Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Sawyer discusses release plans for Pillars of Eternity with Eurogamer

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: J.E. Sawyer; Pillars of Eternity

In an article aptly called "So, Obsidian, when is Pillars of Eternity coming out?", Eurogamer seeks release information from Project Mama Josh Sawyer. He reveals the following tidbits.

On release date:
"But until we get really close to releasing the game we don't want a specific release window, because we're not a publisher, we don't have to! Virtually nothing good comes from us releasing a date before we're very confident in it. It's not going to be in spring; we're going to be working into spring to get alpha done because it's a big game."​

On the current state of the game:
"more than half the content of the game is done, at least to an alpha state."​

On alpha/Early Access:
"We are going to be having a [beta] section of the game that the players can play through to get a feel for all the mechanics and style of character interactions and all that kind of stuff."​

On quantity over quality:
"We would rather have a lot of monsters and some of them be polished and some of them be pretty good, because variety is an important thing in a game this size."​

Sawyer concludes the interview by saying "keep up the good fight, Roguey."

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I edited it in 10 seconds after posting and before your post.

Jew.

Athelas

Arcane
There is an extra column to the side of the article that's easy to miss:

Bugged by bugs

Obsidian's work might be wonderfully creative, but it's also been criticised for being unfinished and with bugs in the past. With Pillars of Eternity having no publisher deadlines, however, Obsidian has a chance to shake that negative association and make this game the most polished the studio has ever released.

"Yeah, I'd say it certainly has a chance to be that," said Sawyer. "I will say, though, that the often overlooked Dungeon Siege 3 was actually very very stable.

"I know it takes a long time to shape a reputation with these things. Yeah, we have had a lot of problems in the past, and a lot of it is our fault of course, but also a lot of it is due to publisher pressure and not sufficient QA on things.

"We can release this when we need to, and obviously we have monetary concerns just like everyone else, but our reputation is very important to us, so we want to make sure that this is as stable and reliable and bug-free as we can make it."

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
true though, ignoring the terrible camera in multiplayer, ds3 was very solid engine-wise.
On current state of the game:
"more than half the content of the game is done, at least to an alpha state."​
so they have nothing...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Damn shame all the monsters aren't going to have the same level of quality.

Good luck figuring out a price point for early access that won't upset backers. +M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Good luck figuring out a price point for early access that won't upset backers. +M

Fuck 'em. Seriously, if there's a trend of the past six months that I've come to hate it's this phenomenon of "price whining".

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
It was clear they couldn't hold their release date, but I secretly wished they had to release at this exact date or all pledgers get their money back. And when they released it, it would suck so heavily, that all Obsidian's cocksuckers are fucking angry.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth

Fuck 'em. Seriously, if there's a trend of the past six months that I've come to hate it's this phenomenon of "price whining".

People will always be butthurt upset. How long is the pricing thread for the original Wasteland on steam by now?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't get all these people wanting early access. Why spoil yourself on a buggy, feature-incomplete version of the game when you could just wait and get the finished experience when it comes out?

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I don't get all these people wanting early access. Why spoil yourself on a buggy, feature-incomplete version of the game when you could just wait and get the finished experience when it comes out?

That I don't get either.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

So you can see how much it sucks and complain about it on the Codex provide helpful feedback to the development team to make the game better, of course.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So not only you are depriving yourself of a lot of the fun of discovering the game in its intended state, not only you are spoiling yourself, but you are also working, for free, for the developers ?
Awesome deal!

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, I think I'll stick to waiting until the game comes out.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm not sure how it is called in English, but in Russian it's butt itch.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
most people are big on instant gratification.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Damn shame all the monsters aren't going to have the same level of quality.
That's a given with any game though. More significant stuff sees more polish, less significant stuff sees less. It doesn't mean that "less polished" means "bad" either, Obsidian is just saying that they value quantity of enemy types over making each and every one of them look fantastic (by whatever standard that may be).

SophosTheWise

Cipher
Yeah that whole early access stuff sucks. I remember longing for games to be released. I'd go to the stores every day in the week before the release in hope of somewhere magically getting the box I've hoped for so long. And then, on the way home I'd read the booklet and be even more excited. Once I got home I installed it for an hour or so, getting more and more hyped until I could finally go into the game for the very first time. Man, that was magical. :desu:

Today it's just "Oh look, there's an incomplete buggy mess for 50$ on Steam, I'll take it" :popamole:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom