Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #45: Beta Update + Twitch Livestream

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Fargo; Chris Keenan; InXile Entertainment; Matt Findley; Wasteland 2

The Wasteland 2 beta received its first major update today. The new version's features, which include a completely new UI and improved combat mechanics, were demonstrated live on camera by the crew at inXile:

The Kickstarter update released several hours later provides more details:

This is just a short update to notify all of you that some of the things we've been talking about of late are now live: the beta update, the $10 add-on and some new videos. First and foremost, the large beta update has just gone live on Steam.

The full list of fixes and tweaks runs well over 2000, you can view the long patch note list here, which runs the gamut from optimization to fixing small and large bugs to expanding the game's content. We also updated the beta's reference card and expanded it a little bit. As a reminder, this update will break existing save games.

The most immediate difference you'll notice will of course be the updates character and inventory screens. Update 43 had the goods on that so I won't go over it again in detail, we're looking forward to seeing people play around with it. Other than just looking better the new inventory adds a lot of functionality such as an all-party inventory and direct mouse-over comparisons between an item with your currently equipped item (by holding shift).

The second big thing is the addition of the fifth major location in Arizona, the Prison, which was formerly the Ranger Center, now taken over by a rival militia. Ranger Team Echo heads into the Prison in search of ways into Damonta, a town seemingly unreachable beyond a radiation wall.

Combat sees a significant overhaul in this update. We added stances and expanded the use of destructible cover and height advantages and ladders used by enemies. These combat improvements are still WIPs so expect more iteration and functionality going forward.

Of course there are a lot of smaller updates to existing areas. We changed and expanded the ways some of the major scenarios in the first areas play out, as well as adding smaller events and missions, many of which have an impact on larger quests down the line. And just as a reminder, while the beta is limited in areas we are simultaneously working on later areas in the game, tweaking and iterating and applying the lessons learned from the beta.
Here's a list of the major new updates in this version, from the patch notes:

Brand new icon based inventory, character sheet, skill screen and support UI elements

Huge combat pass. Animations (tons of new death and damages), SFX, VFX, AI all greatly improved.

Added destructible cover

Surgeon and Field medic have been greatly improved. Now when using the skill, a list appears with all useable items

Quality Settings check on game load.

Added Mechanical Repair Skill

Introducing grenadiers and heavy weapons AI experts

Added Prison map

Added reactivity state where both Highpool and Ag Center can fall.

Multiple improvements have been made to the save game system which were causing save games to not load

Multiple engine optimizations have been made to increase performance.

Multiple compatibility fixes.​

The destructible cover is pretty cool - check out the battle at around the 34 minute mark of the livestream for an example. And there's lots more where that came from, including important features such as "Ag Center: Add cow shit to east field, make sure all shit has good examine text". :salute:

If you're a Wasteland 2 Kickstarter backer who didn't pledge enough to get the beta, you can grab it now for ten bucks over at Ranger Center.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I was able to see the live stream and they even responded to some of my questions.
The wonders of technology...

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Only update I want to see now is that the final release has been uploaded to steam. Don't want to play a beta, don't care about changes to a beta, just gimme the fulll game.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Only update I want to see now is that the final release has been uploaded to steam. Don't want to play a beta, don't care about changes to a beta, just gimme the fulll game.
Come back in 6 months.

himmy

Arcane

Are we just randomly posting stuff we don't care about in this thread? Cause it's gonna go from news-post to megathread in a second.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Something I forgot to mention in the OP is that new death animations are in the game, with more on the way, including decapitation/gibs.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech

Are we just randomly posting stuff we don't care about in this thread? Cause it's gonna go from news-post to megathread in a second.

I do care about it, I was commenting on the never ending prick tease that is KS updates (not just inxile guilty of this either).

bledcarrot

Educated
Just watching the stream then, this is looking so much better since I last checked in, which was I think the first build released. Still not a fan of the icon based inventory, but combat looks vastly improved and context window for skills is awesome. Excitement is rising. Only thing I'm still tentative about is whether or not it has an open world feel to it. A lot of the maps felt extremely linear in the original build and similarly so in what was shown above. Having said that it was clearly a small area they were showing off. Very encouraging though.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Something I forgot to mention in the OP is that new death animations are in the game, with more on the way, including decapitation/gibs.

I asked how are the critical death animations in respect to Fallout's and the guy responsible with the animations (for the whole game) said that Fallout's animations were sprite based and thus they had a larger creative freedom because of that. But that doesn't mean they don't have some tricks up their sleeve. And they also intend to implement more animations and flying body parts because how cool they look. They're currently working on their flying body parts "technology". The guy enters at 27:38 on the twitch feed.

Also the shotgun spread is so wide because this is more fun instead.

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

Did they say that during the live stream? That more were on the way? Think I missed that :)

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Yes. Yes I did.

And the next patches in 3 weeks time, will be even better.

WL2 shaping up to be a classic.

Darkzone

Arcane
Yes Daedalos it is pretty bold, despite that the Wasteland 2 crew does something to the addressed problems, and perhaps the Fargo Fanboy tag, will be even more a patch medal of honor, than we all have thought. ;)
But the Shotgun and the MG spread does look quite promising.
Nevertheless i've got to try the build now before i make any concrete comments towards it.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
I've run the beta and it still keeps my GPU load at 100% constantly with the fans spinning like crazy (gtx 760) which is concerning because I ran a bunch of graphic intensive games and my videocard was not an oven because of that.

Those wooden boxes as destructible cover collapsing under gunfire is pretty uninspired.
They should break under the blast of a grenade/rpg only.

I wonder what I have do spew to earn a Troika fanboy logo around here!

Last edited:

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
I've run the beta and it still keeps my GPU load at 100% constantly with the fans spinning like crazy (gtx 760) which is concerning because I ran a bunch of graphic intensive games and my videocard was not an oven because of that.

Is this with the latest update?

If you'll send your specs and graphics settings + output log to Brother None, sea, myself or support@inxile.net, we'll take a look at it.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Official press release!!

Newport Beach, CA – After two months of Early Access inXile Entertainment has released the first major update for Wasteland 2. The update delivers over 2000 bug fixes, gameplay features, performance optimizations and balance improvements along with hours of new content.

The Prison level is a major location added to the beta. This new map features more well-armed, well-prepared and dangerous foes than the Rangers have faced so far, and it will take superior decision-making and tactical prowess to get out alive with the information they're looking for. Additional smaller maps have been added along with the major location, significantly expanding the game.

The game's new icon-based, grid inventory harkens back to classic cRPG titles. The flexible inventory and character screen mesh well together to manage multiple nackpacks and easily move around items and equip your rangers, while the hand-crafted icons give each item that much more personality.

Many new features have been added to combat, including shotgun and SMG spreads, the use of skills in combat, destructible cover, stances, death animations, improved visual effects and AI and flexible use of height and ladders. Random encounters have been expanded and improved making world travel all the more dangerous. Bug-fixes and optimization passes ensure a significantly smoother experience. Finally there have been significant improvements to the way skills such as Surgeon and Field Medic work.

With the new "Prison" map the early beta now offers five major location and an estimated 30+ hours of gameplay.​

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign

If you'll send your specs and graphics settings + output log to Brother None, sea, myself or support@inxile.net, we'll take a look at it.

This was also the case with Expeditions: Conquistador, it's something to do with the Unity engine. Fixable though as it didn't happen with Shadowrun Returns.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik

I've sent an email at support@inxile.net with a DxDiag.txt file attached.

I'll upgrade to the latest nvidia drivers and see if this persists

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This was also the case with Expeditions: Conquistador, it's something to do with the Unity engine.
It was a bug in E:C. They forgot or didn't know how to limit something, so it went at full speed no matter what.

SRR didn't have the same problem and it was Unit.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
This was also the case with Expeditions: Conquistador, it's something to do with the Unity engine. Fixable though as it didn't happen with Shadowrun Returns.

We turned vsync on by default with the latest update in part to address some of this, at least temporarily. For example, on certain configurations the main menu would run at hundreds of fps. Addressing this kind of stuff is definitely on the list of things to do.

I've sent an email at support@inxile.net with a DxDiag.txt file attached.

I'll upgrade to the latest nvidia drivers and see if this persists

Awesome thanks an engineer is going to look into it today.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom