Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News Nuvie 0.5 Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: NUVIE; Ultima VI: The False Prophet; Worlds of Ultima: Martian Dreams; Worlds of Ultima: The Savage Empire

Nuvie, the Ultima VI engine remake which has been in development since forever, received a flurry of updates over the past few months. This has culminated in today's release of a new version, Nuvie 0.5. The project's website has the details:

The Nuvie team are proud to announce the special 11th anniversary release of Nuvie, Version 0.5

There has been a huge number of changes and enhancements since our last release. 350 commits to the source code. A summary of the major points are listed below.
  • Added the U6 end game sequence
  • Added in game menus where you can change lots of options without editing the cfg file.
  • Added custom paper doll art and custom actor tiles.
  • Added new game UI styles. (original+ and original+ full map.) video/game_style is used to choose what game style to use. fullscreen_map got changed to "new"style.
  • Added joystick (gamepad/controller) support which included major work done on making key bindings so that they are consistently configurable.
  • Added lots of new cheat commands and other key bindings including TOGGLE_FPS_DISPLAY, QUICK_SAVE, and QUICK_LOAD.
  • Added new container gumps, wooden sign gump, and a new CommandBar.
  • Added new message scroll, Daniel's new U6 celestial ribbon and original_style CommandBar for new style.
  • Added U6 use telescope and use silver horn.
  • Added support for spawning mutant (two headed) actors and increase the number of temporary actors in Ultima 6 by 21
  • Started work on MD/SE music support
  • Added support for SE intro/menu/character creation sequences. (still needs a bit of work)
  • Added support for MD/SE portraits
  • Added support for lua script based usecode logic.
  • Fixed in-game font support for MD/SE, some issues with conversation scripts, and lots of other bug fixes.
We are now going to direct our focus to the two worlds of ultima games!
Awwww yeah. Here are a couple of screenshots that demonstrate the engine's new custom paperdoll and sprite features:

You can grab Nuvie here. For more screenshots and information, check out our thread, where team member Malignant Manor has been keeping us up to date with the latest news on the project.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Well, I feel pretty dumb now. Now I would like to know where are all the awesome fan-made games.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is this fully playable yet (meaning it can be played from start to finish)? A 0.5 release would seem to indicate the answer is "No."

It's been fully playable from start to finish since 0.4.
WHAT?! And you never told me?!!! See what happens when I don't spend all my time here on the Codex... darn real life and all it's impositions! :P

Going to go give this a try now...

Servo

Arcane
Would anyone actually recommend playing this instead of the original? Just curious.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Thanks for passing this news around. I've been meaning to play Ultima 6 and the World of Ultima games this year as they are the only Ultimas I never completed (besides U9, but the less said about that game the better).

Has anyone had any trouble getting the GOG version to work with Nuvie? I imagine it shouldn't be too difficult a task. There is some talk about Nuvie on the GOG forums, but with some bare mention of bugs.

Last edited:
You need to edit nuvie.cfg to point to the installation location of Ultima 6. I think hat I wrote is the default location.

Code:
 <ultima6>
  <gamedir>C:\GOG Games\ultima6</gamedir>
 </ultima6>

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom