Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Sword of the Stars: The Pit Available on GOG

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: GOG; Roguelike; Sword of the Stars: The Pit

Turn-based sci-fi roguelike Sword of the Stars: The Pit, a spin-off of the space 4x game series, is now available on GOG.com for (currently) $7,49, 25% off the listed price.

What's cool about it:
  • A Sci-Fi dungeon-dive adventure with 3 player characters -- the mighty Marine, the brainy Engineer, or the thrifty Scout -- using hundreds of items and weapons to face off against dozens and dozens of monsters over 30 floors!
  • A new randomized Pit to explore each time you start a new game!
  • Turn-based game play allows you to play for a few minutes or a few hours!
Overview:

A deadly plague ravages your world. Your last hope: a legendary alien facility dug deep into the Feldspar Mountains... a massive Pit, built by the ancient Suul'ka.

Sword of the Stars: The Pit is a fun, fast, light-hearted turn-based RPG, where the tradition of Rogue and other old school dungeon-diving games meets the sci-fi Sword of the Stars universe, where the question to ask isn't "Did you make it to the end?" so much as "How far did you make it into The Pit before the monsters got you?"

Ancient alien underground complex is just as good a setting for a roguelike game as any other dungeon, so find out just how deep you can get in this modern Sci-Fi turn-based RPG. Be brave, press on for the sake of your planet, and when all else fails, go out in a blaze of glory!​

By buying it via the affiliated link, you also support the Codex, for what it's worth.

Last edited by a moderator:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Konsensus seems to be that it had potential, but fails to keep itself interesting through the 30 floors, becoming a extremely boring killfest the deeper you go.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have played this game to the point of exhaustion (seriously, I actually was late to work a couple of times because of that "one more turn..." effect) and I'll be happy to share any thoughts on the game. Ask me anything about it :D
I guess asking You if You like it would be pointless, so tell me the what's so good about it that made You be late for work. ;)

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I have played this game to the point of exhaustion (seriously, I actually was late to work a couple of times because of that "one more turn..." effect) and I'll be happy to share any thoughts on the game. Ask me anything about it :D
I guess asking You if You like it would be pointless, so tell me the what's so good about it that made You be late for work. ;)

I like quite a few things about the game. Hopefully, I'll be able to properly communicate this :D

For starters, I like the fact that the game is turn-based but only enforces that feeling of turn-basedness when there are monsters around. Don't get me wrong, every move IS a turn but when you clear a floor of the enemies or there aren't any near by then the game just let's go of that stop-and-go mechanic which makes for a smoother experience overall.

Secondly, I truly enjoy the fact that everything has a use in this game. All three stats are equally worthy of upgrading, the skills they affect are also useful in their own way and you'll end up using just about every skill in just about every run. The bits and pieces of your enemies allow you to craft things that help you along your way. Got some razorteeth off a Zu'ul swarm, some binding off a bat, and some bone slivers? Get to a lab and you get three improvised lock picks, which really help out in a pinch. Every drop has a use whether it's a scent gland or electronic parts, you're sure to unlock a recipe that will use the things that you find. I have yet to find ONE superfluous item in this game.

Thirdly, the game allows you to fail. I know that for most, failure is not seen as something positive and that some players want insta-wins and AWESUM! (tm) buttons etc. etc. SOTS: The Pit doesn't try to hold your hand. It's up to YOU to manage your hunger, your ammo, decide which skills and stats you are going to improve as there are no autolevelling schemes or any of those "Hey! You should upgrade this and that because it's the best thing ever for <class_name>!" helper pop-ups. Having played the game for a while now, I have died from all sorts of things, whether it was something that ate me or I let a disease run its course or just plain starvation, I don't recall ever dying the same way twice :D.

Regarding the art style, I personally enjoy it as it takes the edge off the fact that there is not one single friendly NPC in the game :D This game really wants you DEAD :D.

As far as controls go, I enjoy the fact that the default control scheme allows me to just play the game without having to consciously remember what does what AND, if you're a keyboard warrior like I am at times, you can play this game without having to use a mouse if you so choose. WASD moves you around, F is for fire weapon/melee attack, H removes the HUD completely in case you need to aim at an enemy who is visible at the very limits of your LoS (line of sight), the arrow keys can be used to aim at a specific spot or monster, and you can assign up to 4 shortcuts for your favorite weapons (numbers 1-4). The inventory also has some decent options: you have a drop all command and a button that reorganizes your inventory and places things next to each other via their category so, for example, if you have 3 or so guns and you click to reorganize the inventory, the game will put them all together for you as best as it can, depending on how full your inventory is at the time.

Hope that helps :D

getter77

Augur
Also worth noting that a rather substantial looking expansion by the name of Mind Games is coming this summer that should flesh things out quite a fair bit on top of their ongoing patching efforts---the dev team seems to have a particular love of the competent streamers on Twitch.tv as far as addressing concerns and just screwing around with them.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Good and bad things that can happen in the game:

Some of the things that can go wrong:

So far I have died to explosions, bullets, lasers, fire, traps, poison, radiation, disease + radiation, hunger, eaten by disguised enemy, eaten by flock of enemies, immobilized and eaten by large enemies, confused and blown myself up, failing skill check on repairing stuff and probably more that i can not remember off hand. I really hate acid traps/monsters. explosive traps/attacks, and laser attacks because they typically destroy items in my inventory along with lots of damage. You should identify item mods and stat mutagens to see if they are positive or negative effects before using them, and I think the color coding for them is random for each new game. Use of area effect attacks/traps by yourself or the enemy will destroy any useful computers, devices, containers, craft stations. Confused enemies will destroy anything around them including computers, devices, containers, craft stations, etc... There is a hard stat cap at 100, so if you have 100 invested in a stat any future items that enhance the stat are useless.

Some positives:

I really like how the game records successful recipes and allows you to view the list of known recipes with all characters. High finesse characters can out run some enemies. High might allows you to resist negative status effects outright and reduces their duration if a save fails. High brains adds a positive modifier to most non-combat stat checks so you do not need as high of skill to do some things and reduces reliance on consumable skill enhancement shit. Confused and berserk enemies will attack each other, so its great to make items that cause those effects, although only berserk is reliable for that. If you invested 100 in a stat and then equip something that reduces its value the game allows spending points on that stat until 100 is reached again (removal of the negative modifier wastes those stat points). Multiple skill enhancing consumables can be used at the same time. Some door traps and skill failures have positive effects, but that is far from common.

That is all i came up with off the top of my head.

I'm trying to decide whether to buy this. Seems like low codex consensus. Can anyone convince or unconvince me? Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom