Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #13: Animated Screenshot, Final Stretch Goals

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Colin McComb; InXile Entertainment; Kevin Saunders; Mark Morgan; Monte Cook; Torment: Tides of Numenera

With the end of the campaign in sight, today's Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter update has laid out all of the remaining stretch goals. There are also some new add-ons available, and the news that the game's release will be delayed. Last but not least,, there's also an animated version of the screenshot from yesterday's update. I'll go over these one by one, as usual.

I like kicking off my newsposts with a video, so I'll start with the animated screenshot:

I've been informed that the human figure in the video is the Cold Calculating Jack. Keep your eyes peeled for the creepy Stichus who sneaks in at around the 1:00 mark!

The campaign has reached 60,000 backers, thereby unlocking the sixth Fathom of Castoff's Labyrinth. In fact, due to this overwhelming success, inXile now have enough resources to spend a longer time developing the game. Accordingly, its release will be delayed a few months past the originally planned December 2014 date. More details about this will be provided later.

There are three new add-ons. The first two are a digital Torment sourcebook for the Numenera PnP setting by Monte Cook, for 12 dollars, and a digital comic by Pat Rothfuss telling a story related to one of the game's characters, for 8 dollars. These are "add-on exclusive", meaning they aren't included in any of the tiers. The third add-on is the hi-res digital concept art from the $50 tier, now available separately for 4 dollars.

Now for the stretch goals. First of all, with the addition of Pat Rothfuss to the team, a new retroactive stretch goal has been added at 3.4 million dollars. At that funding level, Pat will write a companion for the game. (It's not clear to me whether this is will be an entirely new companion or one of the planned eight, though I assume it's the latter.) The main attractions, however, are the new stretch goals, which go all the way up to 4.5 million.

At 3.6 million dollars, a new area will be added to the game - the Hall of Lingering Reflections, a Sensorium-like vault where frozen memories are stored. At 3.75 million dollars, companion depth will be increased, including new quests for each companion. In addition, portals will be added to Castoff's Labyrinth which take the player to hidden areas of the world.

At 4 million dollars, the number of Legacies will be increased from 11 to 16 - ten possible pairs, plus five for when one Tide dominates all others, plus one for when no Tides are dominant. This was apparently the developers' original vision for the game all along. This is also the stretch goal at which the game's second city, discussed in a previous update, will be added. More music by Mark Morgan will be added to the game as well.

At 4.25 million dollars, the game will grow even larger, with various ideas the team had being expanded into major subplots. A crafting system of sorts for numenera will be added to the game. This system will include puzzle-solving elements, "though not what you'd call a mini-game" according to the update. In addition, at this stretch goal, the game's journal will be expanded and given the prestigious name of The Voluminous Codex. It will contain more lore, creature and character portraits, etc.

Finally, at 4.5 million dollars, the game will expanded once more, with a particular emphasis on reactivity and the Tides. In addition, a player stronghold will be added to the game, though the update promises that it won't exactly be a place to "chillax".

Update: Something that wasn't mentioned in the Kickstarter update was the reveal of a new member of Torment's writing team - author Natalie Whipple. You can read about it on her blog.

Update 2: Torment's Facebook page has reached 10000 likes, thereby unlocking a seventh bonus Fathom.

Update 3: Colin McComb has posted an apology for his previous apology, though not without incident.

Update 4: A 1080p high definition version of the animated screenshot video has been uploaded to Youtube. I've embedded it above in place of the 720p version.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Want to see that 4 million dollar tier hit, and I think it's likely.

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
Yep. $4M is a must now. Companion quests and 16 legacies sounds great.

And I love that they went with 2D backgrounds. Looks much less bland than (what they've shown so far of) Wasteland 2.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
At 4.25 million dollars, the game will grow even larger, with various ideas the team had being expanded into major subplots. A crafting system of sorts for numenera will be added to the game. This system will include puzzle-solving elements, "though not what you'd call a mini-game" according to the update. In addition, at this stretch goal, the game's journal will be expanded and given the prestigious name of The Voluminous Codex. It will contain more lore, creature and character portraits, etc.

The last goal I want them to reach. Stronghold idea was stupid in PE, but is exponentially worse in Numenera.

Esquilax

Arcane
In addition, at this stretch goal, the game's journal will be expanded and given the prestigious name of The Voluminous Codex.

Prestigious, you say? :obviously:

These stretch goals actually seem pretty concrete, glad they've managed to put them together for the final push. I was tired of seeing "EVEN DEEPER STORY!!!" for every single stretch goal update, I found that a little irritating.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Surpassed Double Fine Adventure, for what it's worth.

And looks good. Glad to see InXile back in business. Interplay made made some serious mistakes in the early-mid 90's and once they got back in their game in the late 90's it was too late financially to recover.

KickAss

Augur
I'm pretty sure that most of the strech goals will happen no matter what. Unlike the 1st kickstarters, like S:R, where the planned game was really small before the stretch goals, i kinda suspect that the devs announce the game in parts to create an illusion of achevement to squeese money from the backers (nothing wrong with that). Specifically, I'm sure MCA will write a little for the game no matter what..

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Since voluminous codex was my proposition I sooo much want the project to hit that goal.
:hmmm:

On the other hand. Stronghold? A base? Oh jesus, why?

Monty

Arcane
Stronghold? A base? Oh jesus, why?
So one can pay taxes on it dear boy....

astronaught-richard-garriot-aka-lord-british.jpg

BobtheTree

Savant
I was a bit worried about the mix of 3D models on 2D backgrounds, but it actually looks quite nice. :thumbsup:

CMcC

Larian Studios
Developer
When all of this is over, I think you should tell ksaun what a great job he's done coordinating the various moving parts of this Kickstarter. Dude's an analytical, organizing machine.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Updated OP with the news they don't want you to hear. :smug:

Dhralei

Learned
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Well that looks much better. The scene looks awesome when animated:salute:

hiver

The pledging is looking good. Already surpassed yesterday limit.

Unwanted

bot

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Queued
Damn, those early tracks Morgan released definitely rub me the right way.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Derelict Space Ship/Ancient mobile tank fortress would be cool.... I need walls for my weapon collections and deep coffers for my loot. Stronghold as a House or Mannor or even Fortress not so much in game based about pursuit and inquisition. Where you have to be mobile whole time.

Derelict Space Ship/Ancient mobile tank fortress would be cool.... I need walls for my weapon collections and deep coffers for my loot. Stronghold as a House or Mannor or even Fortress not so much in game based about pursuit and inquisition. Where you have to be mobile whole time.

What about a pocket plane? Or a Pocket plane mobile tank fortress.

Since this is a extrange setting it could be something weird like some kind of inner world that moves with you or something.
If they go with something as mundane as an old castle I will be dissapointed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom