Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Might & Magic X Update: Julien Pirou on the Origins of Might & Magic X

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Julien Pirou; Limbic Entertainment; Might & Magic X: Legacy; Ubisoft

In an update posted today on the Might & Magic X Legacy open development blog, creative designer Julien Pirou tells us a bit about his background, about previous attempts to create a Might & Magic sequel (one of which became Arkane Studios' action-RPG Dark Messiah of Might & Magic) and about the genesis of the current Might & Magic X.

Creating a video game is a huge endeavour mobilizing the energy and effort of dozens of people, so nobody can really say “this is my game”. This is also the case for Might & Magic X. However, I can at least brag that I’m the one responsible for Might & Magic X being in development in the first place.​

Might & Magic X: Legacy has been in development for more than a year now (the first proof-of-concept prototypes were created in May 2012), but this is only the culmination of an arduous journey, the latest chapter of a long adventure that, for me, started in January 2004. Back then, I was an 18 years-old geek having just graduated in Applied Arts, dreaming of working in the video game industry.​

I had been a fan of the Might & Magic series since the early nineties, having started with Might & Magic II on the Sega Mega Drive. So when I learned that Ubisoft (whose offices were virtually two streets from my small, one-room flat) was buying the rights to Might & Magic from the then-dying 3DO Company, I was at first thrilled. All I had to do was to be hired by Ubisoft to work on my favourite series, right? How hard could that be?​

So I started writing the first draft of a story for a potential Might & Magic X, which I planned to send to Ubisoft. My story would take place on Axeoth, tying together several plot points that I considered "loose ends" of Might & Magic IX and Heroes IV.​

After a few weeks of work, I eventually gave up. It was the result of what you could call a “reality check”: after all, I was a freshly graduated 18 years-old with no experience in the writing or making of video games whatsoever, apart from creating mods and maps for my favourite games on my spare time. So I ended up working in a different sector entirely.​

Sometime after that, Ubisoft announced they were dropping the "Ancient universe" to create their own continuity and their own setting, Ashan. Because I believed the Ancient universe deserved a proper send-off, my old MMX story draft became the basis of a campaign I created for Heroes V, Legends of the Ancients. And as it turned out, that campaign would get me hired by Fabrice Cambounet of Ubisoft to work on a map for Heroes V (the "Dark Messiah" map included in the Heroes Complete box); then, two years later (in late 2009), to be invited by Erwan Le Breton to officially join the Heroes VI team as level designer. Funny how life works sometimes…​

But I was still thinking of Might & Magic X. Why was Ubisoft not making a new Might & Magic RPG? Well as I learned, there had actually already been several attempts to create the long-awaited tenth installment...​

Julien reveals that, while MMX was conceived and pitched months before the release of Almost Human's Legend of Grimrock, one of that game's prerelease trailers was instrumental in successfully selling the concept to Ubisoft's upper management. Good thing they didn't notice it had real-time combat, eh, Julien?

Dorateen

Arcane
Finally, a reasonably intelligent development post! Although first playing Might & Magic II on the sega version is kind of weak. I liked his mock-up of the screenshot for one of his game pitches. I would play that.

Also, the line about "the most old-school gameplay we could get away with..." really makes it sound like some kind of underground smuggling operation, design documents hidden in brown paperbags, trying to hide their intentions from mainstream studios and casual gaming audiences.

Telling times, indeed.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Great read and I think it really shows his passion for the series, even though he started on the mega-drive version (were they that different from the PC versions?). I had never heard of Ubisoft Partners before but do like that they even have that division and now seem willing to develop/market "niche-selling" games. I hope that this game exceeds Ubi's expectations (showing that there really is a market for these mid-tier games) and more of these "niche" titles get green-lighted.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Great read and I think it really shows his passion for the series, even though he started on the mega-drive version (were they that different from the PC versions?). I had never heard of Ubisoft Partners before but do like that they even have that division and now seem willing to develop/market "niche-selling" games. I hope that this game exceeds Ubi's expectations (showing that there really is a market for these mid-tier games) and more of these "niche" titles get green-lighted.

Well, EA used to have a similarly named "EA Partners" division, although they were more about providing publishing services to developers who already had their own ideas, not about seeking out external developers to create games pitched by their (Ubisoft's) own employees. So yeah, it is pretty unusual.

Luzur

Good Sir

there where some differences, although kinda minor ones.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

there where some differences, although kinda minor ones.

Any specifics as I'm actually interested and might go looking for one (as well as a Mega-drive itself)? I've heard that the Ultima IV one is also very well done but I've been unable to find a complete copy with map. Had one many years ago and, of course, let it go for a song. :(

CraigCWB

Educated
Finally, a reasonably intelligent development post! Although first playing Might & Magic II on the sega version is kind of weak. I liked his mock-up of the screenshot for one of his game pitches. I would play that.

He was 7 years old at the time, it seems. When I was 7 years old the most advanced game I knew how to play was "Go Fish" with a deck of cards. We didn't have computers back then, though, so that's prolly why young people today are so much smarter and more capable than us old time gamers. Where my awesome button at, bitches?

Also, the line about "the most old-school gameplay we could get away with..." really makes it sound like some kind of underground smuggling operation, design documents hidden in brown paperbags, trying to hide their intentions from mainstream studios and casual gaming audiences. Telling times, indeed.

Makes him feel like a rebel and champion of old school leet, no doubt. Whatever. Everyone likes to feel they're doing good work. It's fine, as long as they actually deliver.

Luzur

Good Sir

He was 7 years old at the time, it seems. When I was 7 years old the most advanced game I knew how to play was "Go Fish" with a deck of cards. We didn't have computers back then, though, so that's prolly why young people today are so much smarter and more capable than us old time gamers. Where my awesome button at, bitches?

i guess that was in the middle 70's then? when i was 7 i was typing C64 code and loading games on tape by my own with my older brother, and that was in 1987.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom