Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Might & Magic X Update: Combat Mechanics Overview

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Limbic Entertainment; Might & Magic X: Legacy; Ubisoft

Today's Might & Magic X Legacy open development blog update is a thorough overview of the game's combat mechanics. Here's an excerpt:

COMBAT

When it's your party's turn, each character can do one of the following:
  • execute a ranged attack
  • execute a melee attack
  • cast a spell
  • execute a warfare ability
  • prepare to defend attacks
However, ranged attacks can only be launched against monsters that are not adjacent to the tile the party stands on and has no blockers in the direct line between party and distance monster.

TARGETING

When the party is engaged in combat with a group of monsters, one of the monsters in front of the party is selected by default as target for melee attacks or spells. You are free to switch selection to any other monster in front of the party without restrictions and as often as you like. If the selected monster is not in front of the party anymore (for example because it got killed or the party has turned by 90°), another monster gets selected automatically to be the next target.

ATTACK PROCEDURES

Hit Chance
Party characters and monsters have an attack value for melee and/or range attacks. Characters get their attack value from skills, monsters have a fix value. The attack value and the defender’s evade value determine the hit chance for a strike (strikes are part of attacks).

Armor Value
Each armor has a certain armor value that reduces the incoming melee and range damage by a certain extent.

Resistance Value
A character's resistance towards the different schools of magic determines how big the chance is that the respective character avoids a spell/magic effect of that school. Also, the incoming magic damage of that school is decreased by a certain extent.

Defend Action
If characters use the defend action, their turn ends and their evade value is increased until the start of the party’s next turn.

Strikes
Both melee and range attacks consist of strikes. A strike is the confrontation of an attacker and a defender. Some skills may add additional strikes with a certain weapon (this only applies when the attacker has two melee weapons equipped) to a certain target during the attack.

A default range attack consists of one strike with the character's range weapon, while a default melee attack consists of one strike with each equipped weapon. Strikes for the main-hand are always executed before strikes with the off-hand.

Both monsters and characters have a certain amount of block attempts at each enemy's turn.
Check out the full update for more information and some nice screenshots of the party fightin' nagas. I love that combat log.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
P. simplistic, there better be enough enemy and enviroment variety to keep things fresh

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
There's almost a hundred (relatively) different creatures in HoMM 6 and as it seems that that's the list they are drawing from, I would cautiously expect the variety to be ok on that account. Doubt they'll take the full arrange, though, considering that theirs isn't the biggest game around.

Dorateen

Arcane
I've always thought Nagas should have been introduced sooner in the Might & Magic RPG series, after they showed up in the earlier Heroes games. It will be a delight to take them apart in Legacy. (Actually, they were pretty good units in Hereoes II or III, and should make worthy opponents here.)

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
To me the combat mechanics look pretty good, except for this:

Strikes
Both melee and range attacks consist of strikes. A strike is the confrontation of an attacker and a defender. Some skills may add additional strikes with a certain weapon (this only applies when the attacker has two melee weapons equipped) to a certain target during the attack.

This practically begs me to create a party full of angsty Drizzt elves.

Achilles

Arcane
Sounds good, all the basic options are there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom