Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Enemy, a "Tactical Roguelike" Now on Kickstarter

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Enemy; Kickstarter; Roguelike

Tom Johnson writes in to inform us about the Kickstarter campaign he has launched for his retro "tactical roguelike" called Enemy. From what I have gathered, it's basically retro game characters + X-COM-like combat:

Summary
  • Characters, items, and environments are an eclectic mashup of many classic games
  • Everything is procedurally generated, including the storyline and final boss
  • Detailed turn-based combat system, inspired by the 1994 classic, X-Com
  • Realistic physics simulation allows for a rich variety of tactical options
  • Permanent death ensures that combat is always tense
Combat

Although the world you're in is strange, combat is highly detailed and feels real. Enemy has a turn based combat system inspired by the 1994 classic, X-Com. You'll devise strategies based around the unique set of abilities you've chosen for your team, and then execute them step-by-step, all while responding to counter-moves made by the enemy team. The game handles visibility realistically, ensuring that you see only what your characters see, so that you never know what might be lurking around the next corner. It models the stress of battle on your heroes, who can flee, freeze up, or panic if things start to go too wrong. You'll have to make tough decisions and sometimes sacrifice important teammates.

Everything in the game is destructible. If you damage the supports of a building in the middle of a fight, the whole structure can come crashing down on you. Inadvertently starting a small fire in the wrong place can lead to being caught in the middle of a massive inferno. Combat is dynamic and easily spirals out of control. Finally, Enemy is a roguelike, and therefore features permanent death of characters. There is no reloading: if one of your heroes dies, they are never coming back. Combat always has a lot riding on it, and it is always tense.​

Watch the video here. It has some gameplay footage.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
The past was never as retro as these retro games are looking. Or maybe I've grown up in a past before that past.
The looks feel a bit like a mix of Jagged Alliance and Minecraft. I don't know what to think of that. I know what
to think of Jagged Alliance. And the past. But not of that. Well, I know what to think of Jagged Alliance.
It's still what it used to be. The past... not so much.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Looks good but he isn't much of a salesman. Might actually not get the funding unless he gets the word out.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
retro (megaman, mario and link minecraft models thrown on my face. Nothing is more "retro" than simple 3D models of Nintendo characters)
tactical (you take turns. TURNS! You know it's tactical because you take turns)
roguelike (randomized maps and perma-death are perfect to disguise lack of depth)
"X-COM inspired" (name-dropping cult game with mainstream reboot means guaranteed funding)

Warning: Indie overload
Recommended course of action: Avoid like the plague

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The concept of an X-Com style game with minecraft level graphics to allow for highly transformable terrain is cool, but I'm completely turned off by the gimmicky retro video game characters.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Super Mario RPG + Minecraft + X-COM Final Fantasy Tactics.

Not a bad concept per se, but the execution does look wierd...

Studio Fawn

Studio Fawn
Developer
Looks like a cool game... but why minecraft style???

Also ~mini rant~ what is up with the entire "retro style" thing indies keep doing??? It is often not even retro... just some strange take on it (kind of like an american made anime by a company that doesn't watch anime ~_~) ~flips a table~

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Also ~mini rant~ what is up with the entire "retro style" thing indies keep doing??? It is often not even retro... just some strange take on it (kind of like an american made anime by a company that doesn't watch anime ~_~) ~flips a table~
Hipsters.

Severian Silk

Weird. Wonder if he'll get in trouble for including Mario, Link, etc. I wouldn't turn up my nose at X-COM-like combat, though.

Bulba

Learned
It looks like some lego crapland. never liked lego, so I'll pass.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
It looks like shit and it sounds like it will be shit.

MCA
It is already shit. They just need your help worth $15K for one final gentle push to land the turd where it belongs. That's what the remedy for constipation costs these days.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like the concept, I don't mind the graphics (although I would pefer a different style), but I have some doubts that one person can make a good game out of this.

SearchEngine

Learned
As much as I hate to jump on the Minecraft-hater bandwagon, but these graphics just scream of laziness and unwillingness to stand out. Even ADOM's gives a better impresstion than this game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom