Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Legend of Grimrock 2 Weapon Mechanics Update

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Almost Human Games; Legend of Grimrock 2

It's been a while since we had a worthwhile Legend of Grimrock 2 update. Today's post on the game's official blog explains how the game will improve upon its predecessor's weapon mechanics:

Let’s take a look at a familiar weapon the dagger (see below). As you can see we have changed some of the item statistics to reflect the underlying game mechanics better. In the Grimrock 1 a bigger value was always better, but unfortunately the values were quite abstract. For example, the graphical interface showed an abstract statistic called “attack speed” and the player probably had no way of telling how attack speed was internally translated to a cooldown value. One of the goals of the new system is to make it less opaque, so that’s why instead of abstract “attack power” and “attack speed” statistics, the item tooltip now display a damage range and a cooldown value in seconds.​

However, a much bigger improvement is the addition of secondary actions. Many items in Grimrock 2 will have two actions. The first one is the primary action that is most natural for the item and it can be activated quickly with the familiar click on the attack button. For example, the primary action of the dagger is a melee attack, but in Grimrock 2 you can also throw a dagger by holding the attack button down briefly. The buildup time for secondary attacks varies per action, so that simple actions such as throwing can be executed very fast, but more powerful attacks and abilities take considerably longer.​

Some secondary attacks can be very powerful. For example, the longsword (see below) can deliver mighty Thrust attacks that have improved damage and much higher accuracy. It can also bypass enemy’s armor to some extend — enemy’s armor value is reduced by 20 points for the duration of attack so it’s much more effective against armored foes. To keep you from spamming special attacks and increase the importance of tactics, the special actions usually have an energy cost and sometimes a limited number of charges. We are also toying with ideas of level and skill requirements for some of the most powerful special attacks.​

Talking about charges, the problem with items with charges, is typically that the player saves these items for special combats. Usually this means that these items will actually never be used and just pile up in the inventory. That’s why most items with charges will have another use in Grimrock 2. For example, the Meteor Hammer, a new weapon for Grimrock 2, has a melee attack in addition to its devastating Meteor Storm attack. This way a front line fighter can still use the weapon even after all charges have been used. Also, its much more convenient to shoot a fiery storm of death from an item held in hand than go rummaging through the backpack in the middle of hectic combat.​

We are still toying with the secondary attacks and things might still change considerably. We have some pretty interesting abilities planned for new items, and there are other things in the plans as well, for example, to make certain monsters resistant and weak against certain attacks. But the addition of secondary actions has already made a big impact on the feel of the combat. More choices, more tactics. Buildup times of special attacks affect the rhythm and pacing of combat. Combat in Grimrock 2 will be different affair than in Grimrock 1!​

Different? Different is good.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Four hours and no comments yet? I guess now that we've entered the age of incline* nobody gives s fuck about Legend of Grimrock anymore.

:troll:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sounds good. If the game is not very deep RPG\stat wise, they might as well make the action\player skill parts more enjoyable, and this new weapon system sounds like a step in the right direction.

Hoping new monster behavior will be more interesting than in the first game, too.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Talking about charges, the problem with items with charges, is typically that the player saves these items for special combats. Usually this means that these items will actually never be used and just pile up in the inventory. That’s why most items with charges will have another use in Grimrock 2.
Maybe it was because there was no "special combats" in Grimrock... apart from one or two swarms of mindflayers and the final boss, every battle was just "meh"...

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think I liked the combat best when enemies pretty much worked just as obstacles in a puzzle. 'Pure' combat encounters were just dull and easy.

Anyway, I hope they put a lot of focus on puzzles and secrets, I'd like those to be the meat of a game like this.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
In before dumbfuck turnbased elitists. Oops, too late.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Almost Human said:
In the Grimrock 1 a bigger value was always better, but unfortunately the values were quite abstract. For example, the graphical interface showed an abstract statistic called “attack speed” and the player probably had no way of telling how attack speed was internally translated to a cooldown value. One of the goals of the new system is to make it less opaque, so that’s why instead of abstract “attack power” and “attack speed” statistics, the item tooltip now display a damage range and a cooldown value in seconds.
Wait... People couldn't figure out that Attack Speed == Cool-down time?

Really?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I think the issue is that it wasn't clear how much difference "+3 attack speed" would mean in seconds of cooldown time.

But that's such a minor issue, is not like the game even has room for you to worry about min/max builds or some shit...

sser

Arcane
Developer
I liked the part in Grimrock where non-puzzle combat was total fucking shit. They should produce more of it. More! Like huge, Lord of the Rings battles. I want to samba my way into hordes of orcs.

sser

Arcane
Developer
You use the exact same strategy throughout the entire fucking game. At first it's just a little tense. Because, you know, nasty giant spiders and such. But then it's a little tedious, because there's more of them and not much is changing. And at first glance you're like, well the combat is kinda stupid now, but there's skill trees and the mage has some spells so maybe it'll pick up later. But then you realize none of it's interesting or really that impactful. And then you get to a point where you're opening and closing a door, smacking a monster inbetween gaps before it can react, and you think, Boy, I hope there's not much more of this. But oh, there is. Because opening and closing doors and circle-strafing ad nauseum is the game's combat. And while using these nonsensical strategies that are completely unrelated to your characters' strengths or weapons, you wonder, what the fuck am I doing? Then you get further and further into the game, and all those really interesting parts like puzzles and level design and hidden treasures kinda thin out and you're faced with giant rooms chockful of HP-bloated enemies, by which point you realize the act of literally going downward through all those levels was a subtle metaphor for the trajectory of the game's overall quality.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Fuck you, it was fine.
no. it was a simplistic and stupid mess, just like dungeon master.
puzzles and hidden shit were alright, but the combat was just meh. if you really need to do rt, go single character and make something like arx fatalis or daggerfall. if you really want to make a party, go tb and try to add depth. party and rt just doesn't mix.

Eyeball

Arcane
I'd agree with that, really. Unfortunately, it was so combat heavy that the unbelievably clunky and dreadful combat UI sort of ruined the experience for me. I quit around one of the lower floors.

Which is a shame, because it both looks and sounds amazing and the puzzles are pretty good.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Fuck you, it was fine.
no. it was a simplistic and stupid mess, just like dungeon master.
puzzles and hidden shit were alright, but the combat was just meh. if you really need to do rt, go single character and make something like arx fatalis or daggerfall. if you really want to make a party, go tb and try to add depth. party and rt just doesn't mix.

It's a genre. Don't like it? Fine. But don't say... er... well it would be better as Arx Fatalis. Different type of games.

Stabwound

Arcane
The main problem with the combat is that pretty much any 1 on 1 fight that doesn't take place in a corridor can easily be won without even getting hit once by a player with a little bit of manual dexterity even on the highest difficulty level. The other problem is that the game would have sucked with locked-in Wizardry-style combat, too.

Everything about the game is pretty awesome besides the combat, but the game just wouldn't have been as good if it was free-roaming or had turn-based combat.

Is it possible to complete the game on the hardest difficulty without combat dancing at all and just taking everything toe-to-toe? I'm guessing not.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Everything about the game is pretty awesome besides the combat, but the game just wouldn't have been as good if it was free-roaming or had turn-based combat.
That's like saying Doom wouldn't have been as good if it had turn-based combat.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
It's a genre. Don't like it? Fine. But don't say... er... well it would be better as Arx Fatalis. Different type of games.
dm clone is not really a genre and genre wise not much would have changed with a switch to either single dood with more combat options and control or party based tb.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's a genre. You can just as glibly say Diablo-clones aren't a genre but they are. And there is certainly a difference when you're balancing a party versus one person.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Toorum mode, bitch (actually it sort of makes the game easier). Also, to clarify, I don't think Grimrock wasn't without its flaws but the answer to that isn't to abandon the genre it is to improve upon it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom