Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

7th saga - The best jrpg that I ever played.

somerandomdude

Learned
I am begging anyone who plays this game to download the hack that takes away the bullshit XP penalty, at the least. Fantastic game otherwise though I agree
Cryomancer Read this if you are unaware, the US release had the XP and level up bonuses drastically cut. It's not too bad at the beginning but the game hits a wall when you really start to fall behind and can't ever catch up.

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/264/

I beat this game on an actual SNES as a kid with the penalties and I wouldn't wish that experience on anyone.

I tried this with the patch, using the rom patcher in the link, and I get the exact same stat bonuses at level up as I do in the original version, so what exactly does this do?

Level 5 Lux, patched (top) vs unpatched (bottom). He's actually got 3 more in guard in the unpatched version.

Did I somehow install the patch incorrectly, if so then I'm gonna need better instructions than just drop the rom and patch in here and clicking "apply patch" : https://www.romhacking.net/patch/

almostnodifference.jpg

Last edited:

Poseidon00

Arcane
I am begging anyone who plays this game to download the hack that takes away the bullshit XP penalty, at the least. Fantastic game otherwise though I agree
Cryomancer Read this if you are unaware, the US release had the XP and level up bonuses drastically cut. It's not too bad at the beginning but the game hits a wall when you really start to fall behind and can't ever catch up.

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/264/

I beat this game on an actual SNES as a kid with the penalties and I wouldn't wish that experience on anyone.

I tried this with the patch, using the rom patcher in the link, and I get the exact same stat bonuses at level up as I do in the original version, so what exactly does this do?

Level 5 Lux, patched (top) vs unpatched (bottom). He's actually got 3 more in guard in the unpatched version.

Did I somehow install the patch incorrectly, if so then I'm gonna need better instructions than just drop the rom and patch in here and clicking "apply patch" : https://www.romhacking.net/patch/

almostnodifference.jpg

You likely patched it incorrectly somehow because stats should be noticeably higher, about 1-2 on average per level, across the board for most characters.

somerandomdude

Learned
I recently patched DQ3 (SNES) using the exact same method, and I know for sure that one works.

somerandomdude

Learned
It could be having a ROM with a header vs not needing one with a header.

The version I have is actually called something like "Elnard Balance restoration" and I don't see it on Romhacking anymore, so I'm not positive what the best patch to use is.
The instructions called for a headerless rom, which is what I used. If you try to patch a headered rom, the patcher will give you some sort of error, which happened to be before.

It might be possible the rom I got was already patched, and it just didn't say so, in which case I'd like to know what the stat gains spread on level ups are supposed to be because I typically got anywhere between 2-5 in stats on level ups. Stat spreads like 4-4-3-4 with 6 or 7 in HP were pretty average on Lux levels 1 through 5.

Poseidon00

Arcane

The version I have is actually called something like "Elnard Balance restoration" and I don't see it on Romhacking anymore, so I'm not positive what the best patch to use is.
The instructions called for a headerless rom, which is what I used. If you try to patch a headered rom, the patcher will give you some sort of error, which happened to be before.

It might be possible the rom I got was already patched, and it just didn't say so, in which case I'd like to know what the stat gains spread on level ups are supposed to be because I typically got anywhere between 2-5 in stats on level ups. Stat spreads like 4-4-3-4 with 6 or 7 in HP were pretty average on Lux levels 1 through 5.

Those stat spreads look like the patched version to me. Try taking down the first boss in one try and then we'll know for sure

somerandomdude

Learned

Those stat spreads look like the patched version to me. Try taking down the first boss in one try and then we'll know for sure

The main reason why I have my doubts as to whether it's the patched version, was because I got my dwarf to the 3rd city, or the first one where you could interact with the other characters, and the knight guy challenged me to a duel, and my attacks hit him for 1 damage, and he 2 shot me. I thought the patch was supposed to scale these guys to my level? Doing 1 damage and getting 1 or 2 shot is how I remember duels going down in the original.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom