Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Backspace: Obsidian's unproduced "Sci-Fi Skyrim"

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Backspace; Bethesda Softworks; Obsidian Entertainment

The folks at Kotaku have uncovered the details of yet another Obsidian title that never came to be. It's called Backspace, and it may not be entirely dead. Here's the introduction:

Imagine, if you will, a massive role-playing game featuring guns, time travel, and a nasty alien invasion, all built on Skyrim's engine, with Skyrim's "Radiant AI" system.​

That's Backspace, a project that was once under development at the studio Obsidian, I've learned from sources. A small team was designing and prototyping the game in early 2011, and although progress never got very far, concept art and design documents reveal an ambitious project that could interest a lot of people, if it's ever made.​

Obsidian, of course, is the Irvine-based game studio responsible for Fallout: New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, and the upcoming RPGs Project Eternity and South Park: The Stick of Truth.​

I reached out to the studio yesterday to ask for comment, and Obsidian boss Feargus Urquhart told me that Backspace is still on the shelf somewhere.​

"Backspace was a project concept that we neither cancelled nor greenlit," Urquhart told me. "We had some great people work on the idea for Backspace for a bit of time and then moved them off to other projects as opportunities came up. We've been around for ten years now and have had a bunch of great ideas that we still have sitting around that we may be able to return to in the future."​

Hopefully this is one they revisit, because it sounds fantastic.​

So what is Backspace? Here's how an Obsidian design document described it:​

BackSpace is a single-player action-RPG set in a scifi space environment with simple elements of time travel. The combat is paced similarly to Skyrim, but slightly faster since there is no concept of blocking. The easiest way to look at it is a mix of Mass Effect, Borderlands, and System Shock 2 for gameplay and setting.

It was to be developed in some sort of partnership with Bethesda, I've heard, and it'd use the same engine as their ridiculously-successful role-playing game Skyrim. Although Backspace wasn't an open-world game, players would be able to travel between a number of planets as well as one large space station.​

The rest of the article has more excerpts from the design document, and lots of concept art. What do you think, Codex?

Stabwound

Arcane
The words "Sci-Fi Skyrim" evoke worse feelings than just "Skyrim" and that's saying something.

boltrek

Literate
They should make a sci-fi RPG about the Gamebryo engine. The player character gradually discovered that he is inside a virtual reality due to all the glitches and bugs in the system. Kinda like the matrix.

Wizfall

Cipher
Not interested.
Convinced me even more that we will probably never see a TB cRPG from Obsidian, even as a kickstarter project.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
:bounce:

5tewn7U.gif

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
You people are fucking hopeless. For most of you, the state-of-the-art of computer games designs should have been frozen in time sometimes circa 2001. You already stopped making a difference between decline and evolving the state-of-the-art and you're stuck in this sad and pathetic reactionary mindset if anything post-2001 is implemented.

boltrek

Literate
You people are fucking hopeless. For most of you, the state-of-the-art of computer games designs should have been frozen in time sometimes circa 2001. You already stopped making a difference between decline and evolving the state-of-the-art and you're stuck in this sad and pathetic reactionary mindset if anything post-2001 is implemented.
That sounds about right. Didn't Xbox come out about then?

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
i don't inherently have any issues with Skyrim-likes...what bothers me about games like that is beyond pretty graphics the gameplay is subpar and the story, npc's and quests are too shallow.

I mean, are there even any romances in Skyrim?

Wizfall

Cipher
Evolving the state-of- the-art :)
So why do we have almost exclusively shitty games since 2002 ?
Funny guy or clever troll.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

If evolution = going from going from Turn based, or RTwP RPG to action RPG, I'll stuck with my reactionary mindest, thank you.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
skuphundaku overreacted, but seriously, if you're going to whine about every AAA RPG Obsidian tries to make, you have a lot of whining ahead of you

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom