Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #6: Meres, Castoff's Labyrinth and Brian Mitsoda!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Mitsoda; Colin McComb; InXile Entertainment; Kevin Saunders; Torment: Tides of Numenera

Today's Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter update begins with the second episode of Colin McComb's video series. This one has more details about the game's story and premise, and in particular its "body-hopping" mechanic. They're not quite spoilers, but the purists among you may want to avoid watching it. Here's the video and a summary:

Colin describes the Meres, which are the devices by which you’ll inhabit the bodies of other castoffs. You’ll learn about the Meres early in Torment and they will be one of the tools at your disposal to solve various situations – or simply to explore more of the world, your heritage, and the nature of the Tides. Many of the Meres will be optional content, and they are one of several ways in which the story is modular and reactive – which Meres are available to you at different points in the game will depend in part upon your choices.​

The update goes on to describe in further detail the 2.5 million dollar stretch goals that were recently achieved. The description of the "Castoff's Labyrinth" dungeon is particularly interesting:

Death in Torment will not be the same as “game over,” and there’s more to it this time than waking up in a mortuary. Your body is mostly immortal. Your consciousness, on the other hand, is a twisted place. When you die, your consciousness travels somewhere else, to a labyrinth of the mind.​

The Castoff’s Labyrinth is a strange realm, a dreamlike maze of jungles, stairways, tunnels, and ruined cities. It’s your mind, but you wouldn’t know it from all that’s in here (I mean, what the hell is that dead, tentacled thing the size of a mountain range?). When you die in the game, you could always just reload, or maybe find the easy way out of the maze and back to your body, but you’d be missing out – it’s our goal to make gameplay after death compelling enough that you won’t even think about reloading.​

The Castoff’s Labyrinth is a bizarre and interesting gameplay area, one of haunting exploration and discovery. As it grows, its secrets become deeper and more complex. Its depths are called Fathoms, and each brings new secrets and -- for the determined -- new rewards. What types of secrets and rewards? One will be lost cyphers: Each time you die, a new cypher (a single-use numenera) appears in the Labyrinth that you can take back with you. As the Labyrinth gets bigger, more of these random cyphers will become available the deeper you go. More types of secrets are attached to upcoming Stretch Goals, some of which are described below.​

For every 3000 backers beyond 45000, Castoff's Labyrinth will receive an additional level ("Fathom"). However, this dungeon won't exactly be about hack-and-slash, as you shall soon see.

The most exciting part of the update is the new 2.75 million dollar stretch goal. If that funding goal is reached, the veteran Black Isle, Troika and Obsidian designer Brian Mitsoda will be joining Torment's writing team, as requested by fans. I hope this doesn't interfere with Dead State too much, Brian!

Besides that, the new stretch goal will also add additional features to Castoff's Labyrinth. Here's the description:

At this Stretch Goal we will also add Reflections of Companions and NPCs to the Castoff’s Labyrinth. These Reflections have different dialog and information than their living counterparts, and you will learn secrets about them that would otherwise remain hidden. (But are these secrets really about them? Or are they about you?) The more Fathoms within the Labyrinth, the more Reflections there will be, and the deeper their dialogues become.​

Finally, we are adding another Castoff Labyrinth feature to the $3m Stretch Goal: Secret Meres. These Meres (dependent upon the Fathoms) are hidden within the Labyrinth and are accessible only from your own mind.​

Finally, the update also reports that a new Stretch Goals forum has been added to the Torment website, for suggesting additional stretch goals. Now that the pace of funding has slowed down, there are going to be a lot more of them.

likaq

Arcane
MITSODA MITSODA MITSODA MITSODA MITSODA

FUCK YEAH FUCK YEAH FUCK YEAH FUCK YEAH

:yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah:

zVezz5z.jpg

:love:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I hope there is options like in PS:T where you could ask people to kill you so you could get in the Mortuary.

hiver

Now, this is a very good update.

Liking all im reading in it. All these concepts, the Meres, the Labyrinth with all of its functionality and all the rest - all great.
But it does bring some questions.

Labyrinth seems almost too ambitious, with all of the fathoms and reflections of your companions...

But, when you take into account that we may "die" hundreds and hundreds of times... im not sure there can be that much content inside it.

Of course, since combat isnt the focus maybe there wont be that many chances to die... but on the other hand im pretty sure the players will kill themselves in order to get all of the content and cyphers from it.
(this makes me conclude that cyphers are something like glyphs or runes instead of something materialistic, of course)
And then you can also get secret Meres, which is a great concept on its own.

- You guys might want to consider limiting this in some way.

It seems in this game dying has only benefits.

Also...
I suppose there will be some kind of explanation why our body is practically... err... immortal, (as in you dont die of old age or sickness but can by killed, right?) - but.. doesnt that go against the "what one life matters?"

Pretty good ideas about new stretch goals, all around.

I suppose there will be some kind of explanation why our body is practically... err... immortal, (as in you dont die of old age or sickness but can by killed, right?) - but.. doesnt that go against the "what one life matters?"

I don't see why it would. What does your life matter even if you are immortal? Maybe being immortal doesn't matter? If anything it just gives us a new angle to ask the same question.
Good point.

Though it is much, much, much easier to make your life matter if you are immortal. Surely.
You do loose a sense of urgency - which was something very clearly communicated in PST.

Another thing is this dying business doesnt really fit with being immortal. - I mean...its all to easy and brings only benefits, which i pointed out already.

But keep in mind im not simply criticizing. Im asking for additional explanations and info so it all makes better sense.

(this makes me conclude that cyphers are something like glyphs or runes instead of something materialistic, of course)

Cyphers are one of the types of numenera in the Ninth World, described here.

So youre telling me Cyphers i will find in my mind are objects made of matter that i will get to take out of my head?

o_O

-edit-

Though it is much, much, much easier to make your life matter if you are immortal. Surely.
You do loose a sense of urgency - which was something very clearly communicated in PST.
Remember, you and your creator are being hunted.

I know. But other then mentioning that it hasnt been elaborated at all - which is of course not that strange this early in the project.
But sure, bigger direct danger from that end would serve as a sense of urgency booster.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I'm very butthurt about Brian Mitsoda. Release Dead State first ffs.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Don't think Mitsoda is all that stuff but that's neat for him and the people who like his writing. Working on all those cancelled projects must have been a pain.

Indranys

Savant
Boy oh boy, Biowhores will have a massive butthurt indeed.
TToN will allow players to truly make their way 'inside' the body of the loved ones while Bioware games never able to achieve such a intimate and personal experience. :smug:
And without the need to sexually abuse them too.

:thumbsup:

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Damn, I wanted to give my six votes for that, but you are allowed to use three votes maximum per thread.

KickAss

Augur
You know what would be totaly awesome? If the Strugatsky bros chould've written some part of the game. Too bad it's impossible.. :(

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Opposing idea - Leaving graphics out of stretch goals

I realize I already posted this but this seems to be the better place for it to go, plus I can word it better than "anti-idea" which sounds infinitely stupid and I embarrassed myself by typing it.

Anyway, the story should be the main focus of Torment, and they shouldn't be made to commit to a 2D style if more work is involved than creating the game in 3D. I loved the art of PS:T but the main draw is the story. If they have to take development time away from crafting the game and story to make it 2D then this simply should not happen.

:mob:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom