Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Torment 2 Interview with Brian Fargo, Colin McComb and Kevin Saunders at Dagon's Lair

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Brian Fargo; Colin McComb; InXile Entertainment; Kevin Saunders; Torment: Tides of Numenera

French website Dagon's Lair has published a short interview with Brian Fargo, Colin McComb and Kevin Saunders about their soon-to-be-kickstarted spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment, Torment: Tides of Numenera. Have an excerpt:

Technically, what are your plans about the game engine ? Will you use an isometric 3D overall view like the first game or what looks like to be in Wasteland 2 ?

(Kevin)
Unity has worked out very well for us on Wasteland 2 and we will use it for Torment, leveraging both our experience and some of our work. We are still exploring our approach for the environments and view for Torment. Aaron Meyers, who was an artist on Planescape: Torment and many years of experience as an art lead is helping us to develop the look.

What are your plans for the game focus ? More open world ? More dialogues oriented ? Story driven like Planescape ? Linear or multiple way to complete the game ? Open-ended game world ? Can you elaborate a bit ?

(Kevin)
Torment will be a story-driven game like Planescape: Torment was. There will be multiple possible conclusions, optional areas and quests, and an emphasis on reactivity to player decisions, but it won’t be an open world.

Any words you like to add about Torment ?

(Brian)
Some have been curious about the title. The “Tides” are part of a choices and consequences system that Colin, Kevin, and particularly Adam Heine have been designing for Torment. Adam was a scripter on PS:T and we were fortunate to bring him aboard the team, too. Kevin has said this about the Tides: “They could be loosely compared to D&D’s alignments or Ultima IV’s principles and virtues. But unlike alignments, they are not in direct opposition to each other and unlike the virtues, you won’t necessarily want to achieve them all. Nor can you, really… you’ll have to decide what’s most important to you.

The Tides are more nuanced and complex, with the “best” choice for any situation being a personal decision for you (or how you want to play) rather than a decision that we as designers judge. Now, NPCs in the game will certainly judge you based upon their own beliefs and agendas, but we will strive for the game itself to be impartial. We want to provide satisfying reactivity and allow you to explore your own answers, for you to play as you wish and have the game’s story unfold accordingly. We’ll talk more about the Tides down the road and there are aspects of the system for which we’ll be seeking backer input.

The Tides are a good example of a way in which we are deviating from PS:T while being true to its legacy and also how we are injecting the Torment philosophy, as you mentioned, into the Numenera setting.​

You can read the full interview here, in French and in English.

hiver

We have several great concept artists involved, including Nils Hamm, Andree Wallin, Chang Yuan, and Dana Knutson, who was the primary concept artist of the Planescape setting.

Awesome art overload!!!

(Colin)
The way we see it, Torment is a specific thematic story style, not necessarily tied to a particular setting. It is an intensely personal story, not an epic – but every story feels like an epic to the person living it, and we will bring a story of struggle, tragedy, and potential redemption. The Numenera setting is a natural, perhaps even inevitable choice for the kind of story we want to tell here, focusing as it does on mystery, abandonment, and secrets that may never be revealed.

:bro::love:

I also do like that angle of secrets that may never be revealed.

(Colin)
The story will be entirely different, though it will explore similar thematic elements. We’re not going to be doing *planes* per se, though we will see extra-dimensional travel and locations that are far removed from what we consider reality. The philosophical journey will be mirrored in a physical journey, and like Planescape, will feature locations that are nothing like we see in most fantasy role-playing games.

Right as it should be.
Extra dimensional travel and locations far removed from what we consider reality. :love:

Great to see so many original creators involved.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The way we see it, Torment is a specific thematic story style, not necessarily tied to a particular setting. It is an intensely personal story, not an epic – but every story feels like an epic to the person living it, and we will bring a story of struggle, tragedy, and potential redemption. The Numenera setting is a natural, perhaps even inevitable choice for the kind of story we want to tell here, focusing as it does on mystery, abandonment, and secrets that may never be revealed.

Fuck yes. They get the entire heart of what Planescape: Torment is. Will back the shit out of this.

hiver

A few examples of art by Nils Hamm

zJnetBq.jpg
yksQqoo.jpg
GL2mkSs.jpg

Not Numenera art but i wouldnt mind seeing any of these creatures is TToN.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Whenever the idea of a Torment sequel came up before, the Codex was up in arms (rightfully) about it. But now they are sucking Fargo's dick about it. What can change the nature of the Codex?

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Whenever the idea of a Torment sequel came up before, the Codex was up in arms (rightfully) about it. But now they are sucking Fargo's dick about it. What can change the nature of the Codex?

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but since i know that no one will be able to tinker with the original game and its characters, i'm all for it.

Kz3r0

Arcane
When you have become an utter moron?
First, this is not a sequel of the original story, what the Codex was so hostile to, second it' s made by people involved in the original game, not Bethesda and such.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Anthony Davis Who is that Travis Williams moron who talks stupid things about DLCs and prices under MCA's facebook post? He is the embodiment of retardo what's wrong with this industry.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Nah, MCA is a bro, he just accepts friend requests. Although I might have mentioned that I'm from the Codex too.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
This comes from the dumbass that sucks Obsidian's cock at every opportunity.

hiver

a story of struggle, tragedy, and potential redemption.
mystery, abandonment, and secrets that may never be revealed.

I wonder how they will wave this in in terms of our PC beginning.

Previously Kevin Saunders said "You’ll play a specific character, but that character is you more than you are that character. =) That is, you aren’t role-playing as a specific individual who already has a set personality- "
and "Because of the personal nature of Torment, we want the player, not just the PC, to be the one experiencing the story." - when talking about dialogue.

So... amnesia or something else this time around?

I wouldn't really mind starting as a blank state again.
It is an overused trope, but it all depends on how you implement it, in the end, or rather, a beginning.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Anthony Davis Who is that Travis Williams moron who talks stupid things about DLCs and prices under MCA's facebook post? He is the embodiment of retardo what's wrong with this industry.

He's a producer from Black Isle. He's not stupid at all, I just don't agree with him. Remember, he's a producer, he has the hard job of making sure stuff gets done, helping cross team communication, and keeping all those developer cats herded.

Production is a thankless job, Usually because Most producers aren't good at their job, but he seems to be in good company so he is probably cool.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Tess Treadwell was brilliant at her job. :love:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"It is an intensely personal story, not an epic"

By definition, PST is an epic story. Don't tell liez, don't spout bullshitz, and just share the truthz or FUCK OFF!!!

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
"Marketing blablabla buzzwords, paragraph what you want to hear, blablabla, buzzword"

I get excited once they show something.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Brian Fargo said:
Chris Avellone won’t be working on the project, but is very supportive of what we’re doing.
He won't be on the project because all his spare time in the foreseeable future will be consumed by LPing Arcanum. The Codex shot itself in the foot here.

hiver

Art by Chan Yuang

wrLO4y0.jpg
EZjw0E7.jpg

E1mBqcI.jpg
0uhX5lB.jpg

This last one is possibly a piece of Wasteland 2 concept or character art

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Jaesun "Unity has worked out very well for us on Wasteland 2 and we will use it for Torment"
Call me a retarded alt again man..please do :)
Let me refucking quote it, for your pleasure, immense and all-wet
"Unity has worked out very well for us on Wasteland 2 and we will use it for Torment"

en-fuckin-joy
oh, and you too Crooked Bee ^^

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
wat

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom