Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Telepath Tactics Kickstarter: Video Q&A, Last Stretch Goals and 42 Hours Left

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Sinister Design; Telepath Tactics

It's been many days since we last covered the new Telepath Tactics Kickstarter campaign, and I'm glad to say it has been doing pretty well. Now, at over $36,000 at the time of writing and with about 40 hours left to go, it needs just a little closing push to make it to the $38,000 stretch goal - a branch in the main campaign - with all other relevant stretch goals already met:

Achieved! $22,000 - Extra Character Classes with Animated Sprites. This was easily our most popular stretch goal. Reaching this goal means that we'll have more visually distinct class sprites around to use for stuff like unit promotions!

Achieved! $28,000 - Dungeon Tileset with Traps, Openable Doors, Scripted Levers and Buttons. This is a really cool stretch goal because it not only means a bigger variety of tiles, it also means a wider variety of ways that characters can interact with the battlefield, which in turn means bigger mission variety.

Achieved! $34,000 - Randomized Battlefield Generation. This was the third most popular stretch goal. Procedural level generation is really tricky to pull off well, but it adds a ton of replayability when it is! Reaching this goal means I can take some time off of work to code this feature properly.

$38,000 - Extra Branch in the Main Campaign. Only just narrowly edged out by random battlefield generation, the Extra Branch stretch goal means that I will present the player with a significant decision during the campaign; this choice will affect which missions the player gets from that point forward.​

For those who hear about it for the first time, Telepath Tactics is a tactical RPG for Windows, Mac and Linux in the vein of Fire Emblem and Disgaea developed by Craig Stern of Sinister Design. It features destructible terrain, 22 unique character classes, and other features that will hopefully make it a decent to good TRPG.

There have been quite a few updates to this Kickstarter already and I won't cover them all. Here's the latest one, though - a video Q&A featuring Craig himself and a lousy built-in mic:

If Telepath Tactics looks like something you might enjoy, the Kickstarter is this way. $10 gets you a digital copy of the game.

deamento

Scholar
is it just me or does anyone else find it weird that someone who only made flash games suddenly does a big project like this?

Vulcris

Novice
Did you try the Demo? What's the problem?
oh i'm not saying it's bad. it's just that i remember playing flash games by the same name and i find it weird that's all

Belgian patriotism. Swen is a jealous god.
we actually have a shrine for swen. it's a 10 feet tall golden statue of him.

it seems it's because he couldn't stand anymore that people dismissed his games for having shitty graphics that he decided to make a kickstarter to buy somme graphic assets

Elthosian

Arcane
I don't mind the flash stuff (UI needs some work tho, but that's what the KS money is for), I truly loved what I played in the two demos and while I planned to leave my pledge at 10$ due to T:ToN, tomorrow I am going to the bank to get some more money into my account and upgrade to the 25$ level.

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer
Graphics, combat, moddability...pretty much every damn thing has been overhauled from the earlier games.

I think you'd be surprised at just how many pro-level, well respected game developers got their start using Flash. ;)

visions

Arcane
The demo crashed on me when I got the healer chick injured in the weapons depot fight. First I got what I assume to be her standard response when permanently injured (saying she should have had stayed on the farm), then I got another message along the lines of "The player should not see this something something", after which the game crashed and I had to close it with task manager.

Otherwise enjoyed the combat.

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer
The demo crashed on me when I got the healer chick injured in the weapons depot fight. First I got what I assume to be her standard response when permanently injured (saying she should have had stayed on the farm), then I got another message along the lines of "The player should not see this something something", after which the game crashed and I had to close it with task manager.

Thanks for the bug report; I'll look into that!

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
is it just me or does anyone else find it weird that someone who only made flash games suddenly does a big project like this?
It's not that big. Big for one person, yes, but... not that big. Not in terms of, like, writing. Making up a world. Creatively exhausting stuff. I'm not saying Mr Stern isn't doing any creative stuff, I'm just saying he isn't making Torment 2. Like... yeah. Bigger than a flash game, yes, but not like "oh my god what is he doing I can't believe it".

I enjoyed the demo, besides having to wait for enemy turns.
Oh and the bad tiling of ground tiles/textures.

Repressed Homosexual
Graphics, combat, moddability...pretty much every damn thing has been overhauled from the earlier games.

I think you'd be surprised at just how many pro-level, well respected game developers got their start using Flash. ;)

At least promise us you will never use this generic art style ever again.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Hey man, I hate to do this but I've got to cancel my pledge. I've got like $2 in my bank account right now because I lent a friend some money. Is there a way I could Paypal you cash in a week when I get it back?

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer
Hey man, I hate to do this but I've got to cancel my pledge. I've got like $2 in my bank account right now because I lent a friend some money. Is there a way I could Paypal you cash in a week when I get it back?

Oh, shit! Yeah man, that's totally fine. I'm going to come up with some kinda Paypal thingy soonish, once the campaign ends.

kazgar

Arcane
Barkley 2 developer spends funds on kickstarters and dodgy loans, news at 11!
(unless kickstarters are nothing more then dodgy loans anyway)
Err, just kidding.

Anyhow, 4 hours to go! Exciting.

Now awaiting twitch.tv livestream of Craig hanging about pressing the reload button a lot...ok, maybe not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom