Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #24: Gameplay Video! Now in HD

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: InXile Entertainment; Wasteland 2

In a quick followup to last week's big Kickstarter update, inXile have uploaded an HD version of the Wasteland 2 gameplay video to Youtube, with a promise of more to come:

After about 190,000 views our original video was deleted by Vimeo. After two days of back and forth with them they apologized for the mistake and put it back up, but the link that went out with the last Kickstarter update is still broken.​

We have since posted the video to our YouTube account, and there it shall stay! If you have not already seen it, you can see it here: Wasteland 2 First Look

We have had a bunch of requests this week for an HD version and we are happy to comply. For the full 1080 HD version use this link: Wasteland 2 First Look HD

The response to the video has been amazing so far, and we have been busy taking in all the feedback. Our goal with the video was to show some game-play and some of the systems that we have working already. It was in no way meant to be a comprehensive explanation of all the elements of the game, the video would have to be 4 hours long to do all that. But judging by your feedback many of you want to see more and to know more about how things work.​

To that goal, we promise to continue to show our progress in both more videos and more blogs giving details about some of the game systems. Look for our next update with more information about the HUD, the camera system, and the dialog system next week. Thank you all for your continued support and enjoy the video in HD!​

Looks like they're well aware of the issues some people had with what they saw.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Heh, looks much better in HD. Duh. Guess they realized a mass of pixels and artifacts isn't how you show off something.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
oh god. they're attacking. they're killing us. they're breaking down the fucking door.

Who pays for these pseudo actors and their shitty performances? Have they ever heard how people usually speak when they're not reading off a sheet of paper? Has anyone actually heard a hysteric woman scream before?

I loathe voice acting because god-awful has become the norm.

ETA: Gameplay seems to be shaping up just fine. Think they could've taken a cue from Silent Storm in terms of UI and tactical options, though.

Micmu

Magister
Oh fuck no. Was pretty much expecting this shit.
It's the user-rotating camera all over again, and objects covering PCs do not become semi-transparent.
Rotation Playing Game fuck off, lazy bastards.

Harold

Arcane
inXile and Obsidian cannot into uploading a hd video on youtube on their first try, something thousands of yt uploaders have no problem with. Don't worry though, in future updates they'll even figure out the mysteries behind annotations... eventually.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
oh god. they're attacking. they're killing us. they're breaking down the fucking door.

Who pays for these pseudo actors and their shitty performances? Have they ever heard how people usually speak when they're not reading off a sheet of paper? Has anyone actually heard a hysteric woman scream before?

I loathe voice acting because god-awful has become the norm.
I thought the voice acting was fine. It can certainly be much worse.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Your senses are dulled by the poor quality of today's VA. Do me a favor, listen to it again, and try to picture anyone you've ever known who speaks with that kind of mechanical, lifeless tone and cadence.

Saduj

Arcane
Why is the rotating camera such a big deal for some? I could see it being a real pain in the ass if combat were real time but in a turn based game it shouldn't be bad unless the camera control sucks. It does have some advantages over fixed view with transparency, which is very annoying when implemented poorly.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
unless the camera control sucks.

It usually does. It's the nature of 3D cameras.

which is very annoying when implemented poorly.

Not quite as annoying as a shitty camera. Regardless, I want to play the game not be the camera man. Thus, the less camera movement required, the better.

Tel Prydain

Augur
Oh, good – bitching about the VA and camera. I’m so glad that we are talking about those again, because we sure didn’t spend pages talking about them in the last thread. Now, if only someone could finally step up to the plate and give us their opinion of the dialogue system.

Melcar

Arcane
The VA is fine, you fucktards.

Has anyone actually heard a hysteric woman scream before?

I have actually :bounce:.

The camera could be better, but it doesn't seem to be a deal breaker here. It could have been worse. Yes, they should make it so that we don't have to fiddlefuck with the camera, I agree with that. Hopefully they don't fuck over as time goes by. So far it looks like an alright game. Will pirate :thumbsup: .

Gregz

Arcane
It looks fucking great. :eek:

Many nice influences from Fallout 2, Wasteland, ToEE, and Jagged Alliance.

I love the ambush maneuver, turn-based, hex map, top-down vs. iso view option, cover/flanking strats, customizable UI, and general visual ambiance and environmental sound fonts. The dialogue stuff looks well done too. I hope they keep dialogues text only because some of the voice acting was a bit hammy, and that's a waste of their budget anyway. They need an all-party select key from the looks of it, although they probably have one that's just not used in the demo.

Overall I'm still very excited about this one! It's not just that this is a potentially great game with great lore, it's that they've been freed up to do what's right by the kickstarter model, and it appears they are making all the right decisions. This could silence the naysayers, and usher in an era of incline to PC gaming the likes of which we haven't seen since the 90s.

BobtheTree

Savant
Fuck me it looks good. I fear I'll love this far more than Project: Eternity.
Turn-based hex combat means I'm almost certain I'll love it more than Eternity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom