Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #13: Animated Screenshot, Final Stretch Goals

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I find it hard to believe the game will actually have a "crafting system". It won't be a "system". You'll just be able to craft some stuff.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Yes I wouldn't call crafting overpowered, just useless. Skyrim, Master difficulty, try leveling up to level 8 or so by crafting only. You'll have great gear for your level but no prowess to back it up, so level scaled dungeons will make short work of Joe Crafter with fancy gear but no skill, making crafting only useful on higher levels. I think that crafting in a game like this should be quest related, there's a master smith in the game, you bring him the pieces of a legendary item and loads of gold and he'll craft it for you. Crafting is a domestic profession that takes years to master, and quite silly for adventurers.

kaizoku

Arcane
Someone start a new thread for "Crafting is OPed" or "games with a good crafting system".

serch

Magister
Well, in a setting such as Numenera where discovering older technologies, using them in innovative ways and even learning how to replicate those devices seem to be a main theme, getting a crafting system should be ok. I suppose they could keep it balanced, even VD has put a crafting system in place, I don't see him conceding to power fantasies.

Liston

Augur
They should really put videos in their updates because judging by this thread noone is reading their updates, people just look at pictures and videos.

Also, I could imagine really cool crafting in the Numenera setting. There is all this old tech just laying around (I'm picturing). No one knows how most of it works. If you can figure out a couple things maybe you can get some things to interface with one another.

It seems like people are OK with that concept and it just so happens that it is exactly what they described:

The numenera may be beyond our understanding, but they aren't beyond our use. This Stretch Goal will allow you to learn the tricks to combining the numenera into your own custom cyphers and artifacts. This would not be a rote crafting system, but one that includes some puzzle-solving elements (though not what you'd call a mini-game) and that is tied into the world and narrative. This is yet another idea we started to explore early on for the game, but that felt out of scope for our original budget. But at this Stretch Goal, we can confidently commit to restoring this aspect of our design vision as well.

And here is an explanation of a stronghold for those of you that think that only way to design a stronghold is the way Bethesda does it:

In your struggle to find your legacy, there may come a time when you want someplace more permanent to call home (or perhaps not so permanent or not so much a home). At $4.5M, we will implement a player stronghold that you may come across in your journeys. The stronghold will be a playable area, a personal hub and base of operations, and it may come with its own quests or difficulties. What will it be exactly? We’ll explore further to see what makes the most sense for the game and narrative. Some of the ideas (from us and from you) vary from a personal airship to a hidden location in your mind, to an alternative dimensional pocket. What it won't be is your typical cozy home - it will fit the atmosphere of Torment's story and Numenera's world. We’ll surprise you with what it may be (and perhaps its form will even depend upon your choices within the game).

Emphasis is mine to help those that find reading bothersome but are still somehow interested in Torment game.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Crafting defeats the entire purpose of the rp part in rpg's. It's munchkinism. When I play an rpg I want to go on quests, discover ancient ruins, battle otherwordly foes and take their weapons and armor. Not run around gathering shit so I can make a slightly better sword. In settings where ancient magical weapons are crafted eons ago by legendary smiths it hardly makes sense for me as a player to make stuff that rivals the weapons of legend. I really despise it.

This. Takes all the magic out of the game. I actually once ragequit NWN: HotU after being offered a +12 enchantment for my sword in a shop. :oops:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Crafting defeats the entire purpose of the rp part in rpg's. It's munchkinism. When I play an rpg I want to go on quests, discover ancient ruins, battle otherwordly foes and take their weapons and armor. Not run around gathering shit so I can make a slightly better sword. In settings where ancient magical weapons are crafted eons ago by legendary smiths it hardly makes sense for me as a player to make stuff that rivals the weapons of legend. I really despise it.
yeah, man. baking bread in ultima sure was munchkinish. :roll:

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
P. pointless to argue since most people have their views on crafting colored by shit games where crafting isn't the only thing done poorly.

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Fuck man, at this point I'm pretty sure I must have suffered a massive stroke a few months ago, all of this is just a dream and i'm just laying in a blissful vegetative state in a puddle of my own feces as a nurse comes and wipes my ass on the daily...there is simply no way so much incline is possible in the 21st century.

I'm certain 2008 me would slap myself for even suggesting such a crpg renaissance was even possible.
It's just your new Utopia Chip, congrats!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The crafting system in Mask of the Betrayer was ok IIRC.
Nah, it was absurdly OP.

Complaining about hypothetical crafting elements seems silly to me. It's obvs not going to be a typical crafting minigame.

jewboy

Arbiter
Hating games like Skyrim is one of the defining characteristics of a Codexian. If you like such popamole shit then you are here for all the wrong reasons. Not that I can imagine what they might be. Perhaps you should consider the Bethesda forums instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom