Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Divine Divinity Interview at RPGRadar

Mistress

Liturgist
Tags: Divine Divinity

<a href="http://www.rpgradar.com/">RPGRadar</a> have posted an <a href="http://www.rpgradar.com/exclusives/divdiv.html">interview</a> with <b>Frederik De Caster</b> of <a href="http://www.larian.com">Larian Studios</a>.
<br>
<br>
Here's a taster:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>RPGRadar- Do you personally feel that Divine Divinity offers the players something that other RPGs don't? What makes Divine Divinity stand out more than all the other RPGs on the market?
<br>
<br>
Fredric - Divine Divinity is a mix of some of the best role-playing games around; we tried to use the best elements of other role-playing games and combine them into 1 game. We took the action from Diablo, the story from Baldur's Gate and the interactivity from the Ultima Series. Especially the interactivity is something I miss in some of the recent RPG's, if I see a barrel I want to be able open it, move it around, crush it, ... In most other RPG's items are just part of the scenery which is a pity according to me.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Spotted over at <a href="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPGDot</a>

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Unfortunately, they put a little too much, "action from Diablo 2" in the game. That's what eventually got me to stop playing the title, there's just way too much combat in it.

triCritical

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
Unfortunately, they put a little too much, "action from Diablo 2" in the game. That's what eventually got me to stop playing the title, there's just way too much combat in it.

I think the keywords are pointless, uneccesary, empty calorie combat! I think developers need to start asking themselves why they are putting certain things into the games they are making.

Flarnet

Liturgist
And regardless of which class you play the combat is far FAR too easy.

What is so hard to grasp about having fewer and harder fights? Not that the diablo-esque fighting in DD lends itself especially good to tactically complicated fights, but there are certainly other possibiities than mowing down 2000 orcs that die the second you lay your eyes on them.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Flarnet said:
And regardless of which class you play the combat is far FAR too easy.

What is so hard to grasp about having fewer and harder fights? Not that the diablo-esque fighting in DD lends itself especially good to tactically complicated fights, but there are certainly other possibiities than mowing down 2000 orcs that die the second you lay your eyes on them.

What?! I was getting my ass kicked all over that game.

Jed

Cipher
It annoyed me that I was asked to go into a Goddamned dungeon within ten minutes of starting the game. That always puts me in a bad mood. Suffice to say I skipped Div Div and moved on to Prelude to Darkness and never looked back.

Jed

Flarnet

Liturgist
Ooups, almost forgot that in the first 15-20% or so of the game (until you cross the bridge basically) you get your ass handed to you. Especially so if you are a fighter I hear (that is, I played as a fighter and got my ass handed to me, though I hear from people who played other classes that it was a breeze).

So Saint_Proverbius, where about did you jump ship in DD?

Crazy Tuvok

Liturgist
I agree -waaaaay too much combat in DD. It is not a bad game, but I quit it without finishing (or even getting close) as it just didn't keep me interested.
It got a few things right and there are some genuinely interesting moments but...
If you are thinking of picking up DD do yourself a favor and head over to spiderwebsoftware.com instead.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Flarnet said:
So Saint_Proverbius, where about did you jump ship in DD?

When I fled from an elite orc wardrummer to some friendly soliders, and the elite orc wardrummer proceded to wipe the floor with about a dozen of them.

Crazy Tuvok

Liturgist
The designers were on the right track with many of their ideas - (mostly) classless characters, interactivity with the world etc.
But they got the implementation wrong. The "special" attack of the three classes is kind of silly (not to mention the voices for said classes - tho you never hear them). Interactivity is great and part of this is very cool - exploration yields sometimes discovery; move that barrel and lo and behold a secret passage. More often tho it is dressing with no salad. I was far more engaged with the interactivity of FO and PS:T - that is I enjoyed being able to click on anything and get a description more than I was with being able to move barrels. I think they could have (and may still) make a good game given their design desires - DD is not it.
On top of which the world itself is incredibly generic - Orcs are bad, elves are aloof and good at archery...snore.
It is not just that the fantasy realm is overdone (it is), but it is done the same goddamn way every freaking time. I am not suggesting that things be overturned for the sake of overturning them, but how about some unique take on the common themes or a unique exploration of the common themes? I actually am expecting this from ToEE; DnD can be fucking great -it just so rarely is in a CRPG. Troika is the best bet at this point I think, tho I admit to a lurking hope for Jefferson. More DnD sure but it sounds like BIS may be trying to do something a bit differently with it. All of which is sure to be either fubar'd by the brain stems that frequent their boards (Azael as an exception) or criticized by same.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom