Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Might & Magic X Update: All About Hirelings + Soundtrack Bonus Vote

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Limbic Entertainment; Might & Magic X: Legacy; Ubisoft

The Might & Magic X Legacy team is on a roll lately. They're written a nice update about the game's hireling system:

When you’re out for an adventure, it’s always nice to have some company. In MMX, you can have up to two hirelings who join your party. There are many different types of hirelings, but in general the deal is always the same: You gain something from them, but you have to pay them for it.​

804033hirelings.jpg
The two beauties to the left and right of your party are your hirelings.

Some NPCs will offer to join your party as hirelings. You can accept their offer only if you have one or two free hireling slots (they’re the smaller portrait slots on the left and right of your party). Hirelings will cost resources, but they have positive effects on your party. These effects can either be​

- permanent
- on demand (which may mean you have to pay an extra fee whenever you make use of your hireling’s service)
- once a day (counter resets by daybreak)​

They come in different flavours
There are lots of different types of hirelings. Here are just a few examples:​

The Scout: reveals information about monsters and reduces their aggro range. Also, he increases the exploration range on the minimap.​

The Victualer: allows your party to rest once a day for free.​

The Mule: adds another tab to the party inventory. A real weight carrier! (Yes, an animal can be a hireling, too.) ;)

The Chef: every time your party rests properly, he will cook up a delicious meal that will give them the “well rested” buff.​
It’s a shame you can only have two!

So the difficulty lies in picking just the combination of hirelings that fits your party best. If you’re not pleased with the services of your hirelings, or if you found a better hireling, you can always fire them. They will vanish immediately, no hard feelings, and they won’t sue you either. There is an exception though: sometimes a hireling will also join your party temporarily as part of a quest line. You can’t fire those hirelings before you have finished the quest step you need them for.​

In addition to that, there's a new bonus vote, this time relating to the game's soundtrack. Voters are asked to pick their favorite song out of three, and the winner will be featured in the game. Since the songs in question have vocals, I assume it will be played in the game's taverns.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
the more i read about it, the less i want to play it despite being a tb blobber junkie.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
the more i read about it, the less i want to play it despite being a tb blobber junkie.
Why? Not trying to be sarcastic, but what don't you like so far? According to Luzur, who has access to an early build but without violating his NDA, he feels the game plays as an HD version of Xeen. All the info so far released seems to point in that direction with the exception that it will be a lot shorter game.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Why? Not trying to be sarcastic, but what don't you like so far? According to Luzur, who has access to an early build but without violating his NDA, he feels the game plays as an HD version of Xeen. All the info so far released seems to point in that direction with the exception that it will be a lot shorter game.
no sf, 4 man party, hirelings are just static buffs, class based system without training... it's harder to distance myself mentally from the previous games than it was with xcom.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:? The songs are appalling.

Not really. Approach them as you would an amateur trying to demonstrate the basic melody and style to you, and try to imagine how they would sound if vocalized by a professional singer.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
no sf, 4 man party, hirelings are just static buffs, class based system without training... it's harder to distance myself mentally from the previous games than it was with xcom.
There is some training.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If they actually manage to appeal to mainsteamers with this tripe bullshit, then more power to them. I've got nothing against it if that's what their goal is. Is that their goal? Hmmm, I wonder. Looks like folly to me, but I hope they prove me wrong. I'm seriously not trying to randomly piss on things for hate's sake, it's just that something about this whole endeavor rubs me the wrong way. It just doesn't seem as genuine as some of the other recent classic gaming efforts we've seen. Everything seems a bit off. I don't honestly think these devs know what makes a god M&M experience. I think thy were given a job and they're faking it. Something here simply doesn't add up. Oh well, i hope I'm wrong.

Am I alone in feeling this way, though?

Repressed Homosexual
To hell with this garbage, it's evident to everyone now it will be an underwhelming piece of trash. Charles' game is the real sequel to Might and Magic.

My ears bleed with those insipid, horrid songs.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

They're an unknown Eurodev under Ubisoft's boot. How the fuck do you expect to feel?

We have an agent in place, Luzur. When he says it's good, it's good. Other than that, all you can do is follow the news.

Repressed Homosexual

They're an unknown Eurodev under Ubisoft's boot. How the fuck do you expect to feel?

We have an agent in place, Luzur. When he says it's good, it's good. Other than that, all you can do is follow the news.

When you're dying of thirst everything that looks like water refreshes you.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I agree with HHR. Two years ago, I would have slurped this cum without question, but recent events point toward a new age of incline. Now, i feel like I've seen the true stuff. Prophets like Fargo have shown us the light. My body is ready, yet I say no to rapists like BG: Enhanced and MMX. Let the false ones beware, for we are Codex and we shall not be raped without taste!

Wise Emperor

Arcane
Even though I'm not a big fan of blobers I have more faith in this project than in new Shadowrun, we have more info about former than latter and I like what I read. Hell, Wiseman and team didn't even answered the question from the Codex, if I remember correctly. Lack of communication, disappointing cuts to the game, shenanigans with publisher and people whine more about new M&M than community based Shadowrun. Fuck this world.

Luzur

Good Sir
I seriously doubt Luzur is so desperate for his MM fixthat he would extol nonexistent virtues at the behest of popamole shovelware developers.

if i could, i would give you access to the demo, pics etc so you could see for yourself, but if i do anything like that, i would have to burn my MM collection and move to France, according to the NDA.

but i am actually kinda geared up for this game, even if its from Ubisoft.

so if i, one of the more bonehard MM veterans, is willing to put my bucks on this game from one of the big devils of mainstream gaming companies, i would believe that you could too.

but again, that is just me, i got the right feeling from this game (atleast that demo did) and i have no clue how bonehard you guys are.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I seriously doubt Luzur is so desperate for his MM fixthat he would extol nonexistent virtues at the behest of popamole shovelware developers.

if i could, i would give you access to the demo, pics etc so you could see for yourself, but if i do anything like that, i would have to burn my MM collection and move to France, according to the NDA.

but i am actually kinda geared up for this game, even if its from Ubisoft.
wikileaks that shit ;)

Repressed Homosexual
Prophets like Fargo have shown us the light.

...and asked for your money. :smug:

As for Humanity has risen!, I find his lack of French patriotism disturbing. :smug:

I'm Quebecois, not French, the two cultures have nothing to do with each other. And if anything I despise Ubisoft and how they make a mockery of our government by getting such absurdly high subsidies, which is the only thing making their gigantic AAA teams viable in the first place.

The francophone I am rooting for in this case is Charles.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
If they actually manage to appeal to mainsteamers with this tripe bullshit, then more power to them. I've got nothing against it if that's what their goal is. Is that their goal? Hmmm, I wonder. Looks like folly to me, but I hope they prove me wrong. I'm seriously not trying to randomly piss on things for hate's sake, it's just that something about this whole endeavor rubs me the wrong way. It just doesn't seem as genuine as some of the other recent classic gaming efforts we've seen. Everything seems a bit off. I don't honestly think these devs know what makes a god M&M experience. I think thy were given a job and they're faking it. Something here simply doesn't add up. Oh well, i hope I'm wrong.

And you actually think Sawyer and Fargo can deliver? Don't answer that.

Arkeus

Arcane
I am a bit annoyed at the comparison between MMX and BG:EE. BG:EE is vapoware- or, more precisely, re-selling an old game with Bugs added in.

MMX might be horrbile (i hope not!) but at least it's a new game.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus

And you actually think Sawyer and Fargo can deliver? Don't answer that.

Okay.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Edginess overload ITT.

Might and Magic 8.

4 man party
Might and Magic 6-9.

hirelings are just static buffs
Again, just like the later games in the series.

class based system without training... it's harder to distance myself mentally from the previous games than it was with xcom.
The only different thing in your list. Now, you may be butthurt because these things don't align with the gameplay of your personal favorites (presumably MM3-5), but claiming it's a complete blasphemy to the franchise or something is more than pushing it.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The only thing that bothers me so far is that it will be a much shorter game than previous M&M's.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom