Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #45: FATE (Unlock Code)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura; Chris Avellone; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

This week's Project Eternity Kickstarter update finally addresses the issue of what's going on with the game's "fulfillment system" backer portal, which is where you'll be able to tell Obsidian what add-ons you want for the extra money you pledged, among other things. Darren Monahan explains:

Q: So, what’s happening with the backer portal?
A: I’m personally busy putting together a whole new Project Eternity website, which includes our backer portal, RSS feeds (popular request!), as well as including information and artwork about the universe of Eternity. What we know about classes, races, the gods, and more, and this site will continue to evolve as more and more is designed and released.​

It is a big job though for just little ol’ me, so it’s still going to be a few weeks as I work everything out, but we’ll keep you in the know. Oh, and backer badges come with this system as well.​

The backer portal will also be a great resource for those of you in the upper tiers who are submitting item, character, or location designs. Speaking of which...!​

Q: When will I be able to start submitting my item, character, or location designs?
A: The guys have been talking quite a bit about this recently and have already started designing out the forms. Our current plan is to have those of you with those tiers be able to input them directly in our backer portal, and you can revise them at any time up to a certain point down the road (which we’ll let you all know – this point is when we would send out your text for translation, and it becomes expensive from this point to make edits.) But until then, start thinking about the concept for the thing you’d like to add! Adam will have an update on that in the coming weeks with more detail. We’d like to make sure there’s enough backstory and content available for you to draw connections from, and our new website will be the place for that.​

The update also reports on the continuation of Chris Avellone's Arcanum LP. The format of the LP has changed to shorter, higher resolution videos arranged into "seasons", with the original LP video reclassified as a "successful pilot". Here's the first part of "Season 0":

Finally, the update also gives a nice shoutout to inXile's Torment Kickstarter, which begins today. Obsidian and inXile, BFF!

St. Toxic

Arcane
His play-style confuses the shit out of me. Save-scumming through a challenge that you're creating for yourself for no apparent reason?

Zeriel

Arcane
Most game developers are fairly average to mediocre at actually playing games. Like Cyberarmy said, kind of has something to do with not having much time for actual said playing of games after work + social life.

St. Toxic

Arcane
I read this "hair-style" for nearly 10 times, and confused like mad :/ I need some sleep or good eye doctor...

Watching Arcanum LP -- confused by player's hairstyle.

Most game developers are fairly average to mediocre at actually playing games. Like Cyberarmy said, kind of has something to do with not having much time for actual said playing of games after work + social life.

This isn't being bad at playing the game. I mean, technically he's got the combat system down well enough for any challenge, and he's essentially using Virgil as his main combatant which makes perfect sense for a squishy. What he's done is created a shitty situation out of nothing, by putting character focus on one type of ability and gameplay focus on something else entirely -- it's like he's never played an rpg before. Meanwhile, the wolves don't actually pose any threat. Fair enough that he doesn't want to use world-map travel, for whatever immersion-related reason, to ignore the problem entirely and focus on speech-checks like he aught to, but there are plenty of options available for bypassing the wolves without engaging in combat which is the approach that makes the most sense for a weak girl and a jehova's witness convert.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Will be interesting to see how much of the backer suggestions they actually implement. Personally i would prefer they put the energy into releasing a competent editor much like Shadowrun.

4too

Arcane
"If You Lived Here You'd Be Home Now!"

Can't negotiate the learning curve, training dungeon ...! ? Wake me when he gets to Shrouded Hills. :)

Speculate that he can't go to Shrouded Hills on world map because ... not clicking precisly on the sweet spot.

Could back up to shrine and keep trying world map.

Video #3 showing signs of heroic determination, searching crash site, corpses, for anything helpful.

If keeps looking around crash site, may find cave and pick up the quest that adds another world map destination accessible to new character.

AND ...

may be a pride thing, if this let's play becomes a greek tragedy then call it hubris,

to be stuck in a combat environment and self righteously put that level 2 point on charisma, (It's MY way or the highway!),

and not on Herbology 101, healing salves, or more relevantly on Dodge, or MELEE.

Maybe create a Codex banner, MCA death count until reaches Shrouded Hills, or when he finally STARTS PLAYING THE GAME , and stops playing with himself. ;)

4too

Arkeus

Arcane
His play-style confuses the shit out of me. Save-scumming through a challenge that you're creating for yourself for no apparent reason?
He said that the world map isn't working because the way is block. Basically, the piss-poor UI makes him think the world map works in a different way that it does.

hiver

Maybe create a Codex banner, MCA death count until reaches Shrouded Hills, or when he finally STARTS PLAYING THE GAME , and stops playing with himself. ;)

4too
Hha`..!

On a tangent: I think its quite good to see a dev struggling to play and going through same difficulties and learning curves and smack downs as the rest of us mortals.

St. Toxic

Arcane
He said that the world map isn't working because the way is block. Basically, the piss-poor UI makes him think the world map works in a different way that it does.

Right, so when a player acts like a clueless moron and fails, then the game is at fault. Contemporary game design theory 101. Look at the vid, for Christ's sake, he's just clicking random buttons in the UI in the hope of doing something useful.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Makes sense. Especially if you're a narrative designer. They probably enjoy reading books more than playing through games in their free time.

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
I wonder if he will try to fight his way past the bridge in Shrouded Hills, then skip all the side stuff in Tarant and go straight for BMC. Season 6 - Fighting the golem, attempt 10.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
His Quixotic quest is amusing, but I do hope he figures out how to use the map soon so the actual game can proceed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom