Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Torment Interview at GameBanshee

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Colin McComb; InXile Entertainment; Kevin Saunders; Torment: Tides of Numenera

There's an interview with Torment: Tides of Numenera leads Kevin Saunders and Colin McComb over at GameBanshee. I'll post the most Codex-critical bits:

GB: Choices with consequences is one the core pillars of Planescape: Torment, and you’ve made it clear that Tides of Numenera will be similar. Despite its focus on C&C, Planescape still told a very fixed story that didn’t change too dramatically; rather the consequences of actions were more in the smaller details. Are there plans for greater gameplay consequences in Tides of Numenera, or is the story going to remain similarly linear?

Colin: We do plan for great gameplay consequences. We want the story to be a logical, natural outgrowth of the actions you’ve taken throughout the game so that there is no “best” ending... or rather, that the best ending is every ending, because it’s the culmination of how you played.​

GB: Many consider the combat in Planescape: Torment to be one of its weaker elements; while not necessarily poor, it was hardly the highlight of the game. Has the decision for turn-based or real-time-with-pause combat been made yet? Is combat going to be tactical and complex, or are you more interested in infusing it with meaningful narrative context?

Colin: We haven’t made a final decision on the combat yet, but it’s one that we’re looking at very carefully. We want to get it right. We’re confident that our core vision for combat will help us do that, and to that end we’ve defined a number of must-haves for our combat system. First, it needs to be avoidable in at least most situations. We don’t want to force people into combat. Second, the player must be able to make meaningful decisions before combat: what to wear, what to equip, what to ready, and how to affect the environment so that it can work to their advantage as well. Third, players must be able to make meaningful decisions within combat, rather than clicking a mouse and letting it roll. We want the combat to be tactical, but we’re also well aware that too much complexity changes the focus of the game from the narrative to the combat, so we want to make sure that combat is connected to the narrative, rather than being a random encounter.​

GB: One thing RPGs have always struggled with is reconciling a player-directed story with defined gameplay mechanics. In Tides of Numenera, how much will stats and skills affect your ability to proceed in the story the way you want to? Will you be able to navigate the story however you want no matter what skills you have, or will certain branches and sub-plots be restricted to characters of certain skill sets?

Kevin: Skills are loosely defined in Numenera and it’s one of the aspects we’ll be tightening up for Torment. I’ve been impressed with many aspects of the Wasteland 2 skills system and think we’ll be able to leverage a lot of it well – basically what I mean by that is that the skills have interesting effects on gameplay and interacting both with people and the environment.​

GB: Obviously, Wasteland 2 lends itself rather well to 3D graphics and a fully-rotatable camera. The gulf in art and technology between Wasteland 2 and the original game means you can also get away with some creative license in interpreting that universe. But Planescape: Torment is well known for its fixed perspective and extremely detailed 3D pre-rendered backgrounds. Is the goal to go for entirely hand-drawn backgrounds, pre-rendered or full 3D with rotatable camera? How does this change the production and design for the game?

Kevin: We are still exploring the various options, considering gameplay implications, aesthetics, and, of course the resources that would be required. The decision will have many repercussions and we are still assessing. I can say that had we not received the tremendous support from the backers that we have that we wouldn’t have as many options here. Analyzing which method to improve the visuals of the game is a great problem to have. =)​

Stay tuned for our own Torment interview, which should be arriving sometime soon, I hope.

Lancehead

Liturgist
I'm expecting them to put up a P:E style mock-up screenshot (alongside the pre-rendered 3D stretch goal) in the last few days to drive the funding.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nice, informative interview, as expected of GameBanshee. Thankfully they include their content in the RSS feed or I wouldn't be able to read it while @ work (GB site is blocked). :salute:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nice, informative interview, as expected of GameBanshee. Thankfully they include their content in the RSS feed or I wouldn't be able to read it while @ work (GB site is blocked). :salute:

Yet you can read the Codex at work? :lol:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yet you can read the Codex at work? :lol:
Yeah, I know. It is awesome.
It worked when I started this job, then It wasn't available for some time, but not due to being classified as a gaming site, but as an "anonymous proxy" ( as opposed to RPGWatch and GameBanshee, for example). It was a really sad time for me, so I bought a smartphone to access the Codex anytime anywhere. Talk about desperation.
It was also at that time when I subscribed to GameBanshee RSS feed (through Google Reader) to keep in touch with RPG news. I only wish they weren't covering all those fucking MMOs.
But then, one day, all of a sudden Codex, wasn't blocked anymore. I almost cried manly tears of joy. ;)

hiver

Whats so bloody informative there?

there is zero new info in it and the questions couldnt be more banal and boring.

Objections! Leading the Witnesses!!! :x

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Whats so bloody informative there?

there is zero new info in it and the questions couldnt be more banal and boring.

Objections! Leading the Witnesses!!! :x
We had like 20-25 questions but had to cut it in about half and as such a lot of the more specific stuff (like details on companions and mechanics, factions, world details etc.) had to go.

Also, these guys are really busy right now, so shorter answers is kind of to be expected at this stage, and I have a feeling they probably have not even decided on many of the things we discussed. Either way they can only talk about what they have agreed to say yet.

hiver

sea
Yeah i know. That was a half joke there.
I post angry troll only when i want to be clear that im over-blowing reactions intentionally.

I know why they arent telling, stuff that they do know as well as stuff they actually havent decided upon, but its still annoying.
+ the update yesterday was horrible, except the video of course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom