Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #43: Godlikes and Animation

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Project Eternity

This week's Project Eternity Kickstarter Update by Art Director Rob Nesler was originally supposed to have presented the game's "Art Style document". Unfortunately, it is not quite ready, so instead we have a technical explanation of the game's animation rigging workflow by Technical Animator Antonio Govela, and some pretty concept art of the Planetouched Godlike race.

pe-godlike-head-concepts.jpg

Apparently, we can expect to see some animated examples "sometime in the not-too-distant future". Come on, Obsidian, if a tiny outfit like inXile can produce a preliminary gameplay video four months into development, then so can you.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Obsidian > inxile

inxile has made exactly ZERO good games.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Original stuff. Thank god for Kickstarter, they wouldn't be able to pull crazy stuff like this otherwise.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Thank god for Kickstarter, they wouldn't be able to pull crazy stuff like this otherwise.

The sad thing is that this statement is also correct if you interpret it non-sarcastically.

:lol:

I like FeelTheRads' sarcastic comment and your correct statement following it equally.

BROS, I AM TORN

Obsidian > inxile

inxile has made exactly ZERO good games.
What an interesting and informative view of the specific information in this particular update.
;)
Why are you replying to Volourn?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"What an interesting and informative view of the specific information in this particular update."

I was mocking the first post and the inxile blowjob that was given.

Maybe even inxile focused iona ctually making quality games over the eyars they wouldn't have time to focus on silly gameplay videos.

ColCol

Arcane
God, these look a little too much like plane touched . I was hoping just similar flavor, not cookie cutter crap.

Sannom

Augur
The first one doesn't look like so much like a D&D plane-touched, although the similarities with a Earth Genasi are there. She mixes vegetal and animal quite well in her design, what with the weird mossy and mushroom-y skin and the flowers. But where are those sparkles coming from?

The others are Genasi, definitely, but they're probably try-outs, it's all the same face with different elements around it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Apparently, we can expect to see some animated examples "sometime in the not-too-distant future". Come on, Obsidian, if a tiny outfit like inXile can produce a preliminary gameplay video four months into development, then so can you.
Um what

Are you referring to those fleeting seconds back when the art was unfinished? I'd rather not have something like that. And technically we already got something like it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Um what

Are you referring to those fleeting seconds back when the art was unfinished? I'd rather not have something like that. And technically we already got something like it.

It would be good enough to display some of this animation he's talking about.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer

Did you see the response to that? I think Obsidian has every reason to hold off a bit until it looks less like a WIP and more like a finished game, coz people don't really get WIPs. At least, not yet.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Did you see the response to that? I think Obsidian has every reason to hold off a bit until it looks less like a WIP and more like a finished game, coz people don't really get WIPs. At least, not yet.

Maybe, but I think a game with 2D backdrops has a better chance of not looking shitty at this stage.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Maybe, but I think a game with 2D backdrops has a better chance of not looking shitty at this stage.

Why? They're probably nowhere close to actually having finished 2D backdrops, more likely their backgrounds look even more WIP because their art process is longer. Or are you saying they should polish up one area for demonstration purposes?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Why? They're probably nowhere close to actually having finished 2D backdrops, more likely their backgrounds look even more WIP because their art process is longer. Or are you saying they should polish up one area for demonstration purposes?

Obsidian-reveal-first-screenshot-of-Project-Eternity-1092155.jpg

Just animate it and there you go. :smug:

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Just animate it and there you go. :smug:

That's a mockup. Animating it would give us a mockup .gif. Isn't the whole point to get a look at how it looks in-engine, built with their 3D mapping/building process and 2D painting, and their own shadows and effects? Then honestly, really, it probably doesn't look very good now. And what's more, how it looks now is probably even less representative of how well WL2's early representation did. So they are justified to be careful with it. IMO!

Why didn't they just post a screenshot from genasi character creation in NWN2? Then we wouldn't have to be looking at derpily smiling lobotomites.

The satyr bitch is OK.

Oesophagus

Arcane
God, these look a little too much like plane touched . I was hoping just similar flavor, not cookie cutter crap.

It's high fantasy, so not really surprised that there's overlap with DnD. It remains to be seen whether JS and MCA will actually subvert some fantasy tropes

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Why copy the plane touched design almost 1:1? PE is not BG3 with a made up D&D rule set, they should strive for some more originality.

MCA
Godlike:

pe-godlike-earth-fem.jpg

What the hell is this children's crap?

And noooooo...you can’t have a larger version. Google "estoc" if you want a sense of the weapon she's holding.

If the combat and armour system is tactical enough that there is place for an estoc in the game, then that is major fucking incline, but I don't trust Sawyer. It would still most likely end up being a flavour weapon.

But oh yes, I remember now: damage always goes through. So estoc or its equal will likely deal more damage to targets in armour and will be next to useless to targets not in armour (at least hopefully unless you do a critical). Will most likely turn out sort of retarded anyway. It's Sawyer and Obsidian, after all.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Poor Codex wanted originality in setting and traditionalism in mechanics. Got vice versa. :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom