposal.

May be in the same position that Brian Fargo was before he got WASTELAND back from EA.

Still ...

How many AD&D Gold Box games are sourced from abandoned software sites and played on DosBox?

Can that be quantified to create a *lucrative* watering in the virtual marketing mouth.

*Lucrative* is a Pavlovian buzz word in many sapient business species. ;)

But ...

Is the AD&D license a lure or a liability?

Avalon Hill's 'Bismark' board game was a favorite, easier to learn and finish (before sundown) then 'Afrika Korps' and 'Stalingrad'.

Interesting that Billings may have been inspired by and built on these game mechanics, for his first computer game, while the experts at AH were 'dumb-ing' their titles down to appeal to a larger demographic.

Back then maybe the relationship of “by gamers, for gamers” meant success.

4too

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
P. cool. I'm always jealous of people that get introduced to board games and stuff by their parents.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands in the Dungeon Craft engine would be pretty fucking sweet.

The only problem with a new Dark Sun game means that WotC/HASBRO are involved and make demands of the game to the developer (i.e. Yet Another Shitty Action Game with Little or No cRPG elements labeled as a cRPG #8763598465934753). bleh

EG

Nullified
I demand more War Wind.

And with that, I'll show myself out before someone hurts me. :oops:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands in the Dungeon Craft engine would be pretty fucking sweet.

The only problem with a new Dark Sun game means that WotC/HASBRO are involved and make demands of the game to the developer (i.e. Yet Another Shitty Action Game with Little or No cRPG elements labeled as a cRPG #8763598465934753). bleh
What if you just called it Black Star and used Pathfinder?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

What if you just called it Black Star and used Pathfinder?

Well then get to that and get that KS going then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom