Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #45: Beta Update + Twitch Livestream

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
This was also the case with Expeditions: Conquistador, it's something to do with the Unity engine. Fixable though as it didn't happen with Shadowrun Returns.

We turned vsync on by default with the latest update in part to address some of this, at least temporarily. For example, on certain configurations the main menu would run at hundreds of fps. Addressing this kind of stuff is definitely on the list of things to do.

I've run the beta and it still keeps my GPU load at 100% constantly with the fans spinning like crazy (gtx 760) which is concerning because I ran a bunch of graphic intensive games and my videocard was not an oven because of that.

Is this with the latest update?

If you'll send your specs and graphics settings + output log to Brother None, sea, myself or support@inxile.net, we'll take a look at it.

I've sent an email at support@inxile.net with a DxDiag.txt file attached.

I'll upgrade to the latest nvidia drivers and see if this persists

Awesome thanks an engineer is going to look into it today.

I've installed the latest nvidia drivers and was still the same.

Then I chose the lowest graphic quality. The GPU load ranged between 75% and 85% whick is still too high if you ask me. ( test as mab on the radio station map)

Then I started to check quality options one by one to see what options affect the GPU load.
It seems it depends on the SSAO, shadows and texture quality.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
This was also the case with Expeditions: Conquistador, it's something to do with the Unity engine. Fixable though as it didn't happen with Shadowrun Returns.

We turned vsync on by default with the latest update in part to address some of this, at least temporarily. For example, on certain configurations the main menu would run at hundreds of fps. Addressing this kind of stuff is definitely on the list of things to do.

I've run the beta and it still keeps my GPU load at 100% constantly with the fans spinning like crazy (gtx 760) which is concerning because I ran a bunch of graphic intensive games and my videocard was not an oven because of that.

Is this with the latest update?

If you'll send your specs and graphics settings + output log to Brother None, sea, myself or support@inxile.net, we'll take a look at it.

I've sent an email at support@inxile.net with a DxDiag.txt file attached.

I'll upgrade to the latest nvidia drivers and see if this persists

Awesome thanks an engineer is going to look into it today.

I've installed the latest nvidia drivers and was still the same.

Then I chose the lowest graphic quality. The GPU load ranged between 75% and 85% whick is still too high if you ask me. ( test as mab on the radio station map)

Then I started to check quality options one by one to see what options affect the GPU load.
It seems it depends on the SSAO, shadows and texture quality.

Thanks for the info.

SSAO is probably the worst offender of the bunch right now.

There will be a new frame rate throttle toggle in the graphics options menu either in a secondary hotfix or in the next update which will allow folks with high-end GPUs / SLI to throttle frame rate to prevent high loads.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I run other older games at over 200 FPS (Call of Duties for instance, CoD2 @ 333FPS locked, CoD4 at 250FPS locked) and the GPU usage isn't really that high. There must be a solution for it other than throttling frame rates.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
I run other older games at over 200 FPS (Call of Duties for instance, CoD2 @ 333FPS locked, CoD4 at 250FPS locked) and the GPU usage isn't really that high. There must be a solution for it other than throttling frame rates.

We could dig into the Unity source code deeper and fix the underlying issue, but it's likely something that Unity themselves will resolve because it seems to be a relatively recent development on higher-end hardware vis-a-vis Unity-powered games; so it's better for us to focus on what's in our wheelhouse.

If it's actually something that isn't going to be resolved closer to the metal, we'll tackle it prior to launch for sure.

Also :incline: for playing CoD2. I am a CoD / CoD 2 master.

Raapys

Arcane
Not sure I see the problem here. Assuming you have enough CPU power to keep the main loop going, the GPU *will* run at 100% unless fps has been deliberately throttled. That's the entire point; it has no concept of what is 'enough fps' for you unless you tell it, so it'll do its best to produce as many frames as it can.

The older cods manage that high fps without full GPU usage because they are much simpler graphics-wise.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
While the improvements are noticeable, the more time I spend with this game the more I feel like I gave money to an old VCR repairman to go out and buy an iPhone only to have him butt-dial me at 4AM a year and a half later.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
Also :incline: for playing CoD2. I am a CoD / CoD 2 master.

I only have some evidence left of my CoD2 ownage. This is from a scrim back in 07.

Won an ace competition lmao

2009-2012 stuff in the Australian movie

ahahaha rofl @ first vid

second video has some badass stuff in it

CoD and CoD2 are probably my all-time favorite games, excluding the usual cRPG suspects. Gameplay was soooo good.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Agree man, I put a few thousand hours into them online. World War 2 is a much more satisfying setting for an FPS than Modern Warfare because of the different gun styles and fire rates and generally allows for more interesting mechanics, whereas MW is a lot more homogeneous. That said it is possible to do both well or poorly.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Agree man, I put a few thousand hours into them online. World War 2 is a much more satisfying setting for an FPS than Modern Warfare because of the different gun styles and fire rates and generally allows for more interesting mechanics, whereas MW is a lot more homogeneous. That said it is possible to do both well or poorly.

It's always good to see some shotgun justice!

bledcarrot

Educated
COD/COD 2...where those who couldn't cut it in MOHAA went to retain their sense of self worth :P I joke, I joke.

bledcarrot

Educated
Allied Assault was essentially an RPG though. It had class choice and the level ups came in server/clan respect. :troll:

Dead Guy

Cipher
Incidentally you CoD fags just solved my GPU overheating (well, not really, but insane fan noise) problem in PAYDAY 2. Frame rate limit was 150, and there too the freaking menu ran at 100% GPU usage. So stupid.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
Only update I want to see now is that the final release has been uploaded to steam. Don't want to play a beta, don't care about changes to a beta, just gimme the fulll game.

Are we just randomly posting stuff we don't care about in this thread? Cause it's gonna go from news-post to megathread in a second.

I do care about it, I was commenting on the never ending prick tease that is KS updates (not just inxile guilty of this either).
i'm a naive moron and i keep hoping that these delays will mean that the finished product is good, dammit.

HorseFD

Novice
The game actually runs at a decent framerate on my shitty computer now, so the update is a huge success.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
If it's actually something that isn't going to be resolved closer to the metal, we'll tackle it prior to launch for sure.

If you guys do manage to find a fix, please forward it over to those idiots at Limbic Studios. Might & Magic X is still almost unplayable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom